Gore-tex® PacLite® III waterproof-breathable laminate

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with this?
Gore-tex PacLite III waterproof-breathable laminate.
Go-Lite uses it to make a very light waterproof-breathable shell. I have had good experiences with Gore-tex XCR but find my shell a bit too heavy.

Not sure

I just bought a pair of Gore Tex Paclite pants from EMS prior to the "final four" trip. They dont say III after Paclite though. They weigh just about nothing. All zippers are "sealed" per se. They were unbelievable as far as venting. I went the whole day with a pair of tecwick pants on underneath, assuming that they would be fairly wet with persperation. They were completely dry, and in fact I slept in them. My problem came the next day on Cliff when I put a nice hole in one of the legs while burrowing through some blowdown. I know you (Neil) do a lot of bushwacking. The guy at EMS said they are good pants but he wouldn't get involved in a lot of true bushwacking as he didn't think they'd hold up. Now I'm back to EMS to get a gore tex repair kit, which I can live with given the rain/vent performance of the pant. Good luck. Lance

I love my 6 oz.paclite jacket made by OR, the zealot. one chest pocket and waterproof main zip very nice hood and no hand warmer pockets.I wear it in fall,winter, and spring.in the summer I wear as few clothes as possible and cary a golite 3 oz waterproof non breathable jacket on summits or in camp,hood no pockets.When hiking fast I wear as little as possible and cary synthetic insulation to put on when I stop.
Run me out in the cold rain and snow (GD)

Neil,

I second Slamdog's advice. A good product, but it has it's limits, one of which is bushwhacking through thick scrub. I've seen more than one Paclite jacket with multiple shreds in high abrasion areas. It's actually the face fabric that is to blame for the easy rips. Manufacturers market Paclite as a lighter weight alternative (and it is), but to make the jackets even lighter they often use a lighter weight face fabric.

If I were going to buy a lightweight waterproof breathable jacket, and planned to bushwhack often with it, I think I would buy the cheapest waterproof breathable jacket I could find (knowing very well that I would sacrifice some performance). That way, I wouldn't be too disheartened when it got shredded.

John

Amazing stuff Jeff-B!

My current jacket (XCR) is bomb-proof, bulky and heavy but I have yet to wear it on a bushwhack. Maybe that's because I havn't winter bushwhacked in the mountains yet. (Duh!) In winter on the trail I usually wear it over a very light synth shirt while hiking. At the top I remove it and put on a down jacket until it's time to go. Then I put the xcr back on. I'm always sweaty so maybe the lighter, flimsier garment is just the ticket for me, at least for nonbushwhack hikes.

pac-lite

Neil
I have a Golite Paclite jacket that is my most used shell. I usually hike with one or two midweight capalines under it and maybe a fleece vest. When above treeline or stopping to make camp I have a Integral Designs belay jacket that I put on OVER it. That works great since I don't have to freeze myself switching coats. ID jacket is pretty tough but not enough for busting thru brush though. It is very warm thoogh. I have done fair amount of bushwacking with the paclite jacket and it has a couple of holes but still does OK. The Golite coat could be a little longer. Another material you might look at is Event

How's THIS for light? I think I'll get one for summer hiking and winter running.

Neil; that is the 3 oz.jacket I refer to in post. very unbreathable but very wind and waterproof.I cary it on all my solo runs.Late winter on end of great range run on marcy all by myself i wore it over a mt.hardwear monkey fleece (14 oz.) and lay down behind some rocks for an hour to watch increadible storm clouds.Very good insurance for fast and light.also good for summer backpack trips to wear around camp at night,when it rains in the summer I wear as little as posible untill I stop.I use the OR paclite in weather that is 45 or colder and it works well.When fast hiking uphill I never wear even gortex unless weather is terible or I'm pushing through trees laden with tons of wet snow.My favorite winter hiking gear is the mt. hardwear transition featherweight,and or an old hooded marmot dri clime with under arm mesh and stretch panels on sides (was made for bicyclists and fits like a glove).
Run me out in the cold rain and snow (GD) or sunshine daydream!

grasshopper said:
My favorite winter hiking gear is the mt. hardwear transition featherweight
You don't mind that it dosn't have a hood or that it isn't waterproof?
So, the 3 oz Go-Lite wind shirt dosn't breath? I was thinking of getting it for jogging in the winter. Maybe the Go-Lite Paclite will turn out to be a jack of all trades for me.

Hey Neil;
I didn't read product description,same name,color but looks like an updated design over the ether that I have.Mine is two years old and made out of sil nylon.In regards no hood on transition:yes I wish it had a hood.I was thinking of sewing one on.That is why I still love my hooded driclime and use it as my second layer in very cold weather or when going through trees with snow.The transition though not waterproof does bead up water and just this sat. when "breaking trail" through wet evergreens for hours on santanoni's only wet through on forarms and was dry in 10-15 min on summit w a fleece layer over it.hiked out in steady rain for two hours and it did well could have easily dried out in camp to wear another day.