Hiking Cabot?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beaner

Reaction score
On the weekend of the 11th I hope to hike Cabot in one day. Is that possible? I will check the trail conditions bulliten board for past information. Thanks to Hamtero, Albee, and Tim Seaver for giving me the heads-up regarding the Franconia Brook descent from Garfield ridge and the questionable existence of the Lincoln Brook north of the Slide.

Hiking Cabot in one day is very doable, assuming you take the Mount Cabot Trail on the west side of the mountain. It's about 8 miles round trip, and despite the fact that the trail is supposed to be closed due to complications with the man who owns the land, many people still hike it (I hiked it a month ago with no problems). You could opt to take the loop that starts on York Pond Road (I think that's what it's called). The loop includes hiking The Horn, which is supposed to have incredible views, but I'm not sure how long that loop is and how strenuous of a day hike it would be.

Prozach,you are correct, York Pond Rd goes into the Fish Hatchery,and about a half mile past the main blgs is The Bunnell Notch trail. This will lead you to a junction with the Cabot trail. This would be the preferred way in,and the famous "mud bath" section of the trail has been rerouted.
Beaner,you also have the option of staying in the cabin,near the summit of Cabot. However,it is winter camping-the cabin is unheated.

The Mount cabot "loop" from the york pond side is most likely not reasonably doable as a winter day hike in the winter unless you have great snow conditions and a strong group. The trail has a long sidehill section on the north side of Cabot north of the horn that can be difficult to snowshoe with a crust. Given that blanket statement, groups do make the loop in the winter and have great views from the horn.
Bunnel Notch up trail and down is far more reasonable. The old trail approach from the west side is still officially closed with no plans to reopen it, nevertheless as reported above, it is used frequently. If you do elect to use it, be aware that you could get harrassed at some point by an angry landowner (note the landowners at the trailhead are not the problem).

Cabot

We did Cabot last month from the west side that is closed and had no problem. We broke it out (knee & thigh high) after that huge snow dumping, it was a long day. Broken out, it would make an easy day hike and the views from the old firetower area are wonderfull at sunset! There was only 2 of us to break it out so it was a lot of switching lead....

The Cabin is situated at a wonderfull spot looking out over the valley! It also has a thin padded bunk area and a gas cook stove. We didn't check if it was working though.

It was a great winter day hike !

While I understand that it is a bit of a pain, I recommend not going up from the west side until the FS can come to some agreement with the landowner. Granted, this may never come, but it would be a small price to pay for not antagonizing the many landowners who currently agree to allow hikers to walk across their property.

The problem is complex, and may effect some of the other trail accesses we take for granted. The other approaches aren't much more difficult.

-dave-

A group of us did the Cabot loop during the VFTT Winter Gathering and had a fun time of it! It was a long day to say the least but great fun.

Given the recent heavy snow it would not be a hike I would recommend for a solo endeavour, or even for a small group.

I agree with Dave about not using the disputed trail. There are many trails that rely on good relationships with landowners for access. Just head out on any of the trails from Ferncroft for instance.

Being in the right does not make it the right thing to do. You might have the right of way on a crosswalk but walking in front of a speeding truck would not be the best way to defend that right.

Bob

As HikerBob said, the loop from the Hatchery can be a long one (a little over 10 miles), but if you start before 9 a.m. and try to avoid hiking in a heavy, wet snowfall or getting turned around on the way down you should be able to get back to the car before the coyotes start howling. :D :D :D

(The above, for those who don't recognize it, is an abbreviated TR of our walk during the Gathering.)