I am a 'DAKS virgin

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Game!

hmmm...a gathering could be in my future...I'm not averse to crashing a keg party in NY...do I need to fill out any forms??
Not sure I can sign anything unless its wrapped in a zip-lock stuffed inside a jelly jar.

HikerAmiga said:
I realize that I have sooo much to explore right here in New England but yet I too am intrigued and want to get a taste for this area too!!
ya, you know my usual hiking partners are all DAK-less as well :eek: really is strange. They, like you are feeling like there is so much in New England that has yet to be explored - so true! and we all recognize NY as definitely peer-to-peer hiking, the northeast kinda rocks IMHO! but yet not one of us has crossed over to NY. Why are we such hiking snobs in Vacationland? :eek: :confused: :D ok I know that is not true but I feel kinda like an outcast having acted like the NEHH is 'the thing', so yes, in recognition of the greater Appalachian mountain chain I hereby accept the area West of Burlington VT and east of Fort Collins Coloradao as suitable hiking terrain worthy of a crusty gang of Yanks!
...we do this and next thing you know we'll be heading to the Chic-chocs!

michael said:
, in recognition of the greater Appalachian mountain chain I hereby accept the area West of Burlington VT and east of Fort Collins Coloradao as suitable hiking terrain worthy of a crusty gang of Yanks!
...we do this and next thing you know we'll be heading to the Chic-chocs!

Well, now that you have been converted, Welcome to the West Bank of the Greens and the Great Beyond!

I think you really need to pack up your buddies and spend a four or five days backpacking in the High Peaks to get "acclimated".

:p

michael said:
...I feel kinda like an outcast having acted like the NEHH is 'the thing'!

I, on the other hand, am probably NOT a peakbagger at all and just enjoy hiking and would define myself more of an enthusiastic "sampler" of the outdoors (a little bit of this; a little bit of that)...and while I call myself a New Englander living here since 1966, can you believe I've never been to Vermont? This is the reason I say I there's still so much of NE to explore. However, given my "sampling" nature, I am game to expand my horizons and visit other places given the opportunity including the Chic-chocs you mention above, where ever that is?? :eek: :) EDIT: just googled it-- Chic-chocs are in Canada. Nice!!

Just goes to prove, I've got to get out more!! :)

Last edited:
michael said:
:eek: :eek:
That's incredible! Where you been hiding out, Shangri-La? :p

I wish:rolleyes: .... but seriously, this is a good post Michael and it's got me seriously thinking about expanding my horizons a bit and maybe I'll get the opportunity to go sooner rather than wait for the August gathering.

Thanks for posting!

Well, looks like michael needs to head west and hikeramiga needs to head north. All are welcome to my riverside abode for springboarding west or simply visitng the green mountain state. It would seem there's some serious momentum for a tyro trip to the Daks. So who's going to spearhead this? Or we could simply cross that bridge when we get there.
Norwich is the St. Louis of the East.
Go west young man!

I know what you mean about the drive from Maine to NY, I live in the Champlain Valley for 18 years now and have never made it to Katadin yet, which from what I hear about it, is debatably the most spectacular mountain in the east. In fact, the only Maine mountain I have ever hiked is Bigelow. It is real tough to drive right by the Whites when I have already been driving for close to 3 hours. One thing unique to the Adirondacks is the slide climbs. My favorite hikes in the east are either Huntington Ravine ascent of Washington with Boote Spur descent, or Colden Dike ascent with colden east slide descent in the ADKs. So you can guess what my choice for an ADK hike would be if I could only do one hike in the ADKs. You should be experienced with off trail travel to do the dike and the east slide is tough to find from the summit ridge trail, but trust me, it is there. Also, the dike ascent loses allot of its luster if you get out of the dike to late and miss the open slide ascent. It is also a hike I will only do in dry conditions. Other spectacular hikes - Rocky peak & Giant traverse with 2 cars, 1 at each trail head. Haystack for summit view, Saddleback for fun west face scramble (plus you can contrast Saddlebacks, Maine vs NY), Basin, Gothics (probably the best mountain to look at from afar, which is the problem with its summit view, you can't view gothics itself). If you go to Gothics, go to Pyramid peak, outstanding viewpoint of the slides !!! Algonquin is gorgeous but crowded due to its proximity to the trailhead, Iroquois on the same ridge is probaby more picked a favorite since its summit view is similar to Algonquin but it is a couple miles further from the trail head then Algonquin, most day hikers stop at Algonquin.
Non 46ers favorites: Noonmark, Hurricane, Tongue Mountain at Lake George.
And it goes on and on and I better get back to work...

:(

Michael and company.
Crossing state lines is all good.
I finally did Maine last year (hiking wise).
Goose Eye to the Crockers. 14 peaks in 6 days, including travel.
Love Maine! Can't wait to do Baxter in September.

Great advice and hard to go wrong on any of these trips.
Here's a webshots album from Monday to whet your appetite.
(plus many other good albums in there as well)

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/558161806HFrXjb

Happy Trails!
-Sean

Doc McPeak said:
Love Maine! Can't wait to do Baxter in September.

Yes, been to Maine, specifically Acadia though need to go back. However, would LOVE to go to Baxter. Have heard so much about it lately that I am soooo intrigued and especially considering that it's nearby... If I can't get a companion(s) to make it happen between late Spring and Fall, I may post here later to see if anyone else needs company for such a backpacking/hiking trip.

Welcome to the Dak-side.

Since Remsen is quite a drive from the High Peaks....and not sure how much time your looking at....might I suggest a couple locations a little closer to you- (but definately not in league with the High Peaks)?

Just before you reach Saranac- there is Ampersand Mt.- it has quite the view from the top- for a lesser peak.

The Indian Lake area has also been mentioned- Snowy Mt makes for a nice leisurely hike.

How about a quick jaunt up Chimney Mt. also in Indian Lake. It is a must see because it is something of a geological oddity. Give yourself plenty of time to roam around the top of that one.

If you determine it must be a High Peak....Cascade and Porter are super busy on summer weekends. My favorite has always been Giant. Fantastic view of the other High Peaks.

Don't forget Noonmark....also with a great view of the highpeaks -it would give you a taste of everything you'll have to come back for!!!

HikerAmiga said:
If I can't get a companion(s) to make it happen between late Spring and Fall, I may post here later to see if anyone else needs company for such a backpacking/hiking trip.

My tentative plans are for an extended stay of 9 days. Some of that will be with my old backpacking friend on our yearly get together, but some of it most likely will include open days. I'll let you know the dates when we decide and who else expresses interest if you want?

And definitely check out the Daks!

Doc McPeak said:
My tentative plans are for an extended stay of 9 days... some of it most likely will include open days. I'll let you know the dates when we decide and who else expresses interest if you want

Yes, please keep me posted...terrific and thanks! :)

thanks everyone

:)
well there is lots to think about and I will endeavor to formulate a plan.
My availability varies. I usually get out every other weekend and the schedule changes abruptly from time to time so sometimes I go out on a whim. Since I cannot commit to a date right at this moment all I will say is sometime after Memorial Day but before Labor Day. But don't hold me to that!! :rolleyes: I'll post in Trips & Events when the time draws nigh.
Thanks again for all the great beta and suggestions. Looking forward to it, wherever it may be.
-michael