iPhone hiking apps

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian...thanks for posting this. My IPhone 4 ( not 4S) are just getting acquainted.

Is anyone experienced with these and do you have any recommendations you can share with the novices?
Thanx :)

I have the AllTrails app and "Trailhead" app by North Face installed on my Iphone. However, I have not used either of them to track a full hike, as I never have perfect service throughout, and I'm always concerned about the battery.

You can save your tracks and upload them with pictures for others, and a few more features.

The built-in compass on the 4, proved to be pretty accurate for me when I matched it with my regular compass on the Black Pond Bushwhack bearing this summer. For a moment I thought I had got myself turned around in the woods, but I turned on my phone to check the compass, and it worked well without cell service.

I'm curious about what other good apps are out there, but I think, for me, a real GPS unit is something I will look into getting soon, especially for bagging trail-less peaks.

I have the AllTrails app and "Trailhead" app by North Face installed on my Iphone. However, I have not used either of them to track a full hike, as I never have perfect service throughout, and I'm always concerned about the battery.

You can save your tracks and upload them with pictures for others, and a few more features.

The built-in compass on the 4, proved to be pretty accurate for me when I matched it with my regular compass on the Black Pond Bushwhack bearing this summer. For a moment I thought I had got myself turned around in the woods, but I turned on my phone to check the compass, and it worked well without cell service.

I'm curious about what other good apps are out there, but I think, for me, a real GPS unit is something I will look into getting soon, especially for bagging trail-less peaks.

Here's one for the ADK 46: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id396878305

Maddy, grab any 12 year old and ask em to help you with your phone.

Thanks Paul. Kids are amazing!!!
I am getting quite good with my IPhone. I am so Apple oriented that it helped a lot getting acclimated.
It does lose battery power too fast for my liking. Would not want to depend too much on it for a hike. I want enough juice left to call SAR if I need them in a hurry! :D

+The ADK app looks very nice indeed.

I've had iHikeGPS for quite a while. The free topo downloads have been a boon when I didn't happen to have a map with me. Once you download them, they stay in the phone regardless of your data connection. It's been easy to transfer waypoints and tracks as GPX files.

Battery life is an issue with all the navigation apps, so watch out for that, especially if you might need the phone for emergency use at any point during the day. I wouldn't leave this app running for any length of time in the backcountry unless another phone were available.

Just got an iPhone a month ago and am already on my third one. For some reason I keep getting duds. First one wouldn't pick up wifi, second one had a screen that would blank out for no reason... that AND I couldn't call in or out. (Not much of a phone then, is it?) :mad: Both times had to make appointments at the Apple store... ended up spending upwards of 2 hours with the "geniuses" but they were nice and gave me new phones each time.

Current one seems to be working okay, but it's been only six days...

Hiking related: My husband downloaded the "Peaks" app and thinks it's really cool. :)