help with GPS?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
guys--excellent stuff so far for this old GPS newbie--i'll display my ignorance further with the next batch of questions-you'll probably wonder how i've survived as a solo wacker :)

I'm sure i'll get up to speed quickly once i begin to "do this" (starting to read on-line version of basic some GPS manuals), but i really feel the need to know a bit more before i take the plunge, so..

1) is most mapping software proprietary? do i need MapSource for a Garmin? is it PC only?
2) are there any "free" topo packages(Google?) that you can use or use to at least gather waypoints, etc?
3) can you take waypoints from mapping software and either manually or by computer link enter them into a non-mapping GPS? (Garmin yellow H)
4) can you get waypoints off a normal paper topo? tools you use? coordinate system used? then manually enter the waypoints into a non-mapping GPS?
5) if someone has done a hike, and sent you waypoints or an entire track (not even sure if this is a valid question) would you need to enter this info manually into a basic or mapping unit?
6) does a non-mapping unit need to have way points entered manually or can it be done computer link?
7) if you use "find" or "go-to" on a non-mapping unit, does it give you compass bearing (adjusted?)and distance to waypoint ?
8) are the eTrex series yellow, Venture, Summit, Legend, Vista (let's assume they all have the new GPS chip) basically the "same guts" with differences being color, mapping ability, memory or SD slot, altimeter, elec compass

thanks again
jim

buckyball1 said:
guys--excellent stuff so far for this old GPS newbie--i'll display my ignorance further with the next batch of questions-you'll probably wonder how i've survived as a solo wacker :)
People even have survived wacking without map, compass, or altimeter. Also without shoes or Goretex...

I'm sure i'll get up to speed quickly once i begin to "do this" (starting to read on-line version of basic some GPS manuals), but i really feel the need to know a bit more before i take the plunge, so..
The manuals for Garmin units are downloadable online. http://www.garmin.com. Don't know about other manufacturers.

1) is most mapping software proprietary? do i need MapSource for a Garmin? is it PC only?
Loadable maps are proprietary. MapSource is the Garmin program which loads Garmin maps and views them on the computer. There is 3rd party software with maps (eg National Geographic TOPO! and Mapteq Terrain Navigator), but it can only exchange waypoints, routes, and tracks with the GPS.

2) are there any "free" topo packages(Google?) that you can use or use to at least gather waypoints, etc?
Mapsource without any map data comes with many Garmin GPSes. OziExplorer is also popular (there is a free trial verison). http://www.oziexplorer.com

3) can you take waypoints from mapping software and either manually or by computer link enter them into a non-mapping GPS? (Garmin yellow H)
Yes. Waypoints, routes, and tracks. Mapsource, GPSBabel (free open source, http://www.gpsbabel.org), or a number of other packages can do it.

4) can you get waypoints off a normal paper topo? tools you use? coordinate system used? then manually enter the waypoints into a non-mapping GPS?
Yes, but it is much easier off a digital topo--you just click on the location to set a waypoint.

GPSes can I/O many datums (eg NAD27, WGS84) in a variety of coordinate systems (lat-lon, UTM, etc). Settable modes.

5) if someone has done a hike, and sent you waypoints or an entire track (not even sure if this is a valid question) would you need to enter this info manually into a basic or mapping unit?
It can be done electronically. I personally find it easier to set and find my own waypoints--very easy with MapSource or 3rd party software.

6) does a non-mapping unit need to have way points entered manually or can it be done computer link?
Either mode works for both mapping and non-mapping units.

7) if you use "find" or "go-to" on a non-mapping unit, does it give you compass bearing (adjusted?)and distance to waypoint ?
You set a waypoint at the desired location and execute a "goto" on it. The GPS can give you any of several graphical displays showing direction and distance or display the same info in numbers. (Mapping units can do both simultaneously.)

8) are the eTrex series yellow, Venture, Summit, Legend, Vista (let's assume they all have the new GPS chip) basically the "same guts" with differences being color, mapping ability, memory or SD slot, altimeter, elec compass
Generally yes. BTW, the new "high sensitivity" units use MediaTek chipsets rather than the SiRFstarIII chipsets (used in the 60/76Cx). Initial indications are that capabilities are similar.

Doug

Last edited:
buckyball1 said:
many thanks to all--time for me to start the journey on my own now---jim
Let us know your proposed choice--I'll bet we can overload you with pros and cons of the specific device. :)

Seriously, if you let us know, we might be able to give you some helpful suggestions, perhaps save a few bucks or a similar unit that might be more useful.

I also suspect, that when and if you choose to buy a second/upgrade GPS, it will be much easier to choose...

Doug

Computer mapping can be inexpensive. Check out USA Photomaps which allows you to toggle between aerial pictures and scanned USGS topos maps. I have used it successfully in order to see and mark waypoints and routes to slides in the Adirondacks. The aerial pics are on the grid and you can click waypoints, create routes etc. that upload into your gps. You can make and print jpegs as well. It is shareware. A "high-speed" connection is almost a must with this program because you download the "tiles" onto your hard drive as needed.

I wrote this little tutorial
Also, the demo version of Topofusion is almost 100% functional. It too uses the USGS quads and has all the regular features one would expect.

Paradox said:
How do you get around the "DEMO" overlay that always seems to be in my way?
Mail them a check. :D

I just ignore the Demo overlay tiles because there are so few of them.

Hi all--I wanted to thank everyone for the help you've given me on this issue in the forum and by PM. As a total GPS newbie, I considered Garmin models from the base eTrexH up to the 60/70 mapping series and everything in between

After much thought and trying to decide how I planned to use a GPS, I decided to go with a base model eTrexH and also got Nat'l Geo Topo NE and a serial cable connection for the PC. I am still learning to use the tools, but I could not be happier. (a handheld compass and my old trusty Thomens altimeter still work for me)

The Nat'l Geo software is superb for my needs (maps, UTM waypoints, routes) and the PC data exchange interface (which I just tried tonight) is smooth.

I learned how the eTrexH works by wandering on roads near our house, then into the woods/logging roads behind the house and finally tried it on several trailed hikes (just for practice,no real "need") then 3-4 bushwacks, one of them spontaneous with little prep. Great stuff. While I have nothing to compare it to, the unit holds lock under heavy/thick tree cover (both evergreen and leafy); it did go into "pause"?, but didn't "lose" the satellites when I was in a spot between sharply rising terrain close to both sides of the trail. Everything seems to work as advertised re waypoints, routes, "GoTos", tracebacks, etc. The "distance covered" on the trip odometer is always way low? although the distance measurements on the Gotos, routes, waypoints, etc and the "travel speeds" are right on the button??--probably something I don't understand as yet.

I may feel the need to upgrade to a mapping unit at some point, but right now I am very satisfied with what I purchased.

many thanks for all the help you provided
jim

Last edited:
WOW so much information here. What I noticed was that I really never understood any of this till I got a GPS. Now it all makes sence.

If you can take some of the recomendations and buy a good one the first time out, you'll be surprised at how proficiant you will become in no time at all.

Practice. There are a few tricks you pick up form the more experianced fellows here but it's really a hands on thing.

I don't use my GPS that often so I forget alot of the settings n setups. Can't find certain menues because I am always pressing the wrong button. So now I carry the GPS on my way to work, for a walk at night, a drive to relatives houses... etc just to stay in practice as well as the interface to my computer. I try different things like routes n waypoints as well as use the track back feature that alllows you to follow your footsteps out again. I can tell you the GPS does what your compass map n altimeter never could do, point you exactly right to your goal.

Thanks you guys for all the info here, I've really learned alot.

Last edited: