"I hit a moose and it wasn't even hurt!"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just have to point out that those bikers probably do a lot for the NH economy. AND they get better gas mileage than most of us.

Just saying'... :)

Not probably, definitely.

And a rainy bikeweek means less money, and unfortunately the past few have been just that. I have a few friends in the restaurant biz up here in the Plymouth/Campton/Lincoln area, I've heard from them business was less than spectacular this year.

And don't get me wrong, got no problem with the bikers themselves. It's just a little peav of mine every year when you gotta get 3 miles into the woods from the Kanc just to drown out their sound. And being a local up here I'm allowed to gripe just a little when my quiet deck on 175 turns into the Indy 500 for a week.

And I dare say I'm just jealous because I don't own a bike myself. :)

That's pretty much what the moose say after us hikers pass by.

Haha, touche my friend, touche. :D:p

But enough about bikers already, great shots as usual forestgnome! Cute little thing!

Last edited:
Loggers

Not to throw a shot Loggers BUT I take my dog for walks on Logging roads on are "off" hike days. I have seen areas of NUMEROUS moose skeltons piled in designated areas. I have photos but they are not pleasant (the smell in those graves are what brought me to discover them in first place).

Another credit to "Mankind".

Can't necessarily blame loggers for those carcasses on the logging roads. It took me few times to figure it out, but there is a clearing about 200 yards up the Old Waterville Rd off Rt 49 in WV where a new, dead moose turned up every few months. At first I thought it was a Tarzanesque moose graveyard, where old moose went to die, but then a smarter friend pointed out that the road is gated -- but that the local transportation guys almost certainly have the key. We were finding road-killed moose, removed from the side of the road and placed back in nature where at least they could go back into the food chain -- which, by all the sign around, the certainly did... coyotes, foxes, and lots of other critters clearly were having a feast. But you're right, the smell is absolutely revolting.

Thanks for the reminder, ForestGnome, and even more for the lovely shots of the little guys.

If I were to hit a moose with my car, but it walked off, would it be worthwhile to call the authorities (NH Fish & Game, or the police) to see if they could track the poor thing down and put it down humanely? Would they even respond, if the animal wasn't just lying there in the road?

A couple of years ago (right before Christmas) I hit a deer in North Andover, MA, and called the police, who put the poor thing out of it's misery. The whole thing was pretty traumatic for me and I couldn't get it out of my mind for several weeks. But even more so, I'd hate to think of an animal dying slowly by the roadside, or off in the woods, after being hit by a car.

If I were to hit a moose with my car, but it walked off, would it be worthwhile to call the authorities (NH Fish & Game, or the police) to see if they could track the poor thing down and put it down humanely? Would they even respond, if the animal wasn't just lying there in the road?

A couple of years ago (right before Christmas) I hit a deer in North Andover, MA, and called the police, who put the poor thing out of it's misery. The whole thing was pretty traumatic for me and I couldn't get it out of my mind for several weeks. But even more so, I'd hate to think of an animal dying slowly by the roadside, or off in the woods, after being hit by a car.

Bob - Yes, they would come out and put it down. The other good thing about calling the authorities is that (at least in the North Country of NH), depending on the impact of the accident, they also have a list of hunters/hunter types who will come out and dress the animal if it is a fresh hit. Many times they can't use the meat because of bone fragments if the animal was hit - but there are times that the meat is perfectly useable and will be donated to families in need. So, well worth the call.

Not to throw a shot Loggers BUT I take my dog for walks on Logging roads on are "off" hike days. I have seen areas of NUMEROUS moose skeltons piled in designated areas. I have photos but they are not pleasant (the smell in those graves are what brought me to discover them in first place).

Another credit to "Mankind".

I guess I'm confused, so I got to ask because it kind of sounds like a shot at loggers. Did you think that groups of renegade loggers were stalking the back country attacking moose with their chainsaws and then stacking the carcasses and dancing naked around them in the moonlight? Kind of like loggers are the new Masons and this is part of their plan to take over the world? And if you did think they were up to their usual illegal moose chain sawing antics and other acts against nature, why didn't you report it?

Unless of course, you figured the Loggers have infiltrated all level of the government.

Just wondering? :D

Beautiful baby pics forestgnome. ;)

Keith

Years ago when I logged with my dad we bought state land stumpage on the Kanc just East of Lincoln Woods on the North side of the road. The first couple of days you are in a woodlot the wildlife disappears then deer, fox and everything else would come out to investigate. The roar of the skidder was pretty loud and the gawking deer always amused me!
Sorry for the thread drift Patrick, very nice and enlightening pictures!;)