Keene NH EMS Store Closing

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Natick

Likewise, Natick Mass store is closing in mid Feb.

Can't take the competition of REI on the other side of Shoppers World?

Am I confusing the EMS in Lake Placid with the one in Keen as an ancient store from way back in the 60s? I bought my very first pair of snowshoes there , wood n leather BTW.

I hope EMS is not doing poorly in other stores. thier Hadly store is the only close by place for me to buy gear

Lou Hale said:
I hope EMS is not doing poorly in other stores. thier Hadly store is the only close by place for me to buy gear
How about Adventure Outfitters? I get a lot of really good gear there.

Sad but doesn't suprise me. I seldom bought anything in the Keene store and usally headed to the Peterbourgh store when I really wanted to. Most of my friends did the same. I hope this isn't the first signs of EMS dying.

paul ron said:
Am I confusing the EMS in Lake Placid with the one in Keen as an ancient store from way back in the 60s? I bought my very first pair of snowshoes there , wood n leather BTW.

The store in Keene NH that is closing in a small store in a strip mall that opened less than 10 years ago. I think that this is in line with their policy of closing smaller mall type locations.

Maddy said:
How about Adventure Outfitters? