Gothics from the Garden, Aug. 20, 2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

Unregistered

Trail to John's Brook Lodge dry. Orebed trail dry until the steep part. There are 2 new staircases and more yet to be used wood planks, so I suppose there'll be another 1 or 2 sections of stairs to come. On top of the current stairs the steep rock was wet and so we had to go off to the side a couple of times to avoid that. Gothics trail was dry. The cables are up. Gothics to Upper Wolfjaw, muddy areas but easy enough to get around. Upper Wolfjaw to Wolfjaw junction, plenty of slick steep areas that require care. From Wolfjaw junction through the South Side trail back to the parking lot: mostly dry.

Bugs: Flies of all sizes hounding me if I dared to stop, however not noticed while on the move. On top of Gothics were loads of these minuscule black things that were annoying. We didn't use bug spray so I have no idea if that would have helped against these no-see-em type of insects.

Notes: Used the shuttle from Marcy Field for the first time, worked very well. The trail up Gothics is STEEP. Normally I don't stop on uphill stretches (unless to admire a view), but this one had me catching my breath several times. Took us 8 hours from the Garden parking lot and back.

K