Good news for Pharaoh Wilderness Mill Brook Trailhead

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc McPeak

Reaction score
saratoga springs Avatar: Spring has sprung ... ju
And now for some good news for the board...

That perpetually flooded section of trail (before you can even get to the register!) at the Mill Brook Trailhead is on the DEC work docket for next spring. They plan to build bog bridging to cover the entire section. That will make my Lean-to clean-up trips much more pleasant.

Just goes to show what years of griping will eventually accomplish!

(...though maybe I shouldn't count my chickens just yet!...)

Doc McPeak said:
And now for some good news for the board...

That perpetually flooded section of trail (before you can even get to the register!) at the Mill Brook Trailhead is on the DEC work docket for next spring. They plan to build bog bridging to cover the entire section. That will make my Lean-to clean-up trips much more pleasant.

Just goes to show what years of griping will eventually accomplish!

(...though maybe I shouldn't count my chickens just yet!...)

hey doc, is this the same trailhead you come in on when you past the airport north of scroon lake???

if so i'll be the only one to say this, bummer. that's the best part when you come to the trailhead for crane pond....not only is it a blast going through all that water, it also keeps some people away :D .. anyway, the cars that have made it through the water through the years have been a 94' VW Golf, a 02' subaru, a 96' Jeep, and a couple pickups/....

man driving through that was is a blast and will surely be missed

happy hiking everyone

ADackR said:
hey doc, is this the same trailhead you come in on when you past the airport north of scroon lake???

if so i'll be the only one to say this, bummer. that's the best part when you come to the trailhead for crane pond....not only is it a blast going through all that water, it also keeps some people away :D .. anyway, the cars that have made it through the water through the years have been a 94' VW Golf, a 02' subaru, a 96' Jeep, and a couple pickups/....

man driving through that was is a blast and will surely be missed

happy hiking everyone

I believe it's the one at the end of Pharaoh Road. That trailhead has been a mess for at least 10 to 15 years.

lumberzac said:
I believe it's the one at the end of Pharaoh Road. That trailhead has been a mess for at least 10 to 15 years.

oh, is this the trailhead over near the Brant lake area??? if so, i was through there this year and yes, it's a mess...

thanks,

ADackR said:

if so i'll be the only one to say this, bummer...

No, Mill Brook is three miles south of Pharoah Lake, just above Brandt Lake. And if you like driving through the north access, the access to MB is almost as much fun!

The section they are fixing is after the parking lot, but before the register. A beaver swamp keeps the trail under 12 to 20" of water, and people end up clump hopping the vegetation to make it across. The area has been getting trampled into a mush pit so this will be a good thing for campers, this beautiful section of trail, and for us lean-to adopters hauling across supplies and loads of garbage!

This would make a nice ski route for you...