Glacier, Tetons, and Yellowstone - honeymoon

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spencer

Reaction score
Maine Avatar: We could use some snow around here
Well, I asked Joanna if we could go to Baxter State Park for 2 weeks after we get married in Acadia, but she vetoed my idea. :eek:

Apparently, we have to leave Maine.

So, my wonderful resource of traveling hikers, where does a guy start planning a trip to Glacier, Teton and Yellowstone National Parks?

Give me recommendations for the best guide books to hiking in the parks.

Don't send me to the crummy NPS sites - I want the real deal! I want the MMG of Glacier - I want the Clark of Teton - I want the Metsky of Yellowstone.

I want, I want, I want....

bring it on, please!

spencer

Tetons

Spencer,

First, congratulations. Second, my wife and I spent our honeymoon in the Teton's and two subsequent trips. I've got several books and maps I would be happy to send to you. I went through the same search for info. I have suggestions for lodging, day trips and multiple overnight trips for both the Teton's and Yellowstone.

Without question McReyonds is the place to stay (especially on a honeymoon in the Teton's).

http://www.mcreynoldsblacktailcabins.com/BlacktailLogCabin.html

Send me a PM with your address and I'll put the books and maps in the mail.

Last edited:
Not the metzky of anything...

...but I did organize a great Teton trip a couple years back. I would buy the trail's illustrated maps and just start staring at Trails. Then apply early for campsites....even if you may have to change them later.

I strongly recommend: Jenny Lake to Teton Village via hurricane pass and deth canyon shelf. You can do that in 3 or 4 nights (4 gives you a short day 3, Death canyon to Marion lake). Death canyon shelf has to be one of the most incredible places I have ever camped. You finish up on the top of the chair lift. Then you can hitch a ride back to your car (or do it at the beginning).

We did not enjoy Yellowstone very much. Seemed like too much of a tourist zoo...

Glacier is amazing, I would certainly recommend trying to get a spot (1 or 2 nights) at Sperry Chalet. Hike up is strenous, but make sure you hike out NOT the way you came in, but the other direction (via Gunsight pass)....its a long day but well worth it (13 Miles I think). Easy to hitch ride back to car on Going to the sun road.

Tetons.

For a hiking guide I have Schreier's "Hiking Grand Teton Trails". Don't know how it compares to other available books. It provides decent map excerpts for the described hikes. The trail descriptions include a bit of history and naturalist info. A summary at the back of the book organizes hikes as short, medium, or long. There is no similar summary that describes hikes as easy, moderate, or difficult.

If you're interested in doing some class 3 or class 4 scrambles - challenging, but non-technical stuff - there's no better book than Ortenburger and Jackson's "Climber's Guide to the Teton Range". IMO, the class 4 East face of Teewinot is not to be missed.

The National Geographic map for Grand Teton National Park is decent, but not stellar; it's 1:78,000 with a contour interval of 80 feet. It's fine for most things.

I would suggest starting in Yellowstone . with a hike in the Lammar valley ,You will hear wovles howling, see grizzles eagals and lots of elk. There are both NPS campgrounds that have bear canisters and full utlities . Pick up a guide book as there are some nice hot springs that you can hike to and if you are so inclined camp near them you will be required to have a bear proof canister by the NPS

Then Grand Teton NP the hike inot Garnnet canyon is not very difficult untill you get near the LowerSaddle a 11,600 . If you and your wife are comfortable and skilled on moderatly technical Rock with some serious exposure you can climb the Grand or for a little less excitment but still demanding is Middle Teton. I do nopt recomend any of the other routes on the Grand. The here are several lop hikes you can make that take you around the Tetons . All of them are worth while and desopite what some say most of the crowds stay close ot the roads and camp grounds . Treat your self to a real"western " style meal at one of the many restruants . Get up early and drive ot Jenny lake for a unforgettable scean as the sun truns the Tetons gold and orange and if ther is some snow it is even more spectaular. Paintbrush Canyon is a great hike. You can get some good guied books and check out what you like. If you want send me a PM if you want more info some of the climbs and trips you might be interested in. Once again you will be requiored to have a bear proff cansirter. and watch the madatory bear video . Nopte that bear proff does not mean the bears will not try to get at it and some have only to leave them un opens but moved from where you have put it. the bears do go above treline and are really a sight i saw a huge bear on a hike he was much to intersted in berries to really bother me he just stood up looked at me from a distance and went back to his berries.
I think you will enjoy both places greatly get all the mapsand info you can it will make your trip all that much better.

Skip Yellowstone

I've been to Yellowstone several times now (including last year), and the experience I've had gets worse every year.

It's an absolute zoo...picture climbing Mt. Monadnock on a beautiful Saturday afternoon during peak foliage...and then tripling the madness...that's pretty much the ENTIRE park :(.

Seriously though, Yellowstone is an OK destination if you are doing some other things in the area, but as a honeymoon destination, I'd strongely suggest you go elsewhere.

Also, might I suggest a honeymoon in the Canadian Rockies. It kills me to admit this, but the Canadian Rockies outclass any national park we have in this country (excluding Alaska). Banff is an EXCELLENT place to stay, and there is no shortage of amazing accomodations in that city, and also in Jasper, Lake Louise, etc. It would be my #1 North American choice for an awesome "outdoorsy-type" honeymoon.

I personally wouldn't advise against Yellowstone, altho I understand why others may, ...... it is what it is ..... and despite the "zoo" feeling that you may (or may not) experience, it is an amazing place.

