Hudson Palisades

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattC

Reaction score
Ulster County, NY Avatar: Chapel Pond From Giant M
On a whim, I bought the NYNJTC Hudson Palisades two-map set the other day in one of my local stores. I probably won't get down there for a while, maybe not until spring, but I'm wondering if any others have hiked there or would be interested in hooking up for some hikes in the future. Possibly some of the Jersey/NYC folks?

I'd be particularly interested in the Long Path, either doing full sections w/ car spots, or working out loops w/ other trails. Looking at the Jersey map, I see that the Shore Trail would work well w/ the LP for loops. There are several connectors-the Carpenters Trail, the Huylers Landing Trail, the Alpine Approach Trail, the Forest View Trail, and the north end of the Shore Trail itself. Anyone know any of this trail system? What are the steeps like? Scrambling? Exposed stuff? Ladders? There are some obvious switchbacks on some of the connector trails. Do the Palisades cliffs hold snow or ice up?

Matt

I've hiked it all many times. Nothing exposed or technical, all very nice. I've always taken the subway and walked over from Mahattan (over the GWB).

Here's some old pictures: Palisades pictures. I must have some better ones, but I can't seem to find them at the moment.

Let me know when you feel like going. It's a great area and I'd go back on a good day anytime.

Pb

The Long Path starts at the Jersey side of the George Washington Bridge and goes up to the Albany area. From the Palisades it follows the West shore of the Hudson for a while and then gets into Harriman State Park and moves up through the Gunks and on through places unknown (to me).

There is The Long Path Guide published by the NY NJ Trail Conference, a copy of which I won at last years Bannf Festival but I haven't studied it.

The Chapter are:

Hudson Palisades
Hudson Highlands
Schwangunk Range
Southern Catskills
Central Catskills
Northern Catskills
and
Capital District

Plus other stuff.

I think those who are familiar with the Catskills can comment on the state of the trail there. I'm just familiar with the southern sections into Harriman.

As for the Tappan Zee Bridge, the LP crosses the NY Thuway in Nyack. There may be bus service there but I'm not sure. I don't even know if you can walk over that bridge. If so, there is plenty of train service on the other side.

Probably Tom will know more about that area.

For others with serious interest, get the book. So far I have not been interested in backpacking the LP. I figure I should finish the AT first.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback, Papa Bear.

cantdog said:
This might interest me as a mud season option

Exactly what I had in mind. Spring is when I'm most likely to get down to the Palisades and Hudson Highlands. I'm close enough that I can drive down for dayhikes, but I may try to combine some Palisades hikes w/ visits to friends in NYC.

As for places to stay, I don't think there's much in the way of camping near the Palisades, and indoor lodging can't be cheap that close to the city. Camping with restrictions is allowed in Harriman State Park, which is not too far north of the Palisades. There might also be places to car camp in Jersey-I don't know that area.

Matt

There's some homeless who camp (illegally) on the Palisades.. every now and then (not recently) I hear of suicides along the cliffs there.

There is a boy scout camp in Alpine where I've parked and hiked the cliffs there too but I don't think there is any legal camping there. I've only dayhiked in the area and many years ago..

Jay

We should organize a trip in the spring! We could meet right by the GWB on the NJ side, the VFTT'ers from NYC would have the added attraction of walking over the George Washington Bridge from the A subway line.

As a matter of fact why don't we try and organize a small group to do the southern sections of the Long Path with the first hike starting at the GWB?

funkyfreddy said:
We should organize a trip in the spring! We could meet right by the GWB on the NJ side, the VFTT'ers from NYC would have the added attraction of walking over the George Washington Bridge from the A subway line.

As a matter of fact why don't we try and organize a small group to do the southern sections of the Long Path with the first hike starting at the GWB?

Good idea! I've always wanted to start at the bridge and walk North. Can you walk to one of the parking areas along the PSP for a car spot?

I'd give you a g-s ( :D ) but I'm fresh out!

Though I wasn't intending on doing the long path, when I hiked the palisades, we got off the Palisades Parkway at exit 3 in Alpine and parked across the street from a boy scout camp there and walked towards the hudson to the trail.

I think the actual start is in the park at the north side of the GWB, forget the name though, Fort Lee something or other...

aha!

Fort Lee historical park

Jay

Last edited:
A while ago a group of us went from the Bridge to Lamont Doherty (at the state line) where we parked somewhere. Its about 13 miles, and it's very level terrain, so I'd say quite an easy day hike. This gets the NJ section out of the way.

