It's not a Direttissima, it's a Delicatessen 9/14-9/28/2024

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brobichaud

Reaction score
Delicatessen; a German loanword which first appeared in English in the late 19th century, the plural of Delikatesse. The German form was lent from the French délicatesse, which itself was lent from Italian delicatezza, from delicato, of which the root word is the Latin adjective delicatus, meaning "giving pleasure, delightful, pleasing".

First post in a long time, and it's a doozy.

Over the last ~15 years, I've walked widely through the White Mountains, learning their contours, and becoming a student of their history. In that time, it's been hard not to notice the pattern of usage, that peaks are what matter to the hiking population at large, while the valleys are just the means of egress to the higher ground. The Weeks Act of 1911, authorized purchase of forest lands in the East, not for the protection of peaks, but for the protection of watersheds, and the forests in them. In 2019, I figured why not pay tribute to that, and lashed together a route through the White Mountains, hitting all the major watersheds/drainages along the way. The added rub, was that the route could hit no peaks, and never cross or repeat itself, with the exception of "spurs" to views or campsites. My friend, Ron, could never remember the word Direttissima, when he was grumbling about hikers and their crazy projects, so he always referred to it as a Delicatessen. Thank you Ron, for giving this thing a proper name, because it lived up to its definition, and never failed to get a smile from people along the way.

In the 5 years since cooking up this hare-brained scheme, I finished red-lining/tracing/hiking the guidebook a second time, did a couple of small 150-300 mile thru-hikes, and hiked/ran myself into injury. Nearly two months without any significant effort, was about the worst prep for a thru-hike one can imagine. The originally planned route, involved some not insignificant bushwhacks, and more than a few ups and downs to get in and out of valleys. I threw that business out on the first day, and cobbled the rest of it together on the fly, still ending up at my intended destination.

What follows, is a CliffsNotes love letter to the White Mountains, which have given me a lifetimes worth of adventures, with more yet to come.

Day 1: Mill Brook Road to Sylvan campsite

20.8 miles, 3252' gain

Unknown Pond Trail, roadwalks (York Pond Road, FR 8010), bushwhack, Bog Dam Road, Pond of Safety Trail/snomo, Four Soldiers Path, Ledge Trail, Durand Road, Bee Line, Valley Way, Maple Walk, Sylvan Way

Out of work at 2:30am, to my friend Fawn's house by 4, who then dropped me at the northern Unknown Pond trailhead before 5:30. Phew! After a fashion, I started up the trail by headlamp, feeling pretty decent under a 6 day load. All quiet up to the pond, where I saw the first of many runners doing the Kilkenny Ridge Race. Down the other side, I began to consider the route ahead, not particularly wanting to be on the course. I ended up scrapping the bushwhack, and cutting through to Bog Dam Road, though that was a scrappy 0.7 in its own right... but I saw a lady moose in there, so I took that as a good omen for the trip. The "abandoned" Pond of Safety Trail was really great, though if it hadn't been so dry, I can see it getting pretty messy. Instead of stopping near noontime and finding a place to camp, I kept going, figuring I'd find something outside of Appalachia. Four Soldiers was lightly trodden and beautiful, and I soon ended up at Lookout Ledge for a break. Steeply down to Durand Lake, I crossed Route 2, visited Snyder Brook, and found a spot to hang my hammock and food for the night.

20241010_023950-COLLAGE.jpg

Day 2: Sylvan campsite to The Bluff

12.8 miles, 4717' gain

Sylvan Way, The Link, Caps Ridge Trail, The Cornice, Gulfside Trail, Sphinx Trail, Great Gulf Trail

Not a particularly early start, but the day was "short", so I figured it would be fine. I was wrong. For one, The Link isn't particularly backpacker friendly, especially between Castle and Caps. My own fitness came into play, and I was just plain slow. I found myself cursing whoever it was that put this thing together, considering what lay ahead. It was a beautiful day, especially above treeline, and I took advantage of my slowness, enjoying the grasses along The Cornice. Sphinx was a joy as well, though I'm not sure it did my right knee any favors descending it. Quite rough going on Great Gulf down to The Bluff, where I got set up, and enjoyed dinner on the boulder. Chatted with a guy named John, who was checking out the campsite near dusk, and was very interested in what I was doing. All quiet, but for the river down the slope.

