James Kim and a hell of a fight

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blownaway said:
The question that I keep asking myself is....Wouldn't it have made sense to scout the nearby areas in the first few days?

Something like:

Day 1. Wait for help in car with family.

Day 2. Hike north a mile or so, then return to car. Rest/warm up, then go south a mile or so, return to car.

Day 3. Repeat, doing an east and west hike.

He put all his eggs in one basket by heading in one direction after waiting several days.

To answer my own question. He figured he only had a 4 mile walk to the next town according to his map ....why risk continuing on in a different direction with no signs of civilization for quite a few miles.

Sounds like he walked in a big circle, however many miles, 10 or 16, which is pretty easy to do without a compass, in fact is typical of human navigation tendencies without way points, the Sun, stars, etc. Even holding a bearing with a compass is not always so easy.

blownaway said:
The question that I keep asking myself is....Wouldn't it have made sense to scout the nearby areas in the first few days?

Something like:

Day 1. Wait for help in car with family.

Day 2. Hike north a mile or so, then return to car. Rest/warm up, then go south a mile or so, return to car.

Day 3. Repeat, doing an east and west hike.

He put all his eggs in one basket by heading in one direction after waiting several days.
Might make sense, but don't forget that all of this expends energy and probably would reduce one's survival time. And if he didn't have proper gear, he could get his insulation wet.

All of these strategies are judgment calls, none is guaranteed to save you, none is guaranteed to prevent your survival. And, unless you see search aircraft, you don't even know if anyone is searching for you. All you can do is play the probabilities. Training may teach you which strategies are most likely to result in your survival, but there are no guarantees whichever you choose.

Doug

CaptCaper said:
Ten miles isn't far for a young guy to go is it?

jessbee said:
Sure, 10 miles is no biggie, when you're prepared for it, you know where you're going, and aren't under extreme physical and emotional stress

10 or 16 miles may not be a lot for those of us who hike regularly; however, I've worked with people - some of whom are "young guys" - to whom a 1/4 mile is a BIG deal - who take the elevator for one flight of stairs - who have never walked more than one mile all at once. Check out the fitness level of the average population - it isn't good.

SAR-EMT40 said:
There is always the tendency to ignore the danger ahead and disregard what you know was behind you.

The people I refer to above would have absolutely no clue about the risks or dangers they would face in such a situation. I don't think we can assume that because something seems "common sense" to us (pre-scouting, logic of hiking out, risk of hypothermia, how to read a map for data other than streets, etc) in such a situation, that it did to Mr. Kim.

Dr. Dasypodidae said:
Sounds like he walked in a big circle, however many miles, 10 or 16, which is pretty easy to do without a compass, in fact is typical of human navigation tendencies without way points, the Sun, stars, etc.

No he did not. He did have some kind of plan. From what I saw of his trail. He went down the road away from where they drove in from for several miles. If he did this as part of a plan or got confused and went the wrong way I don't know. He then, for whatever reason, left the road and started down a drainage. His body was found face up in the drainage about a half mile from the river. This is from the latest reports I have read and seen traced.

Clothing was found in the drainage that was giving hope to the rescuers that he was leaving a trail for them. This was "extra clothing" so it is not clear if this was a concious decision on Kims part or paradoxical undressing from hypothermia.

It is also not clear if he was following the "old adage" of following drainages down to rivers to get to civilization which is not an unusual survival strategy.

Again, I still am waiting to read more about this as they find more out.

Kim's path

Keith

Last edited: