Jefferson via Castle Ravine - 7/31/05

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Metsky

Reaction score
This was an AMC Boston Chapter hike lead by Bob Kittredge, I was a co-leader. We (well, most of us) met at the Caps Ridge lot at 8:00 after an early morning start from Boston. We left two cars there and drove around to Bowman, where the remaining participants (who should have read their instructions mail) were waiting. We were on the trail by 8:45.

The bottom part was an easy grade with a few relatively easy stream crossings. Clearly, the Castle Ravine trail doesn't get too much use or trail maintainence, but there was no problem finding our way. There were more, slightly more difficult stream crossings as we climbed higher. At one point we were walking on top of rocks with the unseen stream below us, loudly rushing through the rocks and cooling the air at least 15 degrees.

Once you hit the bottom of the headwall it's pretty straightforward scrambling. The trail was pretty easy to follow. We stopped for lunch around noon, 2/3 of the way up the headwall. The approach into Edmands Col was lush and green, a wonderful area. Then came the steep climb to Jefferson, the sun was mostly out though many of the summits were in cloud. We never did see the summit of Washington that day.

All that was left was the 2300' descent down Caps Ridge, which is nicer than a 4100' descent to Bowman. :) We took our time on the way down, resting at the junction with the Cornice trail and again at Whirlpool Ledge. With slightly sore knees we arrived at the cars around 4:30, then drove back to Bowman for the car exchange.

A great hike up a trail that few of us had been up before. It really is a nice route, though long. The views of and in Castle Ravine are well worth the effort.

Photos to follow.

-dave-

Nice, wish I as there!
That loop is on my "to do" list for the NH Top 10 most difficult and challenging trails.

Jeff

I've done the Cornice and that was pretty rough. Everyone says the Link is worse, so I'm leary of trying it. Castle Ravine was much nicer than I'd imagined, a great hike. I especially loved the cool lush sections deep in the heart of the ravine where we walked over the submerged streambed, and the part just as you enter Edmands Col.

-dave-

In contrast to the often-mentioned difficulties of the northern portion of the Cornice, the southern segment from the Caps Ridge Trail to the Gulfside Trail at Monticello Lawn is quite different under foot. Combining this section with either leg of Jefferson Loop and Gulfside can make a slightly longer but more scenic and interesting return to Caps Ridge than simply retracing one’s steps down the summit cone.

A timely post and great pictures Dave!

I'm heading up to the Northerns next week for a few days and was considering Castle Ravine and the Castle trail as well as Israel Ridge.

Down the ridge probably, but the up trail will be a tuff decision now. Just something about the lesser used trails that makes em special.

KenC

Dave, were you able to tell if there were any potential camping spots in the ravine? I've been wanting to hike in to somewhere near the headwall and camp for a couple of days. From your pics, it looked like it might be pretty thick in there, I don't know if you could tell what it might be like a couple of hundred feet off the trail or not. Thanks.....

There are a few obvious sites off the trail, one just past the "Worst Weather" sign. Finding water won't be a problem.

-dave-

Great Trip Report and Pictures. I particularly liked the ones, of Edmond's Col and the one titled "Looking Back" (the next consecutive picture). I love pictures that have a trail sign parlayed with good views!

-Dr. Wu

Brownie said:
That loop is on my "to do" list for the NH Top 10 most difficult and challenging trails.
I don't think either would qualify. For 10 tougher trails just in the Presidentials try Great Gulf, Six Husbands, Madison Gulf, Great Gully, King Ravine, Israel Ridge, Huntington Ravine, Castle, Howker, and Tuckerman Ravine.

Great mountain pix, Dave, but the prize winner is Bob K. proudly sporting VFTT shirt!