BTW: according to the web site, they are moving the start a quarter mile back to the little park in Fort Lee overlooking the bridge .

Jay H said:
Though I wasn't intending on doing the long path, when I hiked the palisades, we got off the Palisades Parkway at exit 3 in Alpine and parked across the street from a boy scout camp there and walked towards the hudson to the trail.

I think the actual start is in the park at the north side of the GWB, forget the name though, Fort Lee something or other...

aha!

Fort Lee historical park

Jay

I used to live right next to there (Dumont). The Palisades are quite scenic. Neat area.

Aaron (Askus3) just e-mailed me some info about the LP sections starting from the GW bridge - Thanks, Aaron! I haven't had a chance to look at it yet but figure this would be a good spring hike.

We could schedule it on a Sat or Sun. when most people are free. The city folks could walk over the bridge and meet the folks coming from upstate or NJ at the parking lot or start of the LP.

Tom Rankin said:
Good idea! I've always wanted to start at the bridge and walk North. Can you walk to one of the parking areas along the PSP for a car spot?

I'd give you a g-s ( :D ) but I'm fresh out!

Oh well, I guess you could do it tomorrow, couldn't you? :D :) ;)

Thanks for the responses, guys. As Mark points out, the Trail Conference just put out a new five-map Palisades set. Figures that I just bought the old two-map set. Oh, well...
Anyhow, I'm w/ Freddy on the plan to do a group hike or hikes in the spring. Exactly what I had in mind. The way this stupid weather is going, maybe we won't even have to wait until spring. There's plenty of mud, water, and rotten snow right now. :rolleyes:

Matt

Long Path

I hiked the section through Harriman to the far side of Schenemunk a few years back and found it BORING, lots of road work, even a few dreadful miles along a railroad track.

I've hiked several miles of it through Minnewaska State park and its gorgeous.

If I were to pick a section it would be through Minnewaska through the Catskills.

Sabrina

mcorsar said:
As Mark points out, the Trail Conference just put out a new five-map Palisades set. Figures that I just bought the old two-map set. Oh, well...
The major change in the new (2005) five map set is the addition of the three maps covering the area north of the Tappan Zee Bridge. The trails in the Jersey Palisades have not changed much if at all in the last 30 years, so the old (2004) two map set should still do nicely for this VFTT hike.

una_dogger said:
Long Path. I hiked the section through Harriman to the far side of Schunemunk a few years back and found it BORING, lots of road work, even a few dreadful miles along a railroad track.

I've hiked several miles of it through Minnewaska State park and its gorgeous.
The road walks further upstate do tend to be a downer. I agree that the section through Minnewaska is great. Ironically that section will no longer be part of the Long Path per a planned reroute shown on the 2005 Shawangunk Maps. However, the good news in the reroute is the elimination of the long road walk between Minnewaska and the Catskills. It will also open up some attractive new hiking areas in Minnewaska and Catskills. The planned route is (no schedule yet):
Verkeerder Kill Falls to High Point,
old blue trail to Four Mile Camp,
old paths past Panther Rock and Jacob's Ladder (areas recently added to Minnewaska State Park),
crossing Route 209 via short road walks on Port Ben Road and Lundy Road,
up the Vernooy Kill valley through the recently purchased Lundy estate to Vernooy Kill Falls.​

OK, it's springtime now!

and it was a beautiful day here in NYC!!! Anyone interested in exploring/conquering the beginning of NY's Long Path? Maybe we could start in Central Park, walk uptown then across the bridge, do a few miles in NJ then come back.......

or we could just start at the GWB, walk across it and do about 10-15 miles or so in NJ, maybe take the bus or walk back again.

I would like to do the southern portion of the NYLP as a series of dayhikes..... what do you think? :D ;)

funkyfreddy said:
and it was a beautiful day here in NYC!!! Anyone interested in exploring/conquering the beginning of NY's Long Path? Maybe we could start in Central Park, walk uptown then across the bridge, do a few miles in NJ then come back.......
I would like to do the southern portion of the NYLP as a series of dayhikes..... what do you think? :D ;)
I'm up for that. I like the idea of starting in Central Park. We can go up through Riverside park - an old running route I've done many times. There are places in NJ where there is bus service so you can avoid backtracking.