Howling in the Woods

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkyfreddy

Reaction score
Last week on an extremely remote lake in northern Maine my friend Josef and I heard a very bizarre howling sound coming out of the woods while we were kayaking at dusk. We couldn't figure out what was making the sounds, thought it might be a bear as the depth and tone of the sound indicated a large mammal.

Then yesterday Josef, Papabear, and I were packing up in our lean-to at Chimney Pond and preparing to hike out (so sad!) when a mother moose and her calf charged by and proceeded to have a breakfast of spruce buds within yards of us and other people. At one point the mother made sounds/spoke to it's calf.

After we heard it Josef and I both agreed that what we heard on the lake was a moose bellowing, which sounded quite eery when filtered through woods and water. I'm wondering whether it was a male in rut. For 10 days now I've been hearing the sounds of northern Maine, loons, wind, water, eagles, moose, etc. Quite an experience....... ;)

funkyfreddy said:
Last week on an extremely remote lake in northern Maine my friend Josef and I heard a very bizarre howling sound coming out of the woods while we were kayaking at dusk. We couldn't figure out what was making the sounds, thought it might be a bear as the depth and tone of the sound indicated a large mammal.

I understand that Mavs00 and his spouse were celebrating their 46 in northern Maine quite recently...