Heads up Hurricane Remnants in the whites Wednesday afternoon into evening

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

In Rembrance , July 2024
Reaction score
Over the years these hurricane "remnants" that make it up west of NH tend to on occasion gets stalled and put out very large amounts of rain leading to lots of damage. VT normally gets the worst of it but the whites sometime does. It will usually clear out in 12 hours but anyone out there will wish they weren't.

Any of the drainages can get real wild and dangerous.

Last edited:
1 to 4" of rain predicted in 4 to 5 hours in the whites this afternoon. The Beryl track is well north of NH but this type of weather pattern can still hammer the whites with water. Probably not the time to go visits the backroads of Pittsburg.

Finally perk up those river gauges a bit. DRY out there right now....

Looking like its staying north of the whites (so far) but the areas just north are getting hammered.

Looking at the news and river gages, the heavy rain stayed just north and west of the whites. The commercial strip in Littleton was under water and the same with Saint Johnsbury.

Finally perk up those river gauges a bit. DRY out there right now....
Very temporary IMO. Coming down to hard and fast to have any major lasting effect. Thence the major flooding.

Very temporary IMO. Coming down to hard and fast to have any major lasting effect. Thence the major flooding.
Yep. I actually had a Facebook memory pop up today of my last trip into the Wild River Wilderness. I went in the day after some heavy rains that year. USGS gage was 2000cfs at the time I left trail head and dropped to about 600-800cfs during the course of the day. Was cool to see my videos of the crossing at Spider Brook, Shelburne, etc on that day versus my trip last weekend. Lot of knee to thigh high stuff with good currents. USGS gage last weekend was 39cfs. Easy rock hops everywhere....

Yep. I actually had a Facebook memory pop up today of my last trip into the Wild River Wilderness. I went in the day after some heavy rains that year. USGS gage was 2000cfs at the time I left trail head and dropped to about 600-800cfs during the course of the day. Was cool to see my videos of the crossing at Spider Brook, Shelburne, etc on that day versus my trip last weekend. Lot of knee to thigh high stuff with good currents. USGS gage last weekend was 39cfs. Easy rock hops everywhere....
The gauge is definitely a perspective until you have multiple microbursts.