Ice Axe help

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alistair

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting an ice axe for an upcoming winter hiking weekend. Does anyone have a recommendation?
Someone suggested the BD Raven or the Grivel Airtech

The BD Raven is a reasonable hiker's axe. There are certainly others.

The Raven is a lightweight axe, some function and strength have been given up to save weight. (The Raven Pro has cut some things down too much for my taste.)

Length: The length is a compromise over everything that you will use it for. There are 3 Schools:
* Step cutting: 100 cm or so for reach to cut steps. Obsolete.

* "Cane" length: long enough to touch the ground plus an inch or so. Logic: helps balance. (Poles work better for this purpose).

* Mountaineering length: 70 cm (plus or minus about 5 cm if you are particularly tall or short) is the traditional mounteering length. Logic: you don't need an axe on the level. You need it on steep snow, at which point it will reach the snow on the high side. The cane length axe is too long here. 70 cm is also a good length for self-arrest. A 70 cm axe has good balance for using the pick for a balance hold (set in ice or firm snow) or step cutting.

One other exception: a long axe can be useful for glacier crevasse probing. (But such an axe is too long for most anything else.)

I personally prefer 70cm--good for hiking, snow climbing, snow rope belays, self arrest, cutting an occasional step, and climbing up to about 60 deg ice. (Some of these functions require a technical axe--the Raven is not strong enough.)

You might take a look at the parallel thread, "I need an ice axe".

Doug

The Airtech is much like the Raven. Both are comparable hiking axes that will be fine for what you want.

I personally prefer the spike on the Airtech, I think it's easier to drive into snow.

Try both of them out, swing them, see which one feels better to you.
But if you're buying blindly then you'll be happy with either one you chose.

Hey Doug...

How tall are you? I only ask this because 70cm would be touching the ground for me on a level plain, but I am 5'6"...

GNR said:
How tall are you? I only ask this because 70cm would be touching the ground for me on a level plain, but I am 5'6"...
I am 5'8" and when I hold the axe hanging down by my side (assuming that I am wearing my hiking boots), the spike would be 2 -- 2.5 inches off the floor.

The choice of 70cm includes more than just using it as a balance aid. Swinging balance for setting the pick into ice/hard snow is a factor. (Like the difference between a well and poorly balanced hammer.) And how the length fits your body when in self-arrest position is also a factor--the spike should be beside your hip. If the axe is too short, the spike will be pointed at your gut, and if too long, it will stick out to the side and be prone to catching (and being pulled away from you) when self-arresting.

You might consider a 65cm axe. Go to a store and hold them, in both walking and self arrest positions.

Doug

Last edited: