Hiking in NE Vermont - East Burke area

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowcat

Reaction score
thinking about heading up to the NE corner of Vermont. The main goal is to check out the mountain biking at the Kingdom. It's been rated one of the best in the country -- so we'll see. We'll be staying in or around East Burke & I'm looking for input on any great hiking spots or other activities we shouldn't miss out on.
any info w/b appreciated!
thanks

Mount Pisgah?

how come the only info i can find on mt pisgah is the mountain by the same name in nc? if you know of any links feel free to forward. i think we are going to stay at the b&b at moose crossing. have you ever heard of it? it's some bed/bkfast place on 15 acres & the prices were really reasonable. thought of staying at the campground, not the one the ski resort started but the one across from the lake. but a hot shower & compfy bed kind of won over.

Belvidere along the Long Trail is a nice, if easy hike and offers nice views.
Spruce Mountain near there also offers nice views and an easy hike.
Burke has nice views but I am unsure whether there is a hiking trail beyond the road.
If you can find the trailhead, Gore Mountain has a nice trail with some views.
"Dayhikers Guide to Vermont" and "Long Trail Guide" are your best sources of information on trail location and terrain.

enjoy.

Kingdom Trails

Darn, so some one else has heard of this place?
Yes, the trails rock. Hands down the best mtn. biking this side of the Wasatch. You'll have a great time.

We usually camp in Island Pond at Brighton SP, very nice place. Most VT state parks have choices of sites with lean-tos or not. And there are coin showers (.25 !) too, many sites are on the pond up there (not Island Pond ironically, Spectacle pond).

I elected out of the Sunday ride last year and hiked Mt. Pisgah, as has been recommended near Lake Willoughby. You could look back to Burke Mtn from the summit ledges. It's a very cool fjord like lake - like 300' deep or something! Very dramatic looking from Burke Mtn.

It's a cool town...high on my list of places to move to. Great little pub in town: the Pub Outback. The bike shop is small, but some of them are the ones that started cutting trails and got the non-profit going. For your trail pass, it's well worth it. Check out Poundcake, Fence Line, and our favorite Webs for singletrack. The latter winds by switchback through a coniferous forest (ride it downhill and then go back up and do it again!). Oh and you can find places to swim and hang out on the rocks on both branches of the Passumpsic River which delineates the trails east and west.

There's a good diner in Island Pond for breakfast and an awesome outfitter/shoe store there run by the 12 Tribes of Israel. They have one of the most extensive inventories of footwear I've ever seen! Closed Saturdays though.

the kingdom

Bluebearee - i am so psyched about going now even more. all you guys have been very helpful. now i just found out my pet sitter isn't available so i'm scrambling to find another one. you guys know of any pet sitters down around albany?