Hiking in the Whites on May 9th/10th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a campsite at Waterest in S. Woodstock on friday the 8th and saturday the 9th. Would be interested in perhaps doing Lincoln/Lafayette from Franconia State park or vincinity once I look at my maps. And perhaps something fairly short on Sunday in the area...

Anybody interested? I will be in Nashua, NH that week (see the Ice cream thread. :p)...

Jay

Jay, I may be open for a hike that weekend. I'll know better after this weekend. We could carpool if I go, I'm 9 miles from Nashua.

Cool Darl, I will probably be in Nashua on monday, but I am bringing my laptop so hopefully I can still be online. However, I can PM you my cell if you want to call. I think Jferris and I are thinking about some kind of Franconia ridge traverse in some fashion.... I am thinking about getting a campsite at Waterest shortly...

jay

Oh Boy, farm animals!! I got a new Duck, after losing my duck somewhere between Gothics and Armstrong when Arm and I did the partial traverse this past winter.

Jferris and I are talking about a franconia ridge traverse in some fashion, but it remains to be seen if that happens.

I hope not to spoil your all-girls weekend though. Maybe Steve-O and I will get our own site...:) If all of you plan on camping at Waterest, maybe we should get 2 sites...

Jay

Ohhh, logistical problem, I just called Waterest and got a message saying they're not open til Memorial Day.. I don't know of any other place to stay as I've only stayed at Waterest before...

Might be a better idea that one of you locals make the reservations somewhere and let me know... I know there are other private campgrounds that may be open further north but I don't know how nice they are..

Jay

I just stayed at Campton campground sat and had the whole group area to myself.I was going to Waterville valley campground which is open yr round but unplowed and I was surprised to see campton open.Both are State owned with the fee tube payment

Thanks for the update.. I'll have to research where Campton is... First come first serve then? I think I can get out Friday late morning... hope to beat the boston exodus traffic I guess..

Well, ReserveAmerica says Camptons doesn't open til the 21st (at least for reservations)...

If it's unplowed, you saying I'll have to be worried about snow? I may be able to get there friday afternoon so I may not be worried about grabbing a site...

Jay

Last edited:
Hey Jay,
I can't hike that weekend. :(

I would think you could secure a site at the WMNF Hancock campsite.
( about 4-5 miles off of rt. 93. on rt 112 " the kank "
First come first served, but if you get there by early afternoon friday, I don't think you will have a problem. Also, if you play your cards right, you can have firewood delivered to your site via. golfcart.:)

Last edited:
Thanks for the update.. I'll have to research where Campton is... First come first serve then? I think I can get out Friday late morning... hope to beat the boston exodus traffic I guess..

Well, ReserveAmerica says Camptons doesn't open til the 21st (at least for reservations)...

If it's unplowed, you saying I'll have to be worried about snow? I may be able to get there friday afternoon so I may not be worried about grabbing a site...

Jay
It's on rte 49 that goes to Waterville Valley.I was surprised that it was open,one side of the rd has camp sites and the other side has group areas grass fields, nice tables, and fire rings.I was going to Waterville campground because it's supposed to be open yr round (like Hancock) but they don't plow the rd.I doubt there is any snow on the campground rd now

Jay,

Let me know what "short" hike you are doing on the Sunday. I might be able to swing by. I have trail clearing in the daks on Saturday.

Phil

I would have to look at a real short hike that would allow me to get home too..

Right now, the plan is to get a large campsite at hancock...

Jay

I would have to look at a real short hike that would allow me to get home too..

Right now, the plan is to get a large campsite at hancock...

Jay

Large Campsite? It sounds like you are more interested in partying than hiking. I presume there is a large ice cream store near Hancock.

Jay,

Let me know what "short" hike you are doing on the Sunday. I might be able to swing by. I have trail clearing in the daks on Saturday.

Phil

Maybe Tecumseh, supposedly a pretty short hike but it might be a long way to go from hancock, if my memory serves me. I can't find my Whites map adventures map and may have to buy one when I get there...

Jay

Tecumseh sounds like a good big little hike that I might be able to swing.
Are you camping Saturday night Jay? If so where? I will try and meet up with you.
I'll be driving over from NY 73 so don't make it too hard to find! :)