Iroquois,Cliff,Redfield 12/4-12/5

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

Unregistered

I drove to U.W. on Friday night...25mph/ once I turned up to dead end road to H.T., as it snowed. There were about 3 inches of snow on the ground in the morning. Enough to make it interesting for the weekend. Hiked to Lake Colden and then to Iroquois Peak in the morning. Snow made the route finding a bit tricky as there were no tracks to follow. There was a lot of ice under the snow and it slipped quite a bit even with traction spikes...no crampons needed though. Descent to Lake Colden has become easier in the sun as ice has softened some snow melted and the spikes were bitting enough to keep me stable all the way.
Hiked to Upphil L.T. in the afternoon and slept there overnight. Later at night a couple of Canadians checked in as they became late and lost on descent from Mt.Marcy.
Next morning, I hiked to Cliff Mt. and Mt.Redfield. The Cliff herdpath was broken by somebody doing it on Saturday, but the Redfield herdpath wasn't as I passed the cairn.
Nobody did it before I have returned back from Cliff Mt. and so I had to do it myself and enjoyed every bit of it. It looked like winter wonderland.... again, it was sunny all day and the views were perfect!
Checked out at U.W. without turning on my headlamp.