How old are you ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How old are you ?

• under 20

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 20's

Votes: 41 12.9%
  • 30's

Votes: 61 19.1%
  • 40's

Votes: 86 27.0%
  • 50's

Votes: 94 29.5%
  • 60's

Votes: 32 10.0%
  • 70's

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 80 and up !

Votes: 1 0.3%

• Total voters
pudgy_groundhog said:
Awwww, I love those little snowshoes!
Thanks, he does too! They're a pair of Winter Walkers that I got at the LL Bean outlet for $16 (50% off sale) about a year ago in March. Trouble is, I had to work at getting his boots into the bindings this year - he's already growing out of them!!!! At least his 2 year old sister can use them next year. :)

That's why you have more than one child - you get more mileage out of everything. :rolleyes:

And I know what you mean MadTownie - I shared a lot of photo ops like yours with my dad, and now find myself occupying the "older but not necessarily wiser" spot in the candid photos.

Last edited:
Rather than carping about the lack of 20-somethings here, I'd like to remark on the similar number of 60-somethings and above. Many of these people are decades older than me and still at it, and should be an inspiration to us all.

It's hard to say when I went on my first hike as what's to separate it from a long walk, but this summer will be the 50th anniversary of the first NH 4k I walked up. Years in places often far away and an urban college meant I mostly hiked elsewhere or not at all, but I moved to NH and my sister got me into winter peakbagging and this was my 35th winter in a row of with least one NH 4k climbed.

Thanks for putting this poll together, Chip.

While it sometimes seems as if I'm the oldest hiker on the trail, I was pleased to find myself on the "summit" (50s) of the bell curve.

I started hiking in my late 20s, and while an aversion to driving long distances, other interests and life's responsibilities have drawn me away from the hills at times, I always recover my enthusiasm.

I expect to stay in the game as long as I can still move from point A to point B.

--Dave

Neil said:
Does the poll question successfully address his exact question?
Yes it does. Without VFtT and several of it's members, I wouldn't have hiked and climbed as much of the Whites, and to a lesser degree the Catskills and Dacks, in the past couple years as I have - which I'm thankful for. Selfishly I was interested in learning where I am on the age curve here.

I think 240 poll responses is great and I'm sure this represents the ages of active members well. I think the results give younger members something to look forward to. I also believe the results may encourage older members to join more posted hikes, knowing there's nearly a 70% chance they'll be hiking with someone 40 or older.

Last edited:
Chip said:
Yes it does. Without VFtT and several of it's members, I wouldn't have hiked and climbed as much of the Whites, and to a lesser degree the Catskills and Dacks, in the past couple years as I have - which I'm thankful for. Selfishly I was interested in learning where I am on the age curve here.

I think 240 poll responses is great and I'm sure this represents the ages of active members well. I think the results give younger members something to look forward to. I also believe the results may encourage older members to join more posted hikes, knowing there's nearly a 70% chance they'll be hiking with someone 40 or older.

Hike on... Hike on.... and don't stop "n" til you drop. Kids are no matter because your gonna get a bit fatter and it does'nt really matter...cause you hike and the kids are gonna carry on it in the latter. So Hike on and on.
If your fifty and still hanging with the nifty then why be thrifty.
Hike on ...Hike on.

Chip said:
I also believe the results may encourage older members to join more posted hikes, knowing there's nearly a 70% chance they'll be hiking with someone 40 or older.

Who you callin' older? :eek:

Seriously though, I've raced bicycles in the master class for a while and there are some really strong, really fast, really tough, really experienced guys who can easily hand you your legs. So age cannot be universally correlated to speed in either direction.

Tim

audrey said:
Pat and I will be in our 90's on our 50th anniversary. Maybe one of you younger ones will kindly wheel us out to the woods that day.
OK, I'll do it. Just remember to bring some of your salsa to the tequila tailgate. ;)

I'll confess to being a boldfaced liar about my age but here are a few tips I've learned about longevity on the trail and in other physical activities:

1. Use it or lose it.
2. It is easier to maintain conditioning than to regain it.
3. Eat drink and be merry, all in moderation.
4. Choose your parents wisely.

As for the statistical meaning of this sample, I'll leave it to the mathematicians to measure the daffodils. In my eye it offers a reflection of the fact that there is a recognized nature deficit disorder in young people. This disease is preventable and when you consider that your child may become your best hiking partner, it reinforces the biblical notion that as you sow, so shall you reap.

49 and counting

I'm 49 and first hiked (with my then 9 year old son - MW for 2 days) when I was 40.