20241010_024208-COLLAGE.jpg

Day 3: The Bluff to Moriah Brook campsite

21.6 miles, 3590' gain

Great Gulf Trail, Great Gulf Link, roadwalks (through Dolly Copp, Pinkham B, Rt. 16, side streets in Gorham, Rt. 2), Rattle River Trail, Carter-Moriah Trail, Moriah Brook Trail

Started getting into the rhythm, up in the dark, start in the dark, greet the day as light slowly creeps into the forest. One of my favorite times of day. Out to Dolly Copp around sunrise, then pounded 9 miles of pavement to Rattle River. It wasn't unenjoyable at all, and I was offered 5 rides (thanks Kimberly!), all of which I refused. Had some good reminiscences on the AT, and chatted with a thru-hiker named Gravy, who was just smashing ham and cheese into his face on one of the ledge outcrops. Dropped down my adopted Moriah Brook Trail, made it down to my favorite campsite, and settled in for the night. Completely forgot it was a full/near full moon, and awoke with a start to a bright light shining into the foot of my hammock. Fumbling for my glasses, thinking that this might be how I get abducted, I got a good laugh once I figured it out.

20241010_024509-COLLAGE.jpg

Day 4: Moriah Brook campsite to Miles Brook campsite

18.8 miles, 2845' gain

Moriah Brook Trail, Highwater Trail, bushwhack, Wild River Trail, Wild River Road, Burnt Mill Brook Trail, Royce Trail, Royce Connector, East Royce Trail, Route 113, Haystack Notch Trail, Miles Notch Trail

The quietest day of the trip, and I'd expect nothing less of this area. Pre-dawn cruising down Moriah Brook, where I decided against the "trail" route at the bottom, and whacked down to the river, finding a dry crossing. Intercepted an old skid road on the other side, and followed it into the logging camp clearing on Wild River Trail. Made quick work of the road, and climbed stiffly up Burnt Mill Brook, enjoying the glades at the top, and in the col between the Royces. Ran into the only people of the day on their way up East Royce, and headed down 113 to the infamous Haystack Notch Trail. Of all the times I've done this trail, never once have I known I was on trail the entire time, until now. It's a favorite anyway, but the trail is in great shape, and has seen a lot of recent maintenance. Still has disintegrated bog bridging in spots, but you can actually stay on it! Walked up toward Miles Notch, and found a spot near a confluence of some branches of Miles Brook.

20241010_024625-COLLAGE.jpg

Day 5: Miles Brook campsite to East Branch Saco Dam

25.8 miles, 3825' gain

Miles Notch Trail, roadwalks (Hut Road, Adams Road, Deer Hill Road), Shell Pond Trail, Shell Pond Road, Leach Link Trail, Deer Hills Trail, roadwalks (Route 113, Barnes Road), Bradley Brook Trail/snomo, Slippery Brook Trail, roadwalks (Slippery Brook Road, East Branch Road)

Lots more roads, but they were scenic, low traffic, and not all paved. Miles Notch was calm and dim in the dawn hour, and was a pleasant start to the day. Right knee issues persisted on the roads, it had become swollen, noticeably so, and would continue to be until the conclusion of the trip. I'd hoped to take a swim and soak it, at the dam on the Cold River... but I was foiled, as there was next to no water behind it. While taking a break at the Baldface trailhead, a guy told me I looked tired. No s%#t buddy. Was nice to get off the pavement, even if I traded it for dirt. Bradley Brook corridor was a great way to cut through to the East Branch country, and wasn't too overgrown. Crossed my fingers hard, hoping the roadside campsite I wanted was going to be unoccupied, and I was rewarded! Set up at the dam, right in the corridor of the former East Branch Railroad (and abandoned section of East Branch Trail). I was able to soak my insolent knee, and had another quiet night, only one car passing by to the next site.

