I am a 'DAKS virgin

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael

Reaction score
At the risk of being chastised by my fellow hikers for being so obviously New Englo-centric, I have come to the decision that I must confess my sins to this forum and hope for redemption.
I have never set foot on anything resembling a trail in the Empire State. :eek:
I don't have any real good excuses other than, 'It's too far (for a day hike)' or 'Too crowded' or 'Gee, um, we're running late, better keep heading to Remsen before the beer store closes' - all utterly lame.
So help me, kind people of 'Dak-ville' help me find the way.
Though I am inclined to head right over to Marcy and bag that sucker in a day hike after a 5 hour ride from Richmond, I would like to hear from a few of you as to what peak, loop trip or otherwise overnite adventure would be a suitable introduction to what the 'Daks have to offer. I read many many posts about NY hiking and I know that this forum is filled with great info but I would like to see what bubbles up as the 'You gotta do this hike first!' idea.
Thanks!

My favorite of the high peaks is Haystack. You could stay at Slant Rock or Panther Gorge to get away from the crowds. Were you thinking of winter hiking or waiting until the weather gets nicer? Also one of my favorite lesser peaks is Colvin. I happened to be on the summit at the sun was setting over the Great Range.....just AWESOME :) For your first venture maybe try Cascade and Porter. I did these guys a few years ago. Its a day hike from the parking lot and both peaks with summit time took me about 5 hours.

There are a lot of choices and there all great hikes. Another is Nippletop :D see i could go on forever. I am sure others will have suggestions as well. Welcome the the Daks!

I'm going to post an addendum to michael's question. I am also a mainer (in exile) and a daks virgin. In addition to the hike suggestions, where are the best cabins/hostels/motels in the area from which to launch assaults for these hikes?

Pamola said:
I'm going to post an addendum to michael's question. I am also a mainer (in exile) and a daks virgin. In addition to the hike suggestions, where are the best cabins/hostels/motels in the area from which to launch assaults for these hikes?

Peaks:

Cascade / Porter

Noonmark (non-46)

Phelps / Tabletop

Giant ( / Rocky) - Short and steep!

Marcy - 15 miles - 3000' elevation gain - gradual ascents for the most part.

Gothics - steep and tall!

Colden - Awesome views

Algonquin ( / Iroquois) - very steep - but not long

And all the rest! :D

Places to stay:

Jackrabbit Inn - Near Lake Placid - not bad - bunk rooms available

Cascade Inn - more bare bones

Cascade XC Ski Center - bunk rooms available - loosely associated with Jackrabbit

Adirondack Loj - camping, hotel, leantos, etc.

John's Brook Lodge - must hike in - Sort of like a hut

More details can be provided...

So many virgins, so little time...

My favorites are Haystack and Iroquois but if you ask me next week my answers may change. In fact I'm leaning towards the Dix Range as I write. :D

Thanks Tom and 1Adam12 and you other 'Daksters for the peak choices and accommodations list. I can detect some passion in your choices and some indecision as well. :D
And 'yes' non-46ers are ok too as I am going to go for the northeast 770 or is that 771? (772??) anyway, MJ the Missin' Link sent me a vast list that includes all 3k summits from PA to ME. If I live to be 75 I should have a good chance of making a dent in that.
One of my frustrations is this:
Every August me and the twins head to my sister's horse farm in Remsen and we have taken to going the long way through NH, VT across the lake to Essex NY (where I once spotted a VFTT signs indicating a meeting in progress) and then through the 'Daks and I am always gawking and rubber-neckin' at all the summits around me. The focus has always been to get to the farm where the rest of the family has gathered for the annual weekend Bouckville Antiques fair. So hiking has not been on the 'to do' list. This year could be different and so brother Pete (aka Hans) and I are contemplating some day hikes whilst the rest of the fam head to Bouckville.

Last edited:
I think Gothics is a classic ADK peaks and it is close to others that you can head out to them if you have the time, such as Sawteeth/Pyramid or Armstrong. Starting from AMR and St Huberts will also introduce you to the A-usable Club! :)

Colden is one of my favorites and it allows you to see an ADK classic path through Avalanche Lake...

Other non-4000' peaks that are nice in the area are Noonmark/Round, Roostercomb/Snowy, and Pitchoff. They would be on the NE770 list, if that makes it any better. ;)

Jay

I’ll recommend the very first serious High Peaks hike I took as a brash youth 45 years ago.

We started at Adirondack Loj (Heart Lake) and hiked in to Lake Colden via Avalanche Pass on Day One. Overnight at Lake Colden. On Day Two we trekked up the Opalescent and Feldspar Brooks to Lake Tear of the Clouds, then up and over Mt. Marcy and “home” via the Van Hoevenberg Trail.

The first day logs about 6 trail miles; the second covers about 12 miles.

This is not a hike to do if you are looking for solitude, but it is about as good a High Peaks hiking sampler as you can get in two days, in my opinion.

