Good Geology Reads, Please

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

--M.

Reaction score
From

Views From The Top - Forums > Q&A
glacial cirque on carter ridge?

injektilo said:
Cirques are formed primarily due to frost wedging and are often associated with glaciers because the processes that form cirques are common geologic processes in glacial regions... therefore, a cirque is not always derived from a glacier. Small cirques are excavated beneath snowbanks even where no true glacier exists... snowbanks can grow into glaciers and large cirques are almost entirely the result of glaciers.

My undergrad degree was in geology though I haven't studied true geology in some time... I'm an environemtal consultant who deals mostly with groundwater... so any real geologists feel free to school me in glacial geomorphology. :D

Now, so as not to hijack Forestnome's wonderful thread, I place this question separately:

What books have you geologists, professionally-trained and otherwise, most enjoyed in your quest for understanding our mountains?

There have been some great book threads here, fueling much of my reading for the last year, but I'd like to see more on this topic, if you please.

Thanks,

--Mike

Written in Stone. by the Raymoses

It is a lay book. It is very well written. Alos Mountaineering Freedom of the Hills has a great section on geology.

You're right. They are good writers. Go to Amazon.com, type in the title and click to see inside the book. The introduction hooks you right away.

I borrowed a book from Hermit entitled The Catskills: A geological guide By Robert Titus. I found it pretty good without being overly technical or laden with geological terms I'm not familiar with. I'm not a geologist. Obviosly, it covers the catskills or the area in the hudson valley a bit though.

I got a book on Wrangell St Elias published by the USGS that is very technical on all the rock formations caused by glaciers in that NP. I haven't read it yet but it's on the radar for me.

Jay

Catskills - A Geological Guide by Robert Titus
Geology of the Adirondack High Peaks Region: A Hiker's Guide by Elizabeth Jaffe
Roadside Geology of Vermont and New Hampshire*** by Bradford B. Van Diver

*** The Roadside Geology Series is also available for several other states including Maine, New York, PA, Mass. Highly recommended. :)

i12climbup said:
Catskills - A Geological Guide by Robert Titus
Geology of the Adirondack High Peaks Region: A Hiker's Guide by Elizabeth Jaffe
Roadside Geology of Vermont and New Hampshire*** by Bradford B. Van Diver

*** The Roadside Geology Series is also available for several other states including Maine, New York, PA, Mass. Highly recommended. :)

Someone beat me to it... The Roadside Geology series is pretty good. The Roadside Geology of Maine was the first book I read when I moved here last year.

Two Suggestions...

I like these two a lot for general geology info:

"A short History of Nearly Everything," Bill Bryson -- Very well written and nice sections on the evolution of the science of geology and the notion of deep (geologic) time scales.

"Rising from the Plains," John Mcphee -- Beautifly written story of Am Rockies and and high plains. Check it out here

cb

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Another vote for the Roadsides series by Bradford B Van Diver. The NY book has an awesome section on Western NY and the Finger lakes District as well as the ADKs.
It is out of print (I think my copy is 1979 or 1980, but you can get a used copy here

Alan M. Cvancara, A Field Manual for the Amateur Geologist (John B.
Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1995)

Assumes you know nothing and want to learn lots. Covers a broad range of useful topics, i.e., landforms; effects through time; minerals, rocks and fossils; and "how to do geology" on your own. Useful across the U.S. And what other emeritus professor of geology quotes Hagar the Horrible and uses a family grave marker to illustrate the qualities of granite?

--M., a most excellent thread!

I'm going to Amazon to look for the "Roadside Geology" title, sounds about right for this interested lay person. I love books like this for reading in the tent or around the campfire. :)

Yeah, it's awesome, eh?

I'm going to start with the "Roadside" series, too. Also interesting has been the descriptions of the formation of ranges through the eras, including the addition of successive ranges to the Appalachians. To think of the Taconics being completely separate from the Appalachians -- and why -- has really been fascinating.

Thanks for getting us going with your glacial cirque question.

--M.

Now that I have a little more time, I'd like to elaborate just a bit on the Roadside Geology Series. (Personally I've only read the New York version, so I cannot honestly vouch for the others, but I believe they are consistent in format.)

There are two features of these books that make them very popular. 1) They are written in easy to understand terms. I know someone who tried to read the book and didn't enjoy it, others who loved it, YMMV, but I think that most people who buy this book and has an interest in geology will like it. Prior to reading the book I had very little knowledge in geology. Now, on a hike or driving in the car, without realizing I'm even doing it, I'll frequently point out different types of rock or what caused certain formations. 2) The book provides directions to specific areas of interest. Some of these places require a hike; others are right along the roadside ..... literally. So first you get a very interesting tutorial on a specific type of rock(s), and then you get information and/or directions for finding an example(s).

Enjoy ...... I don't think you'll be disappointed ........ this book rocks! :D :p

D.W. Caldwell is author of the Roadside Guide to the Geology of Maine, which includes a section on Katahdin. I do not agree with his interpretation of the glacial sequence (alpine glaciation following continental deglaciation), but other than that, a fine book.

Five (or six) of us are co-authoring a book on the geology of the White Mountains, which we hope to send off for publication some time in the next couple of years.