Heat waves are not our friend.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sierra

Reaction score
This summer has been brutal. Me and my dog haven't hiked in 2 weeks ( I did do Kearsarge south without him). Looks like the sun will give us a break starting tomorrow and we can't wait to get back out there. I used to love summer, now I long for shoulder season and my K10's, lol.

Attachments

• 20240528_124112.jpg
    20240528_124112.jpg
    235.6 KB
My daughter and I stayed at Kinsman Pond on Monday. Man, the temps and humidity was brutal by the time we came out of the woods on Tuesday. Took the Basin Cascade Trail down and you best believe I went in shoes and all near the bottom.

This summer has been brutal. Me and my dog haven't hiked in 2 weeks ( I did do Kearsarge south without him). Looks like the sun will give us a break starting tomorrow and we can't wait to get back out there. I used to love summer, now I long for shoulder season and my K10's, lol.
I hear that. I've had a bunch of free time in my schedule lately for hiking and I just haven't had the motivation to go. I think I've packed and unpacked 3 times the past 2 weeks. Between the stifling heat and all the thunderstorms every afternoon and evening up there its hard to get in the car and drive 4 hours. Hoping for some relief soon before July is over and my schedule picks up again.

Damn, I was hoping to cool off when I got up north. It's been hot as hell here for nearly a month straight with little or no rain. In the mid 90s almost every day. If I do not walk right after breakfast, then I can forget about it until 7:30 pm at the earliest. We went to hear some free outdoor music last weekend and it was still 90 degrees at 8pm. I regret signing up for the summer tennis league as well because the matches are at 6 pm and that's the hottest time of day. Hydration becomes a challenge. Brutal summer indeed.

I can't remember the last time I hiked more than 2 miles. This year has been lazy water trips, drive be damned. Looks like perfect ledge bivy weather this weekend.

Looks like perfect ledge bivy weather this weekend.
That was my plan this week but the threat of thunderstorms every day spoiled that. I almost went up there WED afternoon but the chance of storms kept going up. Glad I didn't. Would have got pounded. Hope you are right about this weekend. Only got one bivy in so far this year.

for real, too hot for dogs, especially my Aussie (you have one as well, I believe). Longing for winter over here! Hiking some 52WAVs this weekend.

The first part of this week was brutal up here. Tuesday morning my first job was breaking down ten 11R24.5 truck tires by hand since our tire machine motor shit the bed a couple weeks ago, and when I finished around 0715 my clothes were soaked with sweat from my shoulders to my knees. I felt and smelled like someone dipped me into a scummy pond upside down, and hey! Only 9 hours to go! I didn’t get any dryer than that all day. But it did help a bit to say “at least I’m not riding in an armored vehicle that’s 140F inside, wearing chemical suit and body armor, in the Georgia summer sun.”

There are a number of things that I miss about New England...the oppressive heat/humidity is not one of them:)

That was my plan this week but the threat of thunderstorms every day spoiled that. I almost went up there WED afternoon but the chance of storms kept going up. Glad I didn't. Would have got pounded. Hope you are right about this weekend. Only got one bivy in so far this year.

Great success. No headlamp needed.

1000006967.jpg

I wonder quite often what it would mean to hike in a manner that is truly sustainable, if not at least carbon neutral. For that matter, what it would look like to merely live and all that entails.

I’m increasingly convinced that individual choice is something of a myth that obscures how our infrastructures get shaped, and by whom. Our choices, such as they are, are constrained within the infrastructure. I would choose to go to the mountains on an electrical train powered by green energy but…

Sadly, I suspect we will look back at these heat waves as the good old days. Malthus and Thanos have been chatting. Hopefully our species survives and evolves to be more cognizant of collective sustainability. I have my doubts.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...-records-shattered-hottest-day-climate-crisis