IDing peaks?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

^MtnMike^

Reaction score
A different thread here made me wonder about this: how do you go about reliably identifying distant peaks from the summits/viewpoints on various mountains?

IDing the Presidentials is usually pretty easy, as is IDing other unique looking peaks, but what about all the other nondescript bumps?

I know that some people use a map to draw a line out from the summit in the direction they are looking but I've never had much luck doing this (so it seems, as I'm usually way off, maybe I'm doing it wrong). I often can't find any mountain along that line that matches the basic contours of what I'm looking at.

Any tips tricks for doing this? I have a lot of peaks I'd like to ID from old hiking photographs.

Thanks,
^MtnMike^

Last edited:
Check out Scudder's White Mountain Viewing Guide, it has sketches of the skyline from 43 peaks throughout NH (including lots of obscure ones). I think he also describes the process he used to check which peak was which.

edit for clarity: the 43 peaks are not obscure, but the sketches show lots of obscure mountains you can see from them.

Last edited:
[Brent E.] Scudder's White Mountain View Guide is a book of line drawings of the mountains that you see from specified peaks in the White Mountains and nearby. It gives the panoramas by compass points, N, NNE, etc. It is not inclusive, e.g., on a very clear day you can see Killington from Red Hill in Squam Lake but Scudder doesn't show it. And it's not always easy to use; sometimes the line drawing bears little resemblance to what you see on the horizon. But it's a start. Otherwise I use map, compass, and sightline.
From your pictures, you can also plot on GPS programs but I'll have to let others describe that as I haven't mastered it yet.

I print out 11x17 copies from TOPO scaled to cover a large area, when I stop I spend some time with the compass and determine the more distant points. I always mean to take a picture , note the bearing, where I am and figure it out in more detail later but I rarely do so.

I tend to visit one area in succession checking out various parts. After several visits I get a sense of it. Sometimes, my next trip will be to a distant point I had seen from up high, you get to know things this way. The above pastime helps...

For the ADKs anyway.....

This question's been asked on here a few times in the past. For me, it started playing the typical game with my kids on each summit called "name that summit". We'd cross check anything we were unsure of with a map and compass. we made many errors at first, but we played it religiously on every summit, and I'd say we got pretty good at it. Eventually, we'd even point out peaks we couldn't even see, but knew were there do to relative location. By the time, they reached the 46th peak, they were pretty darn good, ask anyone that's hiked with them.

Now, we still play, but have added the a few wrinkles, like naming ponds, stream cuts, slides, lesser peaks, etc. Sometimes on those long boring stretches between trips to the daks, I not ashamed to admit we play the home version.

For Example:

Santanoni View Peak ID and the (answers)

Sounds pretty simple, but it really works. :) Although sometimes it not as fun as others, like the time I had to ground my 11 y/o daughter for mis-identifying the "Pesky Basin" on Phelps; "Look princess, how many times do I have to tell you its the P-E-L-K-E-Y Basin, they'll be no water for you till we get back to the car", :D :D :D

added - As for IDing peaks from old photos you have. If the old map/protractor/compass trick doesn't work. Scan em - and post em on the internet (on webshots or something) then post links on here asking members to help out. It's been done before and I'm willing to bet you'll have CORRECT answers within minutes, digitally label, then study them.

Last edited:
I just go with the map and compass route. It's the easiest way I've found on the spot. Sometimes, I'll double check with photos and maps at home.

One thing I've found is that once I've climbed a peak, it's easier for me to identify it from a variety of places. For example, I drive by the Sandwich Range a lot on Route 25, and until I had climbed the peaks I always wondered what they were. (Not completely related, but I had to throw it in here.)

I recommend posting your pictures up here or adkforum if they are dax pictures, and people here will tell you what your mountains are for sure. It would be a fun game for us, I am sure.

-percious

I learned how to identify the Mountains by learning how the Ranges run. For example, if you see Gothics from a distance then U & L Wolf and Armstrong are right next to it.

trailbiscuit said:
I just go with the map and compass route. It's the easiest way I've found on the spot.
Exactly. Assuming you have at least some kind of a view, put your map down and orient it to the landscape - use your compass. Stand behind the map and look over your present position on the map to line up distant objects. No matter where around the perimeter of the map you stand, you should be able to raise an arm aligned over your position on the map and point to the actual feature, first on the map then into the real distance.

The key here, as is the critical idea when navigating anywhere, is to observe all around you. Don't just concenterate on that one mystery peak. Don't just concentrate on figuring out using the compass alone. Use features all around you to work things out - nature will tell you. Work up to it as a skill, start identifying ravines and ridges close by. Locate the dip where the terrain-hidden lake may be. See what features you can use to make natural pointers to lead you on to the next more distant feature. If something doesn't quite make sense, something prominent or not, resist the temptation to ignore it - figure it out so that it does make sense. Work this idea out from your present location to a number of features farther and farther out. Teach yourself to transform 2-D images into 3D and back again. Beware that distant features you think you should be able to see in fact get progressively harder to see hidden by close by objects. Practice.