20241010_024839-COLLAGE.jpg

Day 6: East Branch Saco Dam to Hermit Lake

18.8 miles, 4866' gain

East Branch Road, Bald Land Trail, roadwalks (Black Mountain Road, Dundee Road, Moody Farm Road, Carter Notch Road), Halls Ledge Trail, Route 16, Tuckerman Ravine Trail

It was a beautiful morning on the side roads of Jackson, as I made my way towards further weight on my back. About a week before my trip, I dropped a box off at Pinkham Notch, with a full 10 days of food in it, and I hadn't even figured out whether or not it was all going to fit! Plus, it was my only resupply package of the outing. The walk up to Pinkham on 16 wasn't that fun, but the views were good, and the traffic fairly light. Thankfully, I'd packed an extra food bag, so when I retrieved my package, I was able to split things up to where everything fit, barely. I threw the pack up on the scale, and it tipped over somewhere between 46 and 47 pounds. Ouch. Much to my surprise, it didn't carry badly, and I ground my way up to Hermit Lake with minimal complaint. As I settled in, there was a change in the weather happening, and I'd be out in it the next day.

20241010_025022-COLLAGE.jpg

Continued...

Day 7: Hermit Lake to Norcross Pond

19.3 miles, 5416' gain

Tuckerman Ravine Trail, Lawn Cut-off, Davis Path, Route 302, Notchland Inn trails, Nancy Pond Trail

The morning dawned gray and foggy in the bowl, and I climbed by headlamp for a bit, then was enveloped in the mist on the headwall, real eerie. Wind blasted drizzle above treeline was the exact opposite of fun, and I was happy to get into the trees. Just after I did, I saw a big dude moose, traipsing off through the trees, with nearly no sound. Rolling along Davis Path, the weather improved, with some peeks of blue sky here and there. Didn't see a soul until I was a mile or so from Route 302. After getting permission from the folks at the Notchland Inn to use their trail system, I cut through to Nancy Pond Trail, and started looking for a campsite. Seeing absolutely nothing workable, I kept climbing, and ended up at the pond, which is what I really wanted anyway. Totally worth it for the sunset colors alone, but really set me up for an easy walk the following day.

20241010_025148-COLLAGE.jpg

Day 8: Norcross Pond to Profile Deluxe

20.6 miles, 775' gain

Nancy Pond Trail, Carrigain Notch Trail, Shoal Pond Trail, Ethan Pond Trail, Zealand Trail, Zealand Road, Route 302, Route 3

Not much in the way of sunrise color, but it was a beautiful start to the day, on arguably the single best stretch of wilderness trail in the Whites. Super cruise all the way to Stillwater, with its nearly always mandatory wet footed crossing, and I started my way up Shoal Pond. If you pick your time and spots, Shoal Pond is one of the nicest, and most remote feeling trails around. In the zone, I was startled to run into Jess south of Shoal Pond proper, figures if we were to run into each other anywhere, it would be here! Really good to see her, been a while. Passed by countless groups on Zealand, and had a pleasant afternoon walk on the roads, right to the motel I'd booked a couple of days before. Because I figured, if I'm going to treat it like a thru-hike, I'm going to spend a night off trail. A shower, and shower laundry, really lifted the spirits.

20241010_025352-COLLAGE.jpg

Day 9: Profile Deluxe to Franconia Brook East

17.5 miles, 2606' gain

Route 3, Beaver Loop XC Trail, Gale River Road, Gale River Trail, Garfield Ridge Trail, Frost Trail, Twin Brook Trail, Franconia Brook Trail, bushwhack, Pemi East Side Trail

Got a late start, after 9am (gasp), but made quick work of the initial road stretch, and got to enjoy the softness of the Beaver Loop to get over to Gale River. After a break at the bottom, I got climbing. Lots of good chats with folks along the way, broke up the climb pretty well, and the hut soon appeared. Ginger cake, and a break in the sun, did wonders. Twin Brook Trail seems to have gotten a bit rougher, at least since my last memory of it, but it's still a great way to get down into western lobe of the Pemi. Franconia Brook cruising is always a joy, and I met a young couple (Sam and Lenore) out for a semi-Pemi, the dude of the pair was having knee issues too. Parted ways with them at the bridge over the Franconia Branch, then proceeded to ford the East Branch, and got set up for the night at Franconia Brook East. Real quiet, no one around, not even a caretaker.