That said, I will second the suggestion of the Canadian Rockies. And I agree with everything roadtripper says about it ....... :D

roadtripper said:
Also, might I suggest a honeymoon in the Canadian Rockies.
They are spectacular.

But if you visit the US and Canadian Rockies on the same trip, visit the US ones first. Too anti-climatic in the other direction.

Haven't been to Yellowstone since I was a kid, but it is a very unique area. IMO, worth seeing. Just put your crowd blinders on. And if you get on the trail, you will leave the crowds behind.

PS: The Grand Tetons and Glacier are also very worth seeing, too.

Oh yes, the desert southwest is also nice, but in a very different way. Nothing remotely like it here in the NE.

Doug

Spencer,

You are lucky enuff to be hooked up with a VERY smart gal. Follow her lead West!

Go to the Tetons - No place like em. At some point, stay at the AAC Climber's ranch and climb the Grand. Visit Surprise Lake and Taggert Lake in the backcounmtry and do a few overnight hikes, one of which is near Mt Moran.

Go to Glacier - Another world. Hiking there is big league, and bears are always a concern. But I think it does a fellow good to occasionally not be at the top of the local food chain. Lake MacDonald, Going to the Sun Road, St Mary's, etc. You can go wrong.

WRT Yellowstone - Can be VERY worthwhile. If you decide to go, PM me. I have a friend who lives in Bozeman and works for the concessionaire in the Park. We'll get you connected to some good stuff. ALso, BE SURE to visit Chico Hot Springs just outside the park on road up to Livingston. Think Francomia Inn with large swimming pools fed by natural hot springs. Plus, the road in there also serves as the local landing strip! A major hoot!

Congrats Big Dog,

cb

Getting ready to leave now, but you can check out our pictures/trip notes for Glacier, Tetons, Yellowstone (quick one day tour) here:

http://www.pbase.com/pudgy_Groundhog

I saw that somebody also recommended the Canadian Rockies. We just got back from a trip there (don't have the pictures up yet) and it was gorgeous.

We only spent one day in Yellowstone, but from that one day experience I liked the Tetons better.

What time of year are you going? That could impact your decision.

Um..

Yellowstone has EXCELLENT backcountry. I can see why people would be disillusioned if all they saw was off the road (crowds and such), but my wife and I absolutely loved the whole area and ranked it behind Denali NP on are all time favorite NPs (We have been in the BC for 28 NPs).

FWIW, when we went (Sept) there were no crowds. He did several days BC near MT. Sheridan (lower SW part). The damage/re-growth in this area, due to the fires in 98 are amazing. The thermals in the area are awesome. Want to see grizzlies? Almost guaranteed. 3 out of 5 days for us.

Jackson Hole is tremendous, but be advised there is not a good coffee place in the whole town which surprised us. Million Dollar Cowboy Bar, yes, touristy, but well worth a dinner/night.

PM me if you would like in-depth info.

Peace.

Last edited:
baxter is great, but Head West My Friend! Glacier is very beautiful, but it has been about 15 years since i was there, so i don't remember a lot of it. The going to the sun road was amazing, kinda scary in a larger vehicle. So don't rent an RV for the honeymoon. Bring some cd's too, all they have out there are horrible country music stations. very painful to the ears. maybe things have changed, but i doubt it. We also went to Banff across the border, and that was also tres beautiful. One other word of caution. Canadian bacon is not bacon. I ordered a bacon pizza there, i was very disappointed! Calgary is also fun, they had the olympics there back sometime last century. You can ride the olympic luge run for like 20 bucks canadian, which is about 1.50 americain moola. They don't even give you any instructions, just put you on the sled and send you down, quite a scary experience. it explains a lot of my neurosies today.

You might also want to check out yosemite, if your plans are not solid yet. could be quite romantic. even more so than the AT cafe for dinner. I went this summer, quite a beautiful place, but could be a zoo this time of year, who knows?

Congratulatiuons. You have recieved some good advice above. I have not been to the Canadians, but love Glacier-Yellowstone and especially the Tetons. The million dollar Cowboy Bar is touristy, but where else can you sit in a saddle for a couple of cold ones :D Two nonhiking considerations- a raft trip along the Snake is great fun, several outfitters in Jackson Hole, I love the Lewis and Clark crew. ALso consider a dinner at the Jackson Lake Lodge- great food as you dine looking at the Tetons, wait it out for a window seat- resv. are recommended one month in advance during the busy season. One caution- even if you are young and fit as your previous posts show, allow time for altitude acclamation, everyone reacts differently. Good luck and have fun!

DEFINITELY talk to Chomp!!! I believe that ClimbHi could also give you some good Tetons info.

As for me, all I can give you is my wishes of happy trails, and a good life together. You both deserve nothing but years of happiness together!

(BTW, I suspect that this thread will move you up quickly with tons of green squares!!! No fair! :D )

Congratulations, Spencer.

When will you be going out there and is backpacking on your agenda or must it strictly be dayhikes?

The season is not unlike Maine but consider that the base elevation is several thousand feet and you can expect snow to last longer in June, arrive sooner in September and nights to be much cooler.

How long will you stay?

One mistake that is too easy to make is to try to do too much in too short a time. You need, IMO, at least a week to truly discover and enjoy any one of the destinations you describe.

We spent 12 days there and got a taste, and possible itineraries for next time, in both the Tetons and Yellowstone. Most of the major mountains in the Tetons, I learned, required at least some technical climbing to reach the summit.

I'll check my maps and books at home and let you know what I found useful. Meanwhile, the Wyoming vacation guide is very useful for trip planning. There is much to do and see there besides the mountains but the mountains are never far from sight.