Hiking with Stephen King (Lafayette 1/27/2007)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While all this discussion on hydration may seen obvious, it is really important. Drink early, and drink often. Discipline in the key. After all these years, I still occasionally fail to hydrate adequately. I then cramp-up.

I stopped using a hydration system during the period October 1st to May 1st. after a few freeze-ups. I stick to inverted, insulated water bottles and a thermos.

sardog1,
That's good information. I didn't realize that there was a difference between off-the-shelf gatorade and the powder version. Thanks.

Originally Posted by MichaelJ
Drink *before* you get thirsty. If you wait until you're thirsty, you are already starting to be dehydrated.

I like the idea of “strategic hydration”, i.e.- stop to drink at a regular interval. Don’t wait till you’re thirsty. By then you are already behind the curve. Cramping isn’t the only issue, you start to lose some coordination, even tho you might not feel or notice that.

Similar to some of the other postings above, I keep an insulated liter on my belt (yup- it is really a pain to stop for that drink), one in my pack with an electrolyte/carb powder mixed in, and a thermos of hot chocolate. Also, since I frequently get hamstring cramps mid hikes in the summer, I pack a generous baggy of the Kettles Brand chips- they’re the highest Potassium chips I’ve found- which supplements the drink.

Jen-san said:
Doug,
Yes, I experienced the bladder system freezing up and that is the reason I've switched to insulated nalgene bottles. On this particular hike, I had one bottle attached to the front of my shoulder strap (within easy access) and another one in my pack. I had been stopping to drink often, or so I thought, but apparently I needed to consume more fluid on the ascent than I did. I also drank a liter of water on the drive up. Perhaps I'll try gatorade--that worked well during the summer hikes. If I can figure out a way to minimize or eliminate the bladder system freezing problem, I'll post the results. Whatever the case, I will be sure to have the insulated nalgene bottles as backups as you've suggested.

My suggestion is do NOT post the results here, but immediately file a patent and get rich!!! :)