20241010_025501-COLLAGE.jpg

Day 10: Franconia Brook East to Oliverian Brook campsite

22.9 miles, 3001' gain

Pemi East Side Trail, Cedar Brook Trail, Hancock Notch Trail, Sawyer River snomo, Sawyer Pond Trail, Route 112, Oliverian Brook Trail

First real cold night of the trip, pushing the limits of the gear I brought, which was to be expected. Great morning colors along the East Branch, gave way to a fairly gray day, but one that was enjoyable for cruising through these wild areas. Cedar Brook Notch and Hancock Notch are always highlights, super remote feeling. Finally felt like I had "trail legs", the climbs feeling easier, and the descents more sure. Only saw a handful of people in the usual spots, and had a good long chat with Tom Logan at Sawyer Pond Shelter. Ended up picking probably the least desirable campsite on Oliverian Brook Trail, but it served me well for the night.

20241010_025726-COLLAGE.jpg

Day 11: Oliverian Brook campsite to Black Mountain Pond

17.6 miles, 2705' gain

Oliverian Brook Trail, Kelley Trail, Ferncroft Road, Blueberry Ledge Trail, McCrillis Path, Whiteface Intervale Road, Bennett Street, Bennett Street Trail, Flat Mountain Pond Trail, Guinea Pond Trail, Black Mountain Pond Trail

Slept in a bit, as it was another cold night, and got on trail around sunrise. Excellent morning grades got me over to Ferncroft, and more soft walking on McCrillis Path, had me strolling through Whiteface Intervale in what felt like no time. Beebe River country always has a great feel to it, and the walking on Guinea Pond Trail was excellent, even if it took a poke or two to stay on trail in the usual spot. Surprised to see two folks on Black Mountain Pond Trail, and chatted with a guy named Bob at the campsite for a bit. Wandered around the shore of the pond, as far as I could/felt like, and settled in a for a comfortable night. I was woken a few times by a lady moose calling off in the Beebe River headwaters, just below my site. It's little things like this, that make the trip.

20241010_065819-COLLAGE.jpg

Day 12: Black Mountain Pond to Thornton Gore Road campsite

18.3 miles, 2916' gain

Black Mountain Pond Trail, Algonquin Trail, Sandwich Mountain Trail, Drakes Brook Trail, Route 49, Village Trail, Mad River Path, West Branch Road, Tripoli Road, Thornton Gore Road

I'd crossed my fingers for a decent sunrise from the ledges above the pond, but it ended up being a fizzle. The views were still good, so no matter. Ridgewalking along Algonquin was very pleasant, mist blowing in and out, and I quickly made the junction below Sandwich Dome, beginning my descent into Waterville Valley. After some road walking, I finally got a chance to check out Mad River Path, which I really enjoyed, particularly the stepping stones in the river. Not unenjoyable walking up over Tripoli Road as it started to rain off and on, and I found myself a site to set up at, just before a long stretch ahead of no camping. Really battened down the hatches for the night, knowing what was coming, the inevitable rains.

20241010_065957-COLLAGE.jpg

Continued...

Day 13: Thornton Gore Road campsite to Jeffers Brook Shelter

30.2 miles, 2883' gain

Thornton Gore Road, Route 175, Cross Road, Route 3, Mirror Lake Road, Hubbard Brook Road, Hubbard Brook Trail, Route 118, Old Glencliff Road, ATV/snomo trail, Route 25, High Street, Long Pond Road, Town Line Trail

