Home Fitness Equipment Recommendations

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marty

Reaction score
Hi all,
My family looking to retire our ancient Nordic Track X-country ski machine and I am looking for recommendations for home fitness equipment. For me, this would constitute roughly half my workout regiment, supplemented by running, bicycling and hiking.

Our ideal machine would do the following:

• Have a variety of settings for different workout regiments
  • Give a good cardiovascular workout
  • Give some degree of upper body workout, similar to a Nordic Track
  • Allow one to read (I am able to do that on my Nordic Track)

One device that was recommended to me is the Cybex Arc Trainer: http://www.cybexintl.com/products/cardio/ArcTrainers.aspx

I would appreciate any feedback you have on home fitness equipment, including the Arc Trainer.

Thanks,
Marty

Wow! This is a tough one! The first three conditions are relatively easy to satisfy with a number of available pieces of equipment. I guess I would consider an elliptical trainer.

1) You can get your arms into it.
2) There is not a lot of pounding hence you might be able to concentrate on reading. I wore one out a few years ago and had no trouble watching TV while using it but I never tried reading.

One device that was recommended to me is the Cybex Arc Trainer: http://www.cybexintl.com/products/cardio/ArcTrainers.aspx

The Arc Trainer is amazing. I cannot recommend it enough. Since I'm still not able to run, I've been doing a TON of cross training as of late... and the Arc Trainer is my machine of choice (though I do throw some Elliptical workouts in there on occasion). I'm pretty convinced that using it is substantially speeding up my recovery time and improving my performance on the hiking trails. The resistance/incline settings are just great - lots of options there. In my case, I'm able to program the machine to give me a large range of motion in my hip joint, at a relatively low resistance. Also, I'm able to get my heart rate up to an insanely high rate with (what seems like) not a ton of effort.

Do let me know if you have any questions. It's important to note that I've only used the lower body machine, and not the one with the arm handles.

The Y that I go to has that model. While I haven't used it, it appears from watching others to be very well and solidly built. It's important to not get consumer-grade or a "home" model as some brands are, they won't stay together under serious use. This is a real fitness-center quality piece of equipment and while probably quite pricy, is the way to go.

Not an arc trainer

I have a Nordic Trak Elite 3200 treadmill and its a high quality home machine.
I alternate between brisk uphill walking (12% grade and 3.3 mph) and slow jogging (4.5-5.5 mph/4% grade to 0%). Its a great lower body and upper body workout, retaining good core connection, posture and using "marching" motion with the arms gives a great workout for the upper body.

Nordic Track has a great website and they often have very good sales -- my treadmill retailed for $3500; but I purchased it online for $1299 directly through NT as a close-out. It has varying speeds and grades, computerized readout for rate, heart rate, calories, distance, time, etc; can track the data for three different users, and is cable ready and has a small TV screen. Its quiet and the cushioning of the track can be modified. I purchased a five year warranty through NT for $69. Its now two years old and I've had no problems with it.

For me, a treadmill is a great option for endurance training, especially during daylight savings time season, when it gets its heaviest use.

Good luck with your decision!

My Corporate gym (which is about the size of a bally's) has several of these all parked next to the Elliptical Trainers - Most people stay on the Ellipticals rather than the ARCS
- it could be because the ARCS each have a big TV screen on them which sits right in front of your face blocking your view of everything in front of you
- or it could be because the ARCS take more energy in your workout - Meaning you are exercising more and burning more calories.
One of the things related to this and that I didn't really care for was the required continous movement of the arms - Our ARCS don't have a center handle you can hang on to for those times when you want to just burn out on the legs and not have to pump your arms.

Hi Marty,

Whatever you decide to buy, make sure you check out craigslist, ebay and the want-ads. It's always a huge buyers market for any type of fitness equipment. People always buy stuff with the best intentions but the equipment turns into a hat rack after 3 months.

bob

Latest posts