June 10,11 (Fri., Sat.) Greenville, ME

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan

Reaction score
Heading to Greenville after some early morning business in Augusta Fri. June 10 and hope to spend the afternoon at Borestone Mountain . Dinner at Spring Creek BBQ Emporium you can't miss it on the main drag in Monson.

Then on Saturday I'm planning to explore East Chairback Pond, maybe a loop via the AT, Katahdin Ironworks Road and logging roads.

When I did the Chairback-Barren range in the Hundred Mile Wilderness a couple in my party did the loop over Chairback and Columbus Mountains and descended from the col at West Chairback Pond west via old lumber roads back to KI Road. They said the old roads were loaded with blueberries and was a delight to complete that circular. So they hiked the AT with us for a good ways and then completed the loop. Also, in 2003 there was a canoe in the woods at the East Chairback Pond shore which was in good shape. That is a very nice hike indeed.

Where there aren't blueberries there are often blackberries ... yummm ... a little early just now but what about wild strawberries ... at least they might make for some potential bear spotting? Everything is at least a couple weeks late here in Flatlandia, probably a little late up there, too.

Strawberry plants on the logging roads near Mt Abraham last wkend were still in full flower, even my wild strawberries at home are still in flower & probably won't be in fruit until later this month.

Juneberries might be in fruit...

that's a good area to find moose though.

Borestone is a nice hike.

I think it was the first hike I did where there was a building along the way (imagine my surprise when reaching HoJos in NH, LOL)
I seem to remember a fee to hike? (another first) do they still do that?
I'll have to check the link...

Anyway, the nature center had this really cool scat poster, I always wanted to make one like it.

Enjoy!

twigeater said:
... the nature center had this really cool scat poster, I always wanted to make one like it.

What, the scat or the poster? :D

Stan said:
Borestone Mountain. Dinner at Spring Creek BBQ Emporium

I've sped past the gated road to Borestone while getting an AT shuttle from old Keith Shaw, never knew exactly what it was until your link- thanks for that. And the Barbeque place in Monson is excellent, especially after sevral days of hiking. Sounds great, have fun!

Teej < stuck in Old Orchard this weekend