Thankful for the tree cover my campsite provided, the rain didn't keep me awake as much as it might have otherwise, but did it ever rain. I stayed warm and dry all night, so no complaints there. Packing up under tarp cover, I pulled it last, and got walking under umbrella cover for the next 10 hours. It was a good hypothermia inducing temperature to boot, but I stayed moving, and stayed dry enough, that it wasn't so bad. Really enjoyed walking through the Hubbard Brook valley, though the remaining section of the trail was a wet mess, and of course this was the day I was doing it on. Ran into Charlie and Nancy Foote at the bridge on Breezy Point Road, out checking how much the Baker River had come up. They directed me on to the Old Glencliff Road, which they said was a shortcut, versus going over Hurricane Trail, as I planned. What they didn't tell me, was that I needed to stay right at a certain turn... so I ended up at the dam, at 118 and 25. They saw me again on 25, felt bad for leading me astray, and said "we'll be right back", soon appearing with a bag of cookies and donuts. They're the absolute best! Made my way mercifully to Jeffers Brook, not long before it stopped raining, and found the shelter occupied by a dude named Chris, out for a section hike. He was as surprised to see me, as I was him. Was able to hang my hammock in the shelter, and had a nice dry night.

20241010_070207-COLLAGE.jpg

Day 14: Jeffers Brook Shelter to Gordon Pond

17.5 miles, 3292' gain

Town Line Trail, Long Pond Road, Tunnel Brook Trail, FR 170, Tunnel Brook Road, Route 112, Kinsman Ridge Trail, Gordon Pond Trail

Started later than normal, chatting with Chris as we both packed up. He was headed up over Moosilauke, and thought we might see each other somewhere on the other side. Tunnel Brook up to the first pond was lovely in the misty morning light, then alternated between car wash like overgrowth, and beautiful sections alongside the string of ponds in notch. Having heard horror stories of the old road section below Benton Trail, I opted for the forest road on the east side of Tunnel Brook. This was the right choice, and very pleasant walking. Popped out on Tunnel Brook Road, passing through the remains of the Wildwood CCC camp, and up 112 to Kinsman Notch. Should have popped the blister that developed due to the prior days walk, probably would have made things way less painful. Tried to arrange extraction the next day, and Mike was able to come through, when other options didn't materialize. Posted up at Gordon Pond, where beavers have raised the water level, and made it so I climbed back to the AT to get water. Thankfully, I got there early enough to dry everything out, and had a peaceful last night on trail.

20241010_070431-COLLAGE.jpg

Day 15: Gordon Pond to Skookumchuck trailhead

20.6 miles, 2970' gain

Gordon Pond Trail, Kinsman Ridge Trail, Reel Brook Trail, Route 116, Paine Road, Coppermine Trail, logging roads/XC trails, Wells Road, Route 18, Route 141, Notch-Way XC Trail, Franconia Notch Recreation Path

The final day dawned, with mist rising from the pond, and I set out for my arbitrary finishing line. Really got beat up going around the bumps of Mount Wolf, and was relieved to finally descend Reel Brook. Ran into a HUGE group coming out from a site somewhere off the trail, not sure where, but 20+ people slept there. Saw Danielle, Ann, and Wayne on their way up, with Ann finishing off her Grid on the Kinsmans (congratulations!). Walked Paine Road instead of 116 all the way, and found it quite nice, and dirt in the middle part. Wasn't quite sure how I was going to hook things together, but got up to the Bette Davis plaque on Coppermine Brook, and utilized the map John had sent me. Was able to cobble together a way through to Wells Road, using some local footpaths, logging roads, and XC trails, really pretty out there. Slogged up 141, and soon ended up on the bike path, towards Skookumchuck. Mike ended up going up the trail a ways, thinking was coming down it, silly Mike. Got to the trailhead a few minutes ahead of him, and called it. Delicatessen, finished.

20241010_070604-COLLAGE.jpg

Totals:

303.1 miles
49661' gain
20.2 miles, 3311' gain average per day

My hope in posting this, is that it stirs a desire for exploration. That you don't have to do something, simply because it's been done that way by others. Make something up, and go do it. Do it for yourself, and I promise, the rewards are immeasurable.

Last edited:
What an incredible hike! Inspiring, yet humbling as I could never dream of doing the distances and elevation gains you did. Thank you for the very enjoyable report.

As a fan of making up long routes by putting trails together this was really impressive. As I read each day I was wondering where you'd go next. Thanks for sharing this!