Hantavirus at Uphill leanto

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read the linked thread from adkhighpeaks forum and thankfully he is recovering. However, without an infected mouse or droppings from Uphill leanto, and the up to five weeks of incubation before symptoms are felt, his claim of receiving the virus from the leanto is highly questionable in my mind. Much more evidence of his other exposures over the previous weeks is needed. More statistics and science is needed before a claim like the recent episode in Yosemite can be made with certainty.

Someone staying in one of Dartmouth's cabins by Moosilauke was supposed to have contracted hanta virus in 2005, but according to the Dartmouth Outing Club it was a mistaken diagnosis. ("Though the diagnosis later proved incorrect, the scare caused some concern about the number of mice in our cabins."—http://www.dartmouth.edu/~doc/annualreports/2005/)

We camped out and stayed in cabins this summer in the Adirondacks, New Hampshire, and Maine, and I've never seen so many mice, chipmunks, and other vermin. May have been a result of the drought and lack of food, but it felt like we were being overrun at times. It must have been worse in lean-tos.

I read the linked thread from adkhighpeaks forum and thankfully he is recovering. However, without an infected mouse or droppings from Uphill leanto, and the up to five weeks of incubation before symptoms are felt, his claim of receiving the virus from the leanto is highly questionable in my mind. Much more evidence of his other exposures over the previous weeks is needed. More statistics and science is needed before a claim like the recent episode in Yosemite can be made with certainty.

Go to the thread and read the update. It was hantavirus. He is one lucky person.

There is no way to know, of course, but he said 1) it was the only place he camped, 2) he was bit on the finger, presumably by a mouse in the night, 3) the incubation time was consistent with hantavirus, and 4) hantavirus was confirmed later by testing. He was treated at a major academic medical center (SUNY-Stony Brook). So the evidence is pretty strong.