gear advice sites?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dugan

Reaction score
I know someone who is planning a thru-hike of the AT next year. He's looking for websites that provide gear advice. I've suggested this one along with a couple of others. He is trying to go light. Any suggestions for other sites?

Oh yeah - also looking for suggestions for places for him to shop for gear in middle CT. His local EMS type of stores are inadequate when it comes to dealing with serious gear questions. I've suggested that he take a day trip to mecca... Campmor. I would think they'd be able to fit packs, provide advice, etc. Anywhere else?

I am also in a gear no where land and make the trek to Campmor when I need selection, help and time to try gear out. I have bought boots and packs there and have found the staff to be helpful and patient with getting me in the right gear. I think some one on the site once recommended the Catskill Hiking Shack as a good place for boots.

http://www.catskillhikes.com/

Ditto On Poison Ivy - One will find virtually everything one could ask for at WB. Also, if you can agree to his viewpoints, Dan Bruce offers a great site Trailplace - With that said, I beleive that many of the folks on WB were refugees from TP, myself included.
Another great resource is Appalachian Long Distance Hikers Association

FInally, if you want to get a better view of some of the gearlists and daily thoughts running through the heads of thruhikers, check out trailjournals.

Good Luck

Here are three websites loaded with objective information and advice:

Backpacking Light
Sgt. Rock's Hiking H.Q.
Biker Dave's Ultralight Page

The first site does cost money to join ($25 a year), but it is well worth it. I have heard more than one person say that it is the best source of objective information/reviews out there. The other two sites are also fantastic. The sheer amount of information presented on the websites is impressive.

John