Good Deal on Garmin MapSource Software

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Rooney

Reaction score
Many of the Garmin GPS users here have also purchased the MapSource software. Garmin has recently upgraded this software (was called MapSource United States Topo, now called Mapsource Topo US 2008, Garmin Part Number: 010-11001-00) and it lists for $116.65.

You can purchase Topo US 2008 on Amazon for $59.10 (no tax nor shipping), and Garmin offers a $30 rebate for purchases between 6/1 and 12/1/07, so that brings the final cost down to $29.10. Such a deal.

Note: the rebate form requires the serial # from both the old and new CD cases. The rebate request must be postmarked by Dec 31, 2007, allowing that special someone to buy the software before the end of the month and give it to you for Christmas.

Wow, good price. Amazon is discounting the hell out of the Garmin 60csx too.
I'm considering getting that bundle. Do you know how Mapsource Topo 2008 compares to the National Geo gps maps? I understand that either map set works with the 60csx.

bob

I'm going to probably go for this. Do have any idea if you have to erase the previous version or whether this might just install right over the top? I have both Mapsource US Topo and US Nat'l Parks East.

Thanks

Peakbagr said:
I'm going to probably go for this. Do have any idea if you have to erase the previous version or whether this might just install right over the top? I have both Mapsource US Topo and US Nat'l Parks East.
Every time you load new maps, you erase the old ones. If you want maps from multiple mapping products, you have to load them simultaneously.

The basemap is the exception--it cannot be removed or changed.

Doug

Doug Paul,

Does this mean that all the maps I uploaded to my 60CSX with the previous version won't work with the 2008 version?
Would I have to reload all my maps?

Alan

Peakbagr said:
Does this mean that all the maps I uploaded to my 60CSX with the previous version won't work with the 2008 version?
Would I have to reload all my maps?
You can load maps from any combination of mapping products as long as you don't exceed the space limitations of the GPS. They must be combined in Mapsource, before loading them into the GPS.

EVERY TIME you load maps into the GPS, the existing maps are erased.

Doug