GPS software

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SherpaTom

Reaction score
I just purchased a Garmin Legend. (my first GPS). I am looking for software either made by Garmin or others that would give me trail information for the Northeast. Is the software just topograpghy or is there actual trail routes?

The only way to upload maps into this unit is with the Garmin Mapsource software. I have Topo US. These maps are based on the USGS 100,000:1 data. They show trails but are not up-to-date. Look at the 100,000:1 maps on www.topozone.com. The same data is used for those maps.

To get accurate trail data I scanned NY-NJ trail conference maps. I got a trial version of Expertgps, calibrated the maps and plotted out the trials I wanted as routes. I saved these routes and manage them using easygps. This software is available to download at www.topografix.com. Some day I will purchase the full version of expertGPS or some other software.

Maybe someone else will reply with information on some other electronic data that is more accurate. What areas are you looking for trail information?

Last edited:
GPS Software

Anyone know where you can purchase used software (possibly someone that no longer uses their GPS).:confused:

Garmin 24K National Parks East

I bought the Garmin 24k TOPO National Parks East last week. I have the DeLorme 3-D TopoQuads too. I bought the Garmin software because I can upload the maps into the GPS, and I hike mostly in the WMNF. This version is similar to USGS Topo’s. I use these in addition to the AMC maps hiking and planning hikes. The Garmin software covers the entire AT, the AKK’s, Vermont’s GMNF and other areas I most likely won’t venture to Coverage Area The maps don’t show some of the newer trails and does show older abandoned trails i.e. Osseo Trial. I find the level of detail quite impressive although some man made features such as power lines are not shown. I think most of the mapping programs I’ve seen are created using one source. The maps show attractions and features in the wrong locations. This happens with DeLorme, National Geographic, and Garmin. For instance Garmin shows “White Mountain Motor Sports Park” in my back yard. It’s down the road a bit. I can hear it on Saturday evenings but it’s not in my yard. National Geographic tells me my house is in the next town when I type in the Address in the search function. So I won’t use these as the final solution to anything for hiking. The AMC Guide and maps are still the best source for planning and attacking.

These guys seemed to have the best price.
Marine Electronics Unlimited
I ordered by phone and was delivered in 2 days by UPS, it shipped standard 3 day ground.

I haven’t used the GPS for hiking yet mostly for driving directions and other fun stuff. The computer keeps track of your maximum speed, fun while alpine skiing (55mph so far.)

The Garmin software is better for creating waypoints and hiking trip routes. The DeLorme does this too, but I find that when I upload the trips and waypoints to the GPS from DeLorme the waypoint names are truncated and hard to decipher.

What can I say I love maps. It’s what I do at work. I haven’t had the opportunity to use Maptech products, I’ve only seen demo’s.

Jim

Jim,

Thats exactly the one I have been researching for the same reasons - hiking. A friend of mine gave me a copy of the metroguide east/west and I have played around with it while driving, running etc. I find it very easy to work with so I was hoping to find some cheap topo software. You were right about

http://www.marine-electronics-unlimited.com/

They were the cheapest I have found so far. I hoping to find someone who wants to sell their copy. Thanks for the site.

Tom

Does EasyGPS work with a basic (yellow) Garmin Etrex? The software is free, but to use it I need a GPS to serial cable plus a UBS to serial adapter (my computer has no serial port), so I would like to know before buying the cables!

Does anyone recommend any other waypoint and route managing software (free or very cheap) for a basic GPS?

Thanks.

When I have a Magellen Map410, I used a shareware program called Oziexplorer. If I remember right, it's simply a mapping program, you supply the maps, the software allows for route planning, waypoint marking and of course, communication between software and GPS.

www.oziexplorer.com

Jay

Mohamed Ellozy said:
Does EasyGPS work with a basic (yellow) Garmin Etrex? The software is free, but to use it I need a GPS to serial cable plus a UBS to serial adapter (my computer has no serial port), so I would like to know before buying the cables!

Does anyone recommend any other waypoint and route managing software (free or very cheap) for a basic GPS?

Thanks.

Yes -- I have the basic Etrex and tried EasyGPS this week. I have been using Expert GPS with the same unit for a few days now while I'm evaluating it as a possible purchase.

Also, check out eBay before buying the cable. I got a combination data/power cable that plugs into a cigarette lighter receptacle for $12, versus $38 for a data only cable from Garmin.

Last edited:
I have used GPS TrackMaker with my Garmin Summit. You need to scan in your own maps, but the ones I use are more accurate than the maps shipped with most other applications.

For power/data cables, check out here. I have never ordered anything from them, but the prices are good.

