Hiking in the rain?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you hike in the rain?

• Total voters

Double Bow

Reaction score
Ashuelot, NH (anyone know where that is?) Avatar:
As I am currently planning to be out hiking in the rain tomorrow, it occurs to me that it's something I almost never used to do. I wonder just how many people do this and with what regularity.

Do the storm gods never scare you off?
Does the prospect of getting caught in a summer shower appeal to you?
Or, do you have sense enough to come in out of the rain??

The way I see it, I've got rain gear and I ought to use it! :D

Double Bow said:
Do the storm gods never scare you off?
Does the prospect of getting caught in a summer shower appeal to you?
Or, do you have sense enough to come in out of the rain??
Never.
Yes.
No.

Over 10 years ago, I was hiking with my son, when a BIG storm hit. Tail of a hurricaine. It is the day that the slide on the Dix-Round Pond trail happened, but we were no the other side of the mountain.

The winds were terrible. Several times, we were walking, and a nearby tree went down.

It was not a pleasant hike. I will never knowingly hike in a hurricaine again.

what rain?

I plan my climbs without regard of the forecast. (Unless it says -40 degrees with heavy winds etc) It seems as though the weatherman is only right 50% of the time anyway. If the conditions get bad (dangerous) enough we'll bail out during the climb/trip. We have had to bail in the winter a few times, but only once in the spring due to rain. And the one time we bailed due to rain was because we were afraid we wouldn't get back over the water crossings we had on the way out. We always say the weather doesn't change our plans, it just changes what we wear.

I just returned from hiking in the rain. It was raining when I left, it rained the entire hike and its still raining. If its raining tommorrow I'll hike again. This is about the only time I get to hike (besides sundays) from spring to fall because of work. Besides, I have all that gore-tex stuff, might as well use it.

I like the rain.
I like extremes and pushing through them.
When prepared (with the right clothes) it's fun to just walk all slopped out - just makes it more enjoyable when you get to camp and you can have something warm to eat, put on whatever dry camp clothes you have (if any) and sleep hearing the rain beating on the roof.

The hard part about hiking in the rain is waking up the next morning and putting on your wet hiking shirt... but then it surprises you that the synthetic actually warms you up, even if all wet... aaah technology.

If I'm backpacking, no way am I sitting in a tent and not making forward progress that day....and the only trip I've ever done where I didn't have at least one soaking rain day was out in Colorado!

At home, rain may influence where I hike, I'll stay closer to home or opt for a trail run instead if the weather is yucky (like it is today!)

I save the rainy day hikes for flat or low elevation walks to ponds, streams, or other low-level locations. Save the peaks for the nice days.

Hmm, looks like I am the only weenie here...

We had planned a 23 mile outing on the AT in Western MA this weekend. The trails will be full of mud and still raining.....Doesn't sound like fun to me...I'll put in an extra day of work this weekend and have TWO days to hike next weekend--the advantages of being self employed.....

Good question....
...Jade

I own every piece of rain gear ever made that I've spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on. And if we've got a hike planned and there's even one cloud in the sky......

.....then I stay home.

denton fabrics
union hiker

only a cold winter rain would make me think about cancelling a trip......

although there are times when rain has tipped a decision based other major factors and the rain was just the feather that broke the camels back. usually i would just change the destination.

Change of view

When I lived away from the mountains I would hike under all conditions because hiking was an occurrance that took planning and time commitment. Now that I live right in the Whites, and only work two days a week I find that I hike less, and am picky about the weather. My house is surrounded by mountains and deep in the woods. I don't need the "green fix" as much as I formerly did. Part of my property is an "inholding" of the WMNF which means my backyard is the WMNF. :D

Jade...You're not the only weenie. I just cancelled on a Bonds Traverse that OrsonAB and I had planned. Spending hours in a cold rain reminds me way too much of my late teens when I was in the Army. :( When the fun meter is pegged at zero, I'd just as soon stay home.

Glenn

Last edited:
The older I get, and I am getting there fast, the more I want good weather, after all the years I've been hiking I've had my share of rainy slogs. No thanks.:cool:

mudhook51 said:
I just returned from hiking in the rain. It was raining when I left, it rained the entire hike and its still raining. If its raining tommorrow I'll hike again. This is about the only time I get to hike (besides sundays) from spring to fall because of work. Besides, I have all that gore-tex stuff, might as well use it.

I second your comments.
I too, just returned from a hike. I know this sounds weird but I was almost disapointed it wasn't raining harder. I just felt like going out in the rain.
I wouldn't want to do ALL the time though. ;)

It is important to get used to hiking in rain, because eventually you will be doing it. It can be fun, but it does add more risk. I was doing it today over the summit of Mt. Greylock. The key to hiking in rain is to stay warm, not dry. If your hiking in rain all day you are going to get wet, all of what you are wearing will get wet, gore-tex or no gore-tex. In warm summer rain, you can comfortably hike in just a t-shirt ( I assume you always wear some sort of pant!) Put rain gear on that day and you will be wet from sweat. Some days, however, one can not stay warm with just a t-shirt under rain gear. I think it is important to have a long sleeve warmer shirt, eg. long underwear crew neck top, to wear when your t-shirt is just not keeping you warm under raingear. The shirt should be one which you can afford to get wet. In other words, it is not the shirt you are counting on to be dry to keep you warm in camp at the end of the day. Another consideration is keeping your hands warm. For example, my hands were so cold today, I could not grip a zipper. I could not put enough pressure on a ziplock to tighten the cord for my hood, yet the actual temp was probably in the 50's, not 40s or freezing, just wet, windy and cold. If I had fallen and injured myself, so that I could not walk, I would have been an immediate candidate for hypothermia. In short, the next time you go for a hike in the rain, ask yourself, "If I had to stay in one place because of injury, do I have enough with me to stay dry and warm until help arrives? " You know you are really hiking in rain, if you are walking right through the mud and puddles on the trail and not noticing it, or better yet you are walking through the puddles and mud and enjoying it!

The rain doesn't slow me down any, but a cold driving rain can put a damper on the hike.

Just yesterday I went on an 18 mile bike ride, but only 3 other people in the club showed up. We had a great time anyway, and I'm doing 25 miles tomorrow and 22 on Sunday despite the rain.

I agree with rambler in that no matter what you wear you're going to get wet. I only worry about wearing rain gear for hiking in a cold spring or fall driving rain. In the Army we had a saying, that you would be miserable if you were cold, wet, and hungry, but any 2 out of the 3 were OK.