Sierras Worst Nightmare!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was insane up there, especially on Saturday. And not just crowds - the winds up high were very strong (60-80MPH) and it was cold. The lady that got hurt on Franconia Ridge must have been frozen having waited on the ridge for hours to be rescued.

I actually planned to traverse from Lincoln Woods to Skookumchuck, but after getting blown over 2x just on the short exposed section of Flume, I decided to bail out down Falling Waters. I was shocked when I got to Little Haystack and saw multiple dozens of hikers out on the ridge. (I still bailed out.)

It was insane up there, especially on Saturday. And not just crowds - the winds up high were very strong (60-80MPH) and it was cold. The lady that got hurt on Franconia Ridge must have been frozen having waited on the ridge for hours to be rescued.

I actually planned to traverse from Lincoln Woods to Skookumchuck, but after getting blown over 2x just on the short exposed section of Flume, I decided to bail out down Falling Waters. I was shocked when I got to Little Haystack and saw multiple dozens of hikers out on the ridge. (I still bailed out.)
A few years ago I did the Ridge (up Falling Waters, down Greenleaf) purposely on a crappy early March day (temps 20's to low 30's, 20-30 mph sustained winds with higher gusts, and rain/sleet/fog) to test my gear and general preparedness for such things should I ever find myself in that scenario unexpectedly. I saw a minimum of 50 people that day including a new Winter hiker who kind of latched on to me on the way up that I finally convinced at tree line that he was in over his head and should turn around. I don't think there is ever a time now, no matter what the weather is doing, that you won't find people on the Ridge and most won't be properly equipped for the situation.

I came up thru the notch yesterday afternoon with wet snow rain etc. and artist bluff had still alot of people. Blessed to be living here.

Report of the rescue on Franconia Ridge last Saturday that I mentioned above.

This one says that she was transported by personal vehicle for medical attention after being carried the entire way. The thing I read on Monday said she drove herself, and I was wondering how somebody that needed to be carried 4 miles down a mountain could possibly drive themselves anywhere...

https://www.masslive.com/news/2024/...scued-while-hiking-franconia-ridge-in-nh.html

According to the link above "Meier was taken “from the trailhead by [a] personal vehicle for evaluation of her injury,” so it could have been a friend or family member who did the driving.

I was wondering how somebody that needed to be carried 4 miles down a mountain could possibly drive themselves anywhere...

Could be a simple matter of endurance.

Walking 4 miles downhill on a trail is a different ball of wax than driving in a seated position and then walking 100 feet or so across a paved parking lot to the ER entrance. I can easily see how a person could be capable of doing the latter, but not the former.

TomK

According to the link above "Meier was taken “from the trailhead by [a] personal vehicle for evaluation of her injury,” so it could have been a friend or family member who did the driving.
Yes, I know. I said that the report I read on Monday said she drove herself.

I drove about 4.5 hours to see my dying father-in-law after being sledded down the mountain with a blown right knee. It would have been extremely difficult, at best, to hike down a trail, but hobbling on a flat surface was manageable. (I skied Airplane Gully two days before my ACL reconstruction several months later.)

ok, fair enough. For some reason the picture in my mind of waiting for hours up on the ridge in 60-80 MPH winds to be carried down until the wee hours of the morning only to then hop in the car and drive away (which may not have even happened, I understand that) struck me as amazing.

I'm headed out in the morning for a 2 day pemi loop, so hopefully I don't catch any bad karma for thinking ill of somebody unfairly. :)

Reactions: TEO