Mark,

Great prices! Their own cables, not Garmin resellers. The complete USB combo costs less than the Garmin USB to serial converter!!

Anyone have any experience with these folks?

Basic Etrex

Mohamed,

Sorry to burst your bubble regarding the Extrex. I don't think the basic version is capable of using the cable. I don't own that version, I have the Legend. But I just did a little research over at Garmin and it doesn't look like you can upload anything to it. Check the unit to see if there's a port. mine just has 4 points covered with a small rubber cover. Don't spend the money on the cable until you're absolulty sure. I know you know, but one never know's, if you know what I mean.

Jim

Re: Basic Etrex

JOD said:
Mohamed,

Sorry to burst your bubble regarding the Extrex. I don't think the basic version is capable of using the cable. I don't own that version, I have the Legend. But I just did a little research over at Garmin and it doesn't look like you can upload anything to it. Check the unit to see if there's a port. mine just has 4 points covered with a small rubber cover. Don't spend the money on the cable until you're absolulty sure. I know you know, but one never know's, if you know what I mean.

Jim

I can say with absolute certainty the basic yellow Etrex has the data port and can use the cable. I own it and used both EasyGPS and ExpertGPS with it to retrieve all my waypoints from my destroyed Etrex (mountain bike crash), upload them to my present one, plot courses to geocaches, and download tracks from several mountain bike rides -- all this week.

Mark

Re: Basic Etrex

JOD said:
I don't think the basic version is capable of using the cable. I don't own that version, I have the Legend. But I just did a little research over at Garmin and it doesn't look like you can upload anything to it.
Jim does have a point, the Garmin site is very murky about that. For each item of software it has a table of compatibile models, and the basic Etrex is on none of them. Hence my question.

The Etrex manual does imply very clearly that it can be connected to a computer, in fact it has instructions for doing so.

Thanks to Mark for giving the absolutely clear answer that I wanted: Yes, he has used it himself and it works!

Re: Re: Basic Etrex

Mohamed Ellozy said:
Jim does have a point, the Garmin site is very murky about that. For each item of software it has a table of compatibile models, and the basic Etrex is on none of them. Hence my question.

The Etrex manual does imply very clearly that it can be connected to a computer, in fact it has instructions for doing so.

Thanks to Mark for giving the absolutely clear answer that I wanted: Yes, he has used it himself and it works!

You're right, Garmin's website is a bit terse on this point. They're showing non-compatibility with Mapsource software, I believe, which I think actually uploads snippets of topos and road maps to mapping units. The basic Etrex doesn't have onscreen maps, but a 3rd party program like ExpertGPS allows you to work with maps and upload the resulting waypoints to the Etrex.

Sherpa Tom

I'm not sure if the Legend will upload maps or tracks for that matter. But if it transfers data you will need a good transfering program. Garmins mapourse which comes with any of their programs, i.e. Topo, CitySelct,etc. is the best all around for saving and installing tracks etc. but is no means the answer to all.

I find the NGeographic's Topo is the most accurate for making take along maps with a route you made on it althought the some of the trails have changed a little below summits and ridgelines only. Garmins maps are not as detailed as the NG. or as accurate. With NG you can see how accurate they are after loading a track from a hike into it. I've been using it for years. I make my routes with NG and print the map with it showing. I upload the track back into NG and Mapsource after the hikes. I record the whole hike.

I have both and find between the two I am covered. I have other programs also like Topo 5.0 with ADP's of the whites,Gpstrackmaker, EasyGps,Maptech,and someothers.

But now only use the two above mostly.

This link will go to gps geo cachers who are masters at all of the Gps units. You will find anything about your unit there.

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=11

Good Luck

my bad

Gee, go away for a few days and…touchy, touchy, touchy. Well, I have the Etrex Legend it has 8Mgs extra RAM. It uploads MAPS, tracks, routes and waypoints from Garmin software. I did my research on the Garmin website. Mohamed thanks for covering my back while I was out. Maybe the only difference is the Etrex doesn’t allow uploading maps.

I used the maps I uploaded this weekend. They seem to be very accurate. We hiked Mt. Tecumseh from Tripoli Rd to the ski area parking lot. As I stated before I have the Garmin Mapsource 24K National Parks East version. I haven’t had a chance to compare the track to either the Garmin or Delorme 3d Topo software. I found the maps that were loaded into the unit useful to show novices where we were and to show naysayers that they weren’t at the peak yet. The group started out ½ hour before the 3 of us that dropped of the cars at Waterville, they stopped for lunch at the northwestern overlook before the true summit. I’ll post a trip report sometime soon.

Jim