Avalanche Pass is spectacular. The Lake Colden area is beautiful (be sure to bring and use your bear canister). The Opalescent is an interesting mountain stream. Lake Tear is a spot that figures in US history. Mt. Marcy is the state’s high point. The Van Hoevenberg Trail will take you down past Indian Falls, which itself is another lovely Adirondack place. You will pass Marcy Dam twice, and Marcy Dam is … well, it’s Marcy Dam!

G.

Another Idea ...

You know, there is some decent Adirondack hiking not very far from Remsen, up in the McKeever-Thendara-Old Forge area. If you are looking for day trips you might try a loop that takes you past Middle Settlement Lake. Or, hike in to Woodhull Mountain or Woodhull Lake from McKeever.

This is not big mountain country, but it is the Adirondacks, nonetheless.

G.

I'm no Dacks expert, not by a long shot, but me and a couple friends have a tradition going back to highschool that goes: Late winter, usually mid-March, park at the Loj and pack HEAVY packs (think good food, cocktails, etc) the short distance into Marcy Dam (easy hike), grab a lean-to for a couple nights and do day trips up Phelps, Marcy, Avalanche, Algonquin, etc.
Marcy Dam is a great spot for several excellent loop hikes.

To me this is a classic, but I've never done much else up there. :eek:

I love it!

This is great you guys.
I appreciate the enthusiastic responses and ideas.
Chip, you're reading my mind! - love cocktail cruises in the hills :D
Grumpy thanks for tailoring your last idea for the Remsen area. Big help!

..also Pamola, perhaps there will be an opportunity to...um...and I must say this tactfully...maybe there will be opportunity to...uh...break the seal on 'Daks this summer? Seems we both, as well as a couple of my companieros, have an interest in filling in the blank spaces on our collective maps.
Could be a party fo' sho'!

I'd love to um...lose my 'dak innocence soon as well. My home nowadays is about halfway between richmond (whatta place! had a hiking buddy who grew up on pitts ctr rd) and the NY mountains, so it would only make sense to enter the unknown together. Considering I've done nothing there, as a young, courious hiker I'd be down for anything. Whoever takes the plunge first should let the other know.

michael said:
I don't have any real good excuses other than, 'It's too far (for a day hike)'

You have to consider this as perhaps a not too valid excuse lol. Having completed the 115 and quite a few of the 2 and 3k peaks in the Northeast a couple of us are always looking for hills left undone. last summer we ventured into new territory for day hikes. Driving from the Lake George NY area we completed day hikes at Pisgah St Park, Wantastiquet Mt and associated summits, Lucias and Moose Lookouts, Mt Sunapee, Skatutakee and Thumb Mts. I would therefore suggest hiking some of those fine lesser mts on Lake George as possible day trips. Black, Sleeping Beauty, Elephant mts would offer decent summits. Of course an extra hour on 1-87 north of Lake George will yield unlimited numbers of worthy mountains. just something more to ponder. :)

Not to put any pressure on him, but peak_bgr usually has an ADK Summer BBQ at his house, and a lot of peak bagging and partying ensues! :D

My .02:

Haystack is my favorite also

If I had just one day hike and wanted to be on more than one peak I'd do Wright's Algonquin & Iroquois loop so you go down to the lake & through Avalanche Pass.

Cascade & Porter a couple of the easiest from Cascade Pass Giant, Rocky Peak Ridge from 9N a true classic.

I di dnot get there last year so I hope to make it up there twice or more this year. (I did get to the Catskills three times though)

Anywhere in the Great Range! Several loops are available as day hikes from The Garden in Keene Valley, or even better hike in to the John's Brook area and day hike from there. Less crowded than Marcy Dam.

Michael,

And a little farther than Remsen, but not as far as the High Peaks for you, think about some hikes in the Indian Lake area. There are many of the ADK100 there, some of them trailled, others trailless. Some easy, some very challenging.

Peakbagr

Michael, we are here to help. :)

I've just officially committed to the ADK46 list and have about ten peaks under my belt so far, four in winter (and some non 46 peaks as well). My avatar is taken on Rocky Peak Ridge just a couple weeks ago.

MichaelJ and I will be doing lots of hiking in the Daks this spring and summer; looking forward to seeing you out there!

Don't miss the annual ADK Gathering -- I think its in August?? And a REALLY fun time.

The quality I love most about the Daks and one that I feel, IMHO, separates them from the Whites, is the wildness of the Daks. They are rugged and the approaches can be very long. They are steep and ledgy with plenty of opportunities for hand over foot climbing. To me, they feel similar to the Catskills, but alot bigger!

So far, Dix is my favorite, even though it kicked my butt! :D

Last edited:
I realize that I have sooo much to explore right here in New England but yet I too am intrigued and want to get a taste for this area too!! Maybe a gathering is the place to break the ice. Hmmm? :rolleyes: