Glen Ellen Lodge (VT)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpinista

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if the lodges along the Long Trail are open in the winter? In addition, I'd be interested if anyone has been in the area of the Glen Ellen Lodge, Jerusalem Trail recently and can give me any beta on the water source there -- how plentiful?

I'm guessing that the lodges along the LT won't be crowded this time of year. Is that a safe assumption?

Thanks!

I've been at Butler and some of the other popular ones Kevin mentions on non-holiday winter weekends, and they've been empty, but I'd definitely avoid them MLK and the President's day weekends if you can possibly the college March break weekends as well. Otherwise, I don't think you'll have a problem. Ditto on the blazes and summer brushing and, of course, the weather comes in from the west, generally, so lodges on that side get dumped on up and down the GM spine.

We've stayed at Stark's Nest a few times and there was a good size group each time - it's pretty civilized and there was early (lifts closed) skiing at Mad River Glen. The trail was unbroken to Mt. Ellen, and there was nobody at Glen Ellen Lodge. Being used to NH's relatively crowded trails, I'm always surprised how few people hike in Vermont away from the popular spots. I recall water near the shelter, and there's also a brook just south of there on a spur trail. I doubt you'll have any water worries.