grand canyon hike?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Technetium

Reaction score
Some time next summer, I would like to go on a week-long backpacking trip in the grand canyon. I was wondering if anyone from here has done something like that, and if anyone knows where a good place would be to locate hiking partners. I'm pretty sure it would be unwise to go by myself.

For further specifics, in case anyone here is interested, I'd like a trip that involves hiking both up on the rim, and down below. I am planning to do a lot of photography, so it would be a slow hike. It could theoretically be bumped to 2 weeks if one week isn't enough.

Let me know if anyone has useful information. Thanks.

Hi
I love the Grand Canyon.
Please keep in mind that summer is the most dangerous time to be below the rim in the Grand canyon. Temps usually over 100, and water sources (seeps, springs) are usually dry. If you could swing a spring or fall time that would be optimal. Check with the Backcountry office in the park for the most recent up to date info.
On the other hand, the rim is sublime in the summer, and the North rim offers more photographic hikes. It is higher in altitude than the south, and less crowded.
Enjoy and be safe. (It is very tough hiking, but well worth it!!)
Sandy

Hi
I love the Grand Canyon.
Please keep in mind that summer is the most dangerous time to be below the rim in the Grand canyon. Temps usually over 100, and water sources (seeps, springs) are usually dry. If you could swing a spring or fall time that would be optimal. Check with the Backcountry office in the park for the most recent up to date info.
On the other hand, the rim is sublime in the summer, and the North rim offers more photographic hikes. It is higher in altitude than the south, and less crowded.
Enjoy and be safe. (It is very tough hiking, but well worth it!!)
Sandy

Good advice above. We did a 5-day backpack (Hermit Trail) in mid-May a couple of years ago and it was 104 degrees down below.

Good information here.
More info here.

FWIW, learn of our many mistakes in our TR:

My wife's pictures

Okay, I think maybe I should consider doing a hike along the rim (or perhaps the northern side of it since it seems pretty lengthy), and maybe save hiking below for early spring or late fall. I can't do that anytime soon because I am in school right now, so I'm fairly limited to summer. Thanks for the information about the severe heat at the bottom.

Any threats from rattlesnakes, spiders, or scorpions I should be worried about?

I'll take a more in-depth look at some of those sites. Maybe there's a way to link up with other interested parties. I'm not looking for a guided tour, that's for sure. I can't afford that.

Any threats from rattlesnakes, spiders, or scorpions I should be worried about?
Yes. Plus heat problems, lack of water, flash floods, and rodents that will attack your food.

Before you try overnights, it might be worth a day hike or two to learn about the area. South Kaibab and Bright Angel trails are good places to start.

Also don't forget the canyon is 4000-5000 ft deep and when you turn around, you have to go uphill.

Doug

Yes. Plus heat problems, lack of water, flash floods, and rodents that will attack your food.

Before you try overnights, it might be worth a day hike or two to learn about the area. South Kaibab and Bright Angel trails are good places to start.

Also don't forget the canyon is 4000-5000 ft deep and when you turn around, you have to go uphill.

Doug

Unfortunately I live in Massachusetts. :) I'm not going to buy two plane tickets for a day hike (or even two). It's entirely possible that I will only visit the Grand Canyon once or twice in my lifetime (there are so many other places to go in the world and even within the US and work gives me limited vacation time), so I'd really want to make a visit there count as much as possible.

Also, as I said, I am planning to hike either the rim or the valley below, so I'll be avoiding that 4000-5000ft elevation difference.

Thank you for the advice, everyone.

You are right. There are tons of wonderful places to go. The Grand Canyon is absolutely one of them. The perspectives from the rim and then below are very different...and beautiful. If you want to fully experience the Grand Canyon, you would certainly want to go below the rim. There are some nice turn-around points off the Bright Angel, that you do not have to go all the way to the river. You can do dayhikes to these, and the Indian Gardens CG has potable water-and shade trees. Will be very hot though.
The South Kaibab is awesome, but steep and dry. No good turn around where you can get water either, but worth a 1 hour or so down (may be 2hr hike back up). Just keep in mind the heat and your water.The canyon is unforgiving.
The rim hiking is really limited to the rim trail, which is partially paved, with breathtaking vistas at every turn. You will have no swhortage of beautiful photographs. Hold on to your stuff. The Kaibab squirrel is a sneaky crook, and will make off with your snacks!!!
If you feel you must go all the way to the river, how about doing a 3-4 day rafting trip?
Sandy

I did a 5 day hike in the Grand Canyon in the beginning of May several years ago. When we left the South Rim to descend into the canyon, it was 45 degrees (6 am). By the time we got to the Colorado River around noon, the temp was 100!

