GPS suddenly goes kaput.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
My RINO 110 gps which is in mint condition suddenly ceased functioning properly while I was showing my wife how it worked. Figures.

If you changed the zoom the screen went blank until you re-booted it and if you did a Goto, nothing happened.

I happen to live close to the Garmin service centre for all of Canada so I took it in. The girl behind the counter asked me what was wrong and then offered to give me a new one for $115.

One brain dead GPS and end of story as far as she was concerned.

Always carry a map and compass and be ready to use 'em!

Neil said:
Always carry a map and compass and be ready to use 'em!
Halleluja!!!!

I have a Garmin eTrex. I used it for a while, but just to make track logs of the hikes I did. Got to the point where I was only using it for the altimeter function, then finally said "to hell with this". I bought a mechanical Altimeter so I don't have to keep recharging the stupid batteries on my GPS. Much happier with a paper map anyways. I am sure I will use the GPS again from time to time on more difficult bushwacks, and only as a "just in case". Gimme a map, compass and mechanical altimeter and I am a happy man :D .

Brian

P.S. Native Americans had neither map, compass, altimeter or GPS and got around just fine. I figure I should be able to do just as well with any combination of two of the above. If not....I suck! :eek: ;)

Rick said:
My GPS Map76CSX went Kaput after a year. It was a broken battery connection. I took it back to Bean and they replaced it on the spot. Even let me keep the (old) extra cable.
Some of Garmin's more recent battery connectors leave something to be desired. The batteries can disconnect under high vibration (such as carrying it on a bike) and the metal tabs can fatigue.

A bit of tape around the battery (batteries can be slightly different sizes) to make it fit snugly can help.

No idea about Neil's problem.
But don't forget, maps and compasses can fail too.

Doug

Last edited:
NewHampshire said:
P.S. Native Americans had neither map, compass, altimeter or GPS and got around just fine.
Native Americans didn't have to get back to the car and drive home to wife, family and job. :D

Peakbagr said:
You have a job? Gotta be kidding us. :eek:
Some of us are exercising the option of taking their retirement in installments while still young enough to put 2 coherent sentences together. :D

Wanna buy a used GPS cheap?

Neil said:
Some of us are exercising the option of taking their retirement in installments while still young enough to put 2 coherent sentences together. :D

Wanna buy a used GPS cheap?

Wha huh the you talk with about eh!? I know if not you are what saying!

OUCH, this stupid GPS just hit me in the head....and it doesn't even work!!!! :mad: :D ;)

Brian