Great Range Traverse

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_swede

Reaction score
Hi,

A friend of mine and I are planning on doing a Great Range traverse sometime this summer. So my question is, what's a common itinerary for this backpack?

I have here my idea:

Day 1: Drive up to the 'dacks (6 hours) and park at the Rooster Comb trailhead. Climb Rooster Comb and Hedgehog.

Day 2: Climb UWJ, LWJ, Armstrong, Gothics, Saddleback and Basin. Camp out in col between Basin and Haystack.

Day 3: Make our way out along John's Brook. If we're not totally beat, we may do Haystack and Marcy.

Is this a solid idea? I read a TR on the web somewhere saying that there are spots to camp out by Hedgehog. Is this true?

Its easier going from Basin to Saddleback vs the direction you've proposed with full packs (or even day packs). You might consider bringing a section of rope to lower your packs down the cliffs if you still decide to go North to South.

Other than that, sounds like a fun plan! You should be able to get Marcy and Haystack in by day three, no? Your packs will be lighter then. :)

I'm planning on doing the GRT with some friends this summer, too.

Here's a thread with some general info, from a couple years ago.

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13598

There are several others.

I've always done the range as a day hike, so I never closely investigated the camping options. In general in the Adks, you can camp antwhewre that's at least 150' from a road, trail, or body of water; is below 4000' elevation; and is not marked "No Camping." That seems pretty easy, but along the range, much of the terrain around the trail is over 4000', and very steep with tight spruce.

Camping suggestions, just based on my looking around as I run past:

I never noticed any really great spots on Hedgehog, although others might have found some. You can probably squirrel yourself into the woods somewhere. If you don't mind going a few miles further, Wolfjaw Notch leanto is a moderate walk down the Wolfjaw Notch trail after covering LWJ. Caveat: LWJ is steep and tough.

I think there are a few spots in the Armstrong / Gothics col, although I believe they are illegal, being over 4000'.

A spot I have always wanted to camp, but have not, and is also illegal, is in the deep talus caves near the top of the Gothics cable trail. It would be neat to be in there.

I recommend against camping in the Saddleback / Basin col. That area is a pristine fairyland of alpine meadows and flowers, and I do not think it would do well with camping impact. It's one of the cols that does not have a side trail, so it's less traveled. The Basin Haystyack col, as you suggested, is a better spot. The old snowbird leanto site is illegal, but flat and already heavily impacted.

If you want to camp on the way out, it gets easier as you go out the John's Brook valley. It's a pretty short walk down to the Timbuktu (formerly Slant Rock) leanto, and there are additional leantos, as well as open woods for easy camping, as you head out the valley.

Have fun! The range is spectacular!

TCD

Keep in mind that in that area there is no camping above 3500' except at designated campsites. I once camped off trail near Hedgehog. It wasn't much of a spot, more of a clearing in the blowdowns just large enough to fit a small tent. The only designated campsite on the range is between Basin and Haystack at the former Snobird leanto site. At 3900 feet and some change, it's the highest campsite in New York State. Other than that most of the range is above 3500 and you'd have to take one of the access trails to drop down low enough to camp.

I've backpacked the majority of the Great Range but not from Roostercomb, we started from AMR and went up the Wedge Brook trail to the UWJ/LWJ col. The col itself is just at 3500' and we found a pretty horrible place to camp off the trail so wouldn't recommend it. Then we hiked (in full backpacks, enough for 3 nights!) west to Basin then down the Shorrey Short Cut and stayed at night 2 at the new Slant Rock Leanto. Then the next day, we slackpacked, Marcy, Skylight, Haystack, and picked up our stuff at Slant Rock and camped at Bushnell Falls. Next day, we hike out to the garden, walk down to 73, and hike up Roostercomb to get back to AMR to complete the loop.

If I knew about the old Ski run campsites, we would of done that, but this was like my second time ever in the ADKs and didn't know better. Ran into Pin Pin that day too (but didn't know it til years later).

Jay

lumberzac said:
...The only designated campsite on the range is between Basin and Haystack at the former Snobird leanto site. At 3900 feet and some change, it's the highest campsite in New York State. Other than that most of the range is above 3500 and you'd have to take one of the access trails to drop down low enough to camp.
Just wanted to reinforce this point, and say that the former snobird leanto site is a great campsite, though I'm beyond the point of wanting to haul a pack to it.

I believe there may be campsites partially up the south side of the Wedge Brook trail that goes to the UWL/LWJ col but in my friend and I's unbridled youth :)D), we decided to go up further to the col to scout around for a campsite. Neither of us have been there before. We spent quite some time looking for a suitable site in the dense pine and then gave up and really camped in a pretty horrible spot 100ft off the trail, closer towards UWJ. We carried all the water we needed for 2 days.

Jay