The best times to take photos of the Canyon are early morning or in the evening. The low sun casts wonderful shadows and the colors are brilliant. During the mid-day with the sun high in the sky, the colors of the canyon look washed out.

The only snake I saw while on my 5-day backpack was a common garter snake (go figure) :p! We saw a few spiders and one scorpion.

Oh - and the night sky is incredible!!!!!

Enjoy - I can't wait to go back!

Little Bear

I think with proper planning, a nice trip will be easily attainable. I went to the Grand Canyon a couple of times when I was young and hiked down to the Colorado via the Bright Angel Trail in the middle of the summer when I was in middle school. It was scorching hot, but doable. There are water stations along the Bright Angel and I think South Kaibab, so you might want to look into that. You can also make it a multi-day trip by going down the Bright Angel and camping at Indian Gardens and taking side trips from there. Def stop by Plateau Point for a nice picture during morning or evening.

I would also suggest taking an extra 1-2 hour drive to Havasupai and hike down to Havasu Falls. It is one of the most beautiful hikes there, but unfortunately, very popular as well. The one place I haven't been is the northern rim and it's on my to-do list. It's also at a higher elevation than the southern rim so it should be cooler during the summer.

I was able to visit the Grand Canyon last April towards the end of the month. We took the Hermit trail down, camped at Monument Creek and then hiked the Tonto Trail to Indian Gardens where we stayed a night, and then up the Bright Angel. I was with a first time backpacker, so couldn't make it too hard or long of a trip, but that was a nice hike. Unfortunately, it might be too hard to do in the middle of the summer. From Monument Creek to Indian Gardens, there isn't any additional water sources as it's all radioactive and probably dry during the summer. When we went, it was close to freezing with patches of ice still left at the rim in the morning/night, and 80 at the bottom. It was funny though when we were hiking out via the Bright Angel, cause we were hot and in shorts (cause we've been at the bottom of the canyon for a 2 days), and we kept seeing all these people/tourists in heavy jeans and bundled up taking a day-hike down.

BTW, rhihn, that was quite a trip report. I'm glad everything turned out ok; I'm also glad that my wife, and the first-time backpacker that came with us didn't read that trip report either. . . they might have gotten too scared and prohibited that hike. Luckily the timing and the climate worked out well for us.

Anyway, the Grand Canyon is a must see, and there are tons of hikes to do. you'll def have fun with the appropriate preparation and research. Hope you have a good trip.

Aviarome

Nice ideas.
Havasupai Falls and the surrounding area are currently closed due to the floods this past August. I think the famous travertine falls were heavily damaged. Not sure what it will be like this summer. I hope things work out as tourism was the major source of income for the Havasupai Nation.
Sandy

I think with proper planning, a nice trip will be easily attainable. I went to the Grand Canyon a couple of times when I was young and hiked down to the Colorado via the Bright Angel Trail in the middle of the summer when I was in middle school. It was scorching hot, but doable. There are water stations along the Bright Angel and I think South Kaibab, so you might want to look into that. You can also make it a multi-day trip by going down the Bright Angel and camping at Indian Gardens and taking side trips from there. Def stop by Plateau Point for a nice picture during morning or evening.
There is no water on South Kaibab Tr. Bright Angel Tr has water at Indian Gardens (~3Kft below the S. rim) and may have water at 2? spots above. (The above spots may or may not be turned on.) Expect to carry far more water than you do in the NE.

Both the South and North Rims are worth visiting and there is some fairly flat hiking available on both rims.

Bright Angel Tr down to Indian Gardens and out to Inspiration Point is a good dayhike (~3Kft vert). You can also go down to the river and back if you are in decent shape. Down S. Kaibab to the river and up by Bright Angel Tr is a nice long day loop if you are really in good shape.

Anyway, the Grand Canyon is a must see, and there are tons of hikes to do. you'll def have fun with the appropriate preparation and research.
Agreed.

Zion, Bryce, Natural Bridges, Monument Valley, Canyonlands, and a number of smaller places are all close by if you want other things to do.

Doug

BTW, rhihn, that was quite a trip report. I'm glad everything turned out ok; I'm also glad that my wife, and the first-time backpacker that came with us didn't read that trip report either. . . they might have gotten too scared and prohibited that hike. Luckily the timing and the climate worked out well for us.Aviarome
We didn't mean to scare people. It was actually a wonderful, successful trip, but with lessons learned. We only wanted to tell our story, and highlight some of the mistakes we (as a group) made:
hike EARLY and LATE in the day
stay TOGETHER
START HYDRATED and STAY HYDRATED (plan H2O AHEAD); fill up EVERY chance you get
COTTON SAVES
Don't underestimate DOWNHILL (if you're still in the sun).

Dick

I've been researching a GC hike, and determined that April or May would be best. I tentatively plan to hike there the weekend before Memorial Day '09

Unfortunately I live in Massachusetts. I'm not going to buy two plane tickets for a day hike (or even two). It's entirely possible that I will only visit the Grand Canyon once or twice in my lifetime (there are so many other places to go in the world and even within the US and work gives me limited vacation time), so I'd really want to make a visit there count as much as possible.

If you stick to the Bright Angel trail, I wouldn't worry too much about going alone as that is a well traveled trail. We went down the South Kaibib trail, camped several nights at the bottom (with a dayhike to Ribbon Falls), and back up the Bright Angel with a third night at Indian Gardens (really loved sunset from Plateau Point). We took it easy as we were more beginner backpackers at the time, but still enjoyed ourselves. We did the trip in November around Thanksgiving time.

In general I found the nps site useful in planning a trip. If I recall correctly this website had some good info on trail descriptions: http://www.bobspixels.com/kaibab.org/

A general southwest site I like for planning (especially the driving distance graph): http://www.americansouthwest.net/index.shtml

I'm a backpacker and we usually backpack on most of our vacations (well, we did pre-baby anyway :p), but I do think day hiking (or at least short one-two night backpacks) are a great way to see the Southwest, so don't rule out day hiking. Keep in mind you will need to carry a lot of water, which can really add up on an extended backpack.

If you feel that you won't get back to the Southwest in a long time, consider seeing more parks (especially since you are interested in photography -- so many great subjects and landscapes). While I think the Grand Canyon is impressive and a wonderful place to visit, there are other parks I like better (especially Zion and Escalante). Even with just a week you could easily see the North Rim, Bryce, and Zion. The bonus of the North Rim and Bryce in the summer is that they are cooler. In Zion you could do the famous Narrows (backpack or dayhike) -- since you would be hiking in a river it would be a nice hike for summer time (provided no thunderstorms!).

You mention at this time you have to go during summer as you are in school. Are you dead set on the Southwest? I love the Southwest and it's one of my favorite places, but for me personally, it wouldn't be very enjoyable in the summer time (I don't do heat very well). You mention there are so many places you'd like to see -- is it possible to go some place else fabulous (like the Canadian Rockies, Sierra Nevada, Tetons ... endless possibilities) and save the Southwest until you are out of school and can go in the spring or fall? I don't mean to be a joykill or discourage you at all, just throwing in my two cents based on my experience.

I don't have any of our Grand Canyon backpacking pictures posted, but there are a few from an unplanned stop there on our last Southwest trip. There are pictures from other parks in these galleries in case you're interested:

http://www.pbase.com/pudgy_groundhog/southwest06

For a pretty extreme example, take a look at this rim-to-rim-to-rim trip report. Gives you some idea of what the conditions are like in there.

As others have said...if you think the GC is a once-in-a-lifetime trip, hold it until you have the flexibility to do it "right." Knock off some other once-in-a-lifetime trips in the meantime.

I'm thinking that maybe you guys are right... I could do the Grand Canyon another time when it won't be as oppressively hot, maybe when I am done with school. I'll try to think of an alternative for this summer.

I'm thinking that maybe you guys are right... I could do the Grand Canyon another time when it won't be as oppressively hot, maybe when I am done with school. I'll try to think of an alternative for this summer.
Its a little like winter in the NE--a harsh but beautiful environment. Once you learn the skills to deal with it, you can be reasonably safe, but until then it isn't hard to get into deep trouble.

A dayhike or two into the canyon can be very rewarding and not overly committing. (Plateau point via Bright Angel is a good full day hike.) One can also just go a short distance down any of a number of trails.

My first time in the canyon was with my family back when I was in 9th grade, IIRC. In August, I think. We hiked down S Kaibab Tr to Phantom Ranch (at the bottom). It was 113F at ~6pm when we reached the ranch... The hike out the next day took my parents 12 hrs, the kids were a bit faster. We also met some European students down at the river, drinking river water (ie liquid grit). They hadn't believed the signs at the trailhead warning them to take lots of water...

Doug