I most recently hiked Madison, Adams and Jefferson in August and would hike more often if I lived less than 10 hours away. :(

I'm 29 and grew up in the city, so I was a late bloomer. Started on the outdoors stuff during college.

But when I shave I could pass for a High Schooler - it helps when I try to convince myself that my spinal discs are where they should be, my feet are great, and my shoulder pain doesn't wake me up from my sleep.

52 here!
I am emotionally 5 years old by choice so I can keep up with my almost 5 year old son.
Toying with the idea of going to one year old emotionally to keep up with my 4 month old son.
I started hiking at 38.
My wife thinks I'm stuck at 16. I tell her she's wrong but she's really right on about that.
I get out hiking and backpacking as often as I can. Those backpacking nights are when I get my best night's sleep.
I have more footwear than my wife does but she has more sense than I do.
Getting out makes me a better person...she'll agree.
When I am hiking with Arlo, we play cops and robbers, I am the bad guy and he chases me up the trail and always pokes me in the butt with a big stick!!
Arlo started actively walking at 3 years and climbed Cascade with no help at 4. Slide in the Catskills at 4.5 years.
Great Thread!
;)

Last edited:
The NYT recently published an interesting "personal best"
article on aging and physical performance. It presents the argument that muscle mass and lactic threshold need not decline with age. The theory is that intensity, not volume, of workout is the key. I found the 50-odd reader comments as interesting as the article itself--there are the usual "I'm 75 and still frisky as a kid" testimonials but also some other physical and scientific factors to consider in this matter.

Waumbek said:
The NYT recently published an interesting "personal best"
article on aging and physical performance. It presents the argument that muscle mass and lactic threshold need not decline with age. The theory is that intensity, not volume, of workout is the key. I found the 50-odd reader comments as interesting as the article itself--there are the usual "I'm 75 and still frisky as a kid" testimonials but also some other physical and scientific factors to consider in this matter.

I think that in many cases it is "other physical and scientific factors" that the NYT article did not consider, such as arthritic joints, especially in the lower body such as toes, ankles, knees, and hips, that can limit performance with increasing age. I know that there are alternatives to hiking and skiing, but I simply do not like swimming. :(

These poll results are very interesting as I've seen similar polls on other forums that I go to. On the GM/camaro boards the majority are in their 30's and 40's, and on the snowmobile sites the majority are in their 20's and 30's, with a large number of teens. I don't know if you can make any real world conclusions based on that, but it's still interesting to me.

Dr. Dasypodidae said:
I think that in many cases it is "other physical and scientific factors" that the NYT article did not consider, such as arthritic joints, especially in the lower body such as toes, ankles, knees, and hips, that can limit performance with increasing age. I know that there are alternatives to hiking and skiing, but I simply do not like swimming. :(
Thom - if you're bothered by arthritis, consist biking - it doesn't stress the joints as much.

Also - I don't think it's a given that we have to develop arthritis as we age - I may be inferring something in your comments which isn't there, however.

In any case, it's my belief that genetics and our diet contribute to things like arthritis, heart disease, and other degenerative conditions. We can't avoid them all, especially if it's in our genes, but lots of them can be prevented/minimized.

1st peak (Marcy) was at age 51 in 2005.
This kicked my butt so I got younger.
Last year our group did the Great Range Traverse.
This year the Presidential Range.
Just train yourself hard, gently.

Currently, I’m 57.

My first mountain hike was Monadnock on May 1, 2005.

My first 4000 Footer was Tecumseh on May 14, 2005.

During the first summer I met my goal of completed my first pass through the 4000 Footers on July 23, 2005, which was before the first anniversary of heart surgery (8/3/2004). A few months later I met my next goal of completing the Winter 4000 Footers in a single season (~9 weeks with 2 weeks off due to injury). I'm currently working to complete my fifth pass through the list.

The majority of hikes were documented in trip reports which you can easily find if you’re interested in something to help you sleep.

For a while I was hiking multiple days per week but the schedule has settled back to usually one day per week. It seems about the only things that interfere with hiking are hunting season and really bad weather. I enjoy long, multi-peak hikes. I generally try to hike with others but occasionally enjoy a solo hike. Last year one of my hikes to Owl’s Head was solo. A traverse of the Wildcats-Carters-Moriah was also solo. It’s enjoyable and I expect to do more solo hiking this year, perhaps including some winter hikes. A significant negative to solo hikes is if a car spot is needed. Road walks and hitching a ride at the end of a long day can be a real character builder.

Earl

:D

I initially responded to the question, "How old are you?" on January 24. Today is February 6th. So, now I am two weeks older.

Just wanted to keep this thread current.

To quote Neil Gaiman ...

"I'm as old as my tongue. And almost as old as my teeth."