In the Market for a New Water Bladder?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Rooney

Reaction score
My old 100 ounce Camelbak (now called the Omega) has seen better days, and I was about to replace it when I read an article about a new model about to be introduced called the Antidote. My complaints with the old one were that it was sometimes difficult to get the lid on/off (needed Channelocks sometimes) and that it sometimes leaked. Both of these problems are supposed to be solved with the new model, so I plan to wait until the new model is released.

Looks like the old accessories will work with the new model, like the mouthpiece with the on/off lever as well as the neoprene insulation sleeve.

Can't help myself. :D:eek:

Schw.%20Tonic%20Water%201.0L.jpg

Get the ones with the wide mouth. :) They rarely leak, lid twists off easy, very tough, are easy to fill if you drill a hole in an old cap for a tight fit for the pumps hose and cost effective (cheap).

Humm. Now I just got to think of a way to attach a hydration tube.

After I created this thread I did some more googling, and discovered that Camelbak makes gear for what I'll call "the macho market". This one looks like a good value, even with shipping, and it's currently available. About the only complaint I have with my old one is getting the cap on and off, and that doesn't appear to be a likely problem with this model.

I wonder why Camelbak doesn't make some of these other models available in the regular hiking retail outlets? If you poke around on the linked website you'll see that Camelbak also offers a 200oz model.

After I created this thread I did some more googling, and discovered that Camelbak makes gear for what I'll call "the macho market". This one looks like a good value, even with shipping, and it's currently available. About the only complaint I have with my old one is getting the cap on and off, and that doesn't appear to be a likely problem with this model.

I wonder why Camelbak doesn't make some of these other models available in the regular hiking retail outlets? If you poke around on the linked website you'll see that Camelbak also offers a 200oz model.

They're a big player in the military market. Might want to check eBay and see what's knocking around for sturdy gear. With things kinda, sorta winding down in Iraq and no big expansion in Afghanistan, I'm seeing signs of some limited surplus dumping by the DOD.

They're a big player in the military market. Might want to check eBay and see what's knocking around for sturdy gear. With things kinda, sorta winding down in Iraq and no big expansion in Afghanistan, I'm seeing signs of some limited surplus dumping by the DOD.

This looks like a good value for a 100oz model, particularly because it includes shipping and there's no tax. Will be curious about the "Water Beast" material it's made from. Not that the material has ever been an issue.

This looks like a good value for a 100oz model, particularly because it includes shipping and there's no tax. Will be curious about the "Water Beast" material it's made from. Not that the material has ever been an issue.

Is it just me, or does the hose on this seem really short. (no size jokes please;))

I've never been a big fan of the camelback or the nalgene bladders. I've always had problems with leaks and what not.

The platypus bladders, however, I swear by. Never had one fail on me in any way.

I also favor Platypus. I did have one stress crack in an early model, but by and large they are very tough. I wish they still made the ones with the "pleated" bottom that would stand up by themselves; easier to handle when filtering in the woods. But overall, Platypus is still the best IMO.

Last edited:
Is it just me, or does the hose on this seem really short. (no size jokes please;))

I think it's just the photo. The length of the hose is actually about an inch longer than my old one.

Some advantages - the cap is much more secure. Looks like the odds of it leaking into your pack are much less. It has a neoprene insulating sleeve which extends the full length of the tube, and it includes a bite value with an on/off value.

A possible disadvantage - rather than using slip connections, this model uses a type of "press to release" type of button at either end of the tube, so the type of fittings you can buy at EMS, REI won't work - will probably need to purchase from web retailer which caters to the police/military market. That's not a disadvantage for me as the only "option" I use is the on/off bite valve, and that's included. It also includes a type of endcap, so that the hose could be removed and the cap applied, making a better basic water container.

I've not had reliability issues with the Camelbak's. The one this new model replaces is at least 6 years old, and is used constantly. The flaw was the cap - when tightened so it wouldn't leak I'd need Channel Locks to get it open (no exaggeration) which meant it was nearly impossible to refill on the trail unless I carried pliers.

This one looks like a winner, and was cheaper than the "hiker" version. I'll not waste money on the upcoming Antidote unless this one doesn't hold up in use.

[I also favor Platypus. I did have one stress crack in an early model, but by and large they are very tough. I wish they still made the ones with the "pleated" bottom that would stand up by themselves; easier to handle when filtering in the woods. But overall, Platypus in still the best IMO./QUOTE]

I agree, my "pleated bottom" platypus bladder is still going strong (carried it over 3,000 miles now) and I'm not sure what I'd replace it with if I ever had to. (hope I didn't just jinx myself....but I'm amazed it's lasted this long!!) I still have these platypus fix it yourself "stickers" (to seal a hole/leak) that I've never had to use.

Ward'sgirl - I have a friend who had a "wine party" before a backpacking trip, just so she could empty the bladder!!!

Thanks Kevin... I needed this information as you did! If you read another post about Leki poles, they and a new bladder were points of issue on a recent hiking trip. Mine's prbly older than yours and I have a second one -- both servicing me fine.

Note the drier options... I've found that taking a wire coat hanger - sqeezing it together lenthwise and then putting a bend in it works fine for hanging my bladder while it dries out. Saves $10.00!

16mm thick??

Both of the linked websites tout the 16mm thick polyurethane material!! A back of the envelope calculation tells me that a 3 liter bladder that thick would weigh about 5 pounds empty, without the hose. Not a selling point for me.

Note the drier options... I've found that taking a wire coat hanger - sqeezing it together lenthwise and then putting a bend in it works fine for hanging my bladder while it dries out. Saves $10.00!

I hang mine from a clothes hanger (I drape the tube through and hang it upside down with the fill cap off) but I stick the bite valve in the middle which keeps it open just enough to let the air in. I've had zero problems for 15+ years on two bladders (one for MTB, one for hiking...) I only put water in it. You can also freeze it between uses.

Tim