Hiking Moat Mountains to Attitash

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redreboot

Reaction score
Was looking for some fun back country hikes/skiing to do with one of my friends, and we realized that the moat mountain trails bring you within a mile of attitash ski area. We’ve decided that in like March we’ll hike it (roughly 8 miles), one through the back country, and snag a run down attitash. Has anyone done this before? Or have any good reason not to? It seems pretty easy as far as we can tell.

Haven't done it myself, but can't see a reason not to. As the saying goes, you won't know until you go. That ~1 mile (and 1300') could be good, could be bad. Look at the data available to you (LIDAR, topo maps, aerial photography), and if it still looks easy, do it. Hell, even if it looks less than ideal, and it's what you want to do... do it anyway. That's the fun of the unknown!

Was looking for some fun back country hikes/skiing to do with one of my friends, and we realized that the moat mountain trails bring you within a mile of attitash ski area. We’ve decided that in like March we’ll hike it (roughly 8 miles), one through the back country, and snag a run down attitash. Has anyone done this before? Or have any good reason not to? It seems pretty easy as far as we can tell.
Been there. Once past the turn off for North Moat the trail is not used that much and can be hard to follow. When we left the trail turning towards Attitash on skis it landed up being one of the toughest bushwhacks I have ever done. This was over 20 years ago, but things may be different now depending on your line. IMO If you want to ski Attitash that bad check their uphill policy.

Haven't done the skiing thing but have done an extended Moats traverse (starting at Bear Notch Rd.) where we bushwhacked from Big Attitash to North Moat.