Happy 50th Anniversery Kancamagus Highway!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really enjoyed some of my conversations with the old timers at the 4000 footer awards meeting. Some of them recounted bagging peaks before the Kanc highway was completed. Imagine hiking Hancock in winter without the exisitence of the Kanc. What we consider an easy peak was akin to Owlshead in winter back then. It's amazing how things changed with this highway. One can only consider the vast wilderness tract that would exist if it had not been built.

I really enjoyed some of my conversations with the old timers at the 4000 footer awards meeting. Some of them recounted bagging peaks before the Kanc highway was completed. Imagine hiking Hancock in winter without the exisitence of the Kanc. What we consider an easy peak was akin to Owlshead in winter back then. It's amazing how things changed with this highway. One can only consider the vast wilderness tract that would exist if it had not been built.

One of my friends completed the wNH4s list back in the 80s "by fair means" (i.e., pretending that the Kanc was not there). So, yes, he did the same as the Underhill's and others by skiing into the Hancocks from the Lincoln Woods trailhead for an over-nighter. But, I believe that he also included Bondcliff and Galehead, to satisfy the modern list requirements. :)

And, of course, the great irony, on the 50th anniversay of the Kanc, the USFS will prevent a 50th anniversary for the THE Pemi suspension bridge this fall. :mad:

Good observation Dr D!

Humm .... Interesting observation Dr D about the pemi suspension bridge. Fact that they were built contemperaneously (sp?) indicates they were likely part of some grand plan in mind of the FS and various state, civic leaders at the time. They must have been planned at the same time too.

BTW I just checked FS project site on the Pemi Suspension Bridge and see nothing been posted since the extension letter was posted. I wonder what they are thinking??? :confused::rolleyes:

Here is an article from the Laconia Citizen. Did anyone attend the Kanc festivities on Friday, August 14th? No mention of plans to run a northerly road through the Pemi in the article (pre-wilderness designation), but I remember hearing this plan bantered about (road would have followed the East Side, Wilderness, Shoal Pond, Ethan Pond, and Zealand Trails).

Latest posts