Kayaking San Juan Islands...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinooktrail

Reaction score
Ok, this isn't a 'backcountry' question, but didn't there used to be a kayaking space on VFTT?

I am just curious if anyone has been kayak camping out and around the San Juan Islands, and what their thoughts were.

I really want to plan a trip out there, and am just begining to gather up some information.

Mods, sorry if this is the wrong place/topic, but I know there are a lot of kayakers on the board! ;)

Book recomendations, guide/rental recomendations, best time of year etc...

I was thinking in early September.

Thanks!

:)

Sherpa and I were considering it after Rainier but it was just a too long drive for a daypaddle after our climb. We were in Tacoma and Bellingham was the launch. I do know somebody who lives around there on another forum, could pass on questions to him if not answered here...

The paddling forum is still around (I hope), you don't see it by default, you have to go into your user panel and look under group memberships I think...

Jay

Most folks use the Washington State Ferries from Anacortes to get to the islands. There are also alternatives like commercial ferries from Port Angeles and Port Townsend, water taxis, etc., as well.

Post-Labor Day there will be fewer tourists and somewhat reduced schedules for transportation and other services. The resident orcas will be present to the end of September.

I went kayaking there once out to Cypress island which is a popular island since it has no real development, a bunch of hiking trails, and awesome views. Pics from that trip here.

We left out of Anacortes (home of Greenland kayak legend Dubside) and stopped at Anacortes Kayak Tours to ask the guys there some questions and get some tide info/suggestions. To get the most out of it I think I would suggest going with a guide. Not only will they know the best spots to go but the ins/outs of the currents around the San Juans, which can be deadly strong.

For time I would plan it within Summer as much as possibleI think usually June-September are the best times. July and August you probably have the best chance for good weather. I think earlier in the Summer (june) is when you have the better chance of seeing Orca whales.

My thoughts on kayaking and camping in the San Juans? It was awesome and I want to do more of it! ;)

My wife and I found the San Juans (particularly Orcas) to be, well, paradise, a few Mays ago. Not that Hawaii isn't, but, well, they're dang close. Though we have a fair bit of experience kayaking, our lack of familiarity with the area and the reputed currents swayed us to kayak with a guide, though I really found the currents no problem as long as you are reasonably strong and have a spray skirt and a rudder. (though maybe if we didn't have a guide we might have had a problem? who knows). Go before Memorial Day or after Labor Day and you may just have the place and a guide to yourselves, as we did!

We kayaked all over the place and saw a TON of wildlife, which means we saw no orcas, since they weigh more than a ton, but lots of other critters. Amazing. We stayed in a rustic B&B 200 yards from the water rather than camping, as I was headed to Seattle afterward for a conference and we didn't want to schlep all the camping gear 3000+ miles.

The reason we picked Orcas was that there was some great hiking to be found on the island as well. The other islands are kind of flat.

Enjoy. I can't wait to go back.

Weatherman

Oh yeah, that reminds me of the Washington Water Trails Associations website - www.wwta.org, which has some good info and better info if you're a member :rolleyes:

Though we have a fair bit of experience kayaking, our lack of familiarity with the area and the reputed currents swayed us to kayak with a guide, though I really found the currents no problem as long as you are reasonably strong and have a spray skirt and a rudder.
I'll have to disagree. Currents between the islands regularly reach 2+ knots. Sure, you can muscle yourself against a slower current, but that is just going to tire you out very fast. Going paddling out there you should at least talk to someone who knows the area and have and understand the tide and current charts.
An example is my Cypress trip. We started a little later than ideal and ended up paddling hard against a flood tide for half of the Guemes channel. Sure we did it, but crawling and using a lot of energy. Once it was time to cross the Bellingham Channel the slack was way gone by now and the flood raging. We underestimated the speed and correction we should've given and now we were near the choke of the strait, which was pulling us sideways and North at 3+ knots. The speed with which the current was drifting us was eye-opening. We had to paddle hard to catch one of the big eddies that form on the SE side of the island before being shot past the campsite.
On the way back we were more diligent about leaving on time and had no issues and used very little energy by crossing the Bellingham Channel at the end of the ebb tide/slack tide and riding the flood tide up the Guemes channel to Anacortes.

It's not impossible to go unguided and with some research you can go there prepared, you just have to really respect the currents out there and plan your trip accordingly. But of course going guided/unguided is really up to the person's comfort level.

Last edited: