How much stiffer are Arctis Expe than Degre ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with both these boots ? I can hike all day in my Degres, but they are not as warm as I'd like. I have an opportunity to pick up some Expes at a reasonable price.

Chip, as with any other boot issue, YMMV. I hike all day (e.g., Owl's Head) in a pair of Verticals, which most people consider WAY too stiff for mountaineering. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Take your Degres to the store and try the Arctis, then try the Degres (allowing for some inner boot break-in comfort), and that should give you a pretty good idea how they'd be "out there."

Chip, if you ever make the trip to Campmor in Paramus, NJ, I've seen the Koflach boots there before... you can walk around the store, up little DIY incline things and shop in them...

I find the Degres plenty stiff enough for general winter hiking, but I've recently turned to leather mtn'ing boots for the NE winter hiking...

Jay

I didn't notice much in the way of stiffness (but i've only used them for ice climbing), however the Expes (which I have) are much heavier, which is what is preventing me from hiking in them

A word to the wise... Don't assume that the Expes will fit the same way as the Degres. I ended up with 3 pairs of Koflachs that way :eek:

Tried on size 13 Expes in store, bought size 13 Degres on ebay (too tight!), bought size 14 Degres from IME, wore one hike before realizing they were too loose, bought size 13 Expes from EMS online, sold both pairs of Degres on ebay for a nice loss :eek:

Chip -

Ever considered an insulated pair of snow boots? Lots on the market, and some models equal/exceed the warmth of a plastic boot. Plus they're quite light. They provide enough support all around to be suitable for long treks on snowshoes. They don't provide the support of a plastic boot, but for an hour or two they do fine with step-in crampons.

After several years of wearing Scarpa Invernos (the proverbial classic in cold-weather plastics) I'm a believer in these so-called snow boots. Cabela's sells an excellent one - IIRC it's called the Avalanche and they run about $70. I have several friends who love them. I bought some Solomon Snow Bows, but that model has changed - I think they have something comparable called a B52 (bomber, get it? I think you have to be under 30 to 'get' it).

Kevin

Chip: I"m going to 2nd Kevin's opinion. I have converted to The North Face "Chilkats" insulated winter boots for most all of my winter hiking. Used with Stabilicers, they have been great for most conditions. My Degrees are now used just for winter overnights or for areas requiring full crampons.
The Chilkats are very warm, are way lighter than my Degrees, and provide nice footbed and ankle support. Also really comfortable. Hope this helps.

The Degrees do seem to be more flexible in my opinion. I have both and use the Expe for cold cold. I also agree they are not the same in sizing 3 tries to get the width right. Also beware the half sizing of the inner boots, that took some questions to get straight.
The walk a mile rule still applies.

Years ago, I did some hiking in Koflach Viva Softs while taking a mountaineering class and they beat up my shins so badly I could hardly walk. Anyone considering hiking in plastic boots should make sure they won't do that.

I've done a bit of hiking in Sorels out here in CA in winter and they are much lighter and more comfortable than a plastic boot. I've tried on other insulated boots too and had a hard time finding a good fit, but something like a Baffin might be a good choice if they fit you.

I've read some posts about mukluks too. They look like they'd work for cold weather where they won't get soaked. They don't seem to be a real all weather boot, though.

Kevin Rooney said:
Chip -

Cabela's sells an excellent one - IIRC it's called the Avalanche and they run about $70. I have several friends who love them.
Kevin

Hey Kev
I'm in the market for my first pair of serious winter boots for peakbagging -- do you think the ones you referenced <above> would be a suitable alternative to Degre's for the Daks/Whites? I need something toasty warm but I'm not sold on hiking big miles in stiff plastics.

Thanks in advance,
Sabrina

una_dogger said:
Hey Kev
I'm in the market for my first pair of serious winter boots for peakbagging -- do you think the ones you referenced <above> would be a suitable alternative to Degre's for the Daks/Whites? I need something toasty warm but I'm not sold on hiking big miles in stiff plastics.

Thanks in advance,
Sabrina

Yes, I do Sabrina, and at $70 a pair they're pretty reasonable. I know of at least one person who bought several pairs of one model which was going out of production, in part because at least one pair has been made into 'screw boots'. These have the same grip as Stabilizers, but without the weight. If you're careful, the screws can be installed so they don't interfere with crampons or snowshoes.

I'm another to endorse the North Face Chillkats as a great alternative to plastics. I own Kofflachs, hate them, and only wear them when it is extreme.

Chillkats don't fit sloppy like most pac type boots, they're rated for -25, and will hold snowshoes and traditional (non-newmatic) crampons reasonably well. I like them enough that I am on my 2nd pair.

Damon