Have you been graupeled yet this year?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The answer to your question is YES. In the very windy stretch that I walk each morning It was very much like concrete perlite striking me in the face!!
I 'bookmarked' that very interesting snow website........
...Jade

PS My favorite scene in the Wizard of Oz was the ablation of the wicked witch!

I had graupel once, but my doctor gave me a shot and told me to "stay out of those places" where it runs rampant :eek: .

Seriously, great link. Lots of good info. Not sure what I'm gonna do with it, but, good stuff nonetheless :)

p.s. No graupel yet in western NY :(

Last edited:
Yes, graupel! I went to an avalanche class many years ago. The instructor, who was from Colorado, expressed surprise at how much graupel we get here. Apparently it's quite rare in their drier conditions.

Translation!!

Not experienced graupel yet this year....Anyone know the Inuktitut translation? There must be one? :confused:

I'm looking forward to some good illuviratsaq. ;)

excellent! I'm buying some copies of that "Snow Booklet" for holiday gifts.
(one of my friends just moved from MA down to VA, I know he misses the stuff)

I vividly remember learning the word "firn" in 7th grade science class (although I thought it was large rounded ice crystals that formed when snowfall melted/refroze repeatedly, like on my driveway last year; I didn't realize it officially had to survive the summer to qualify) because the ice in our cafeteria drinks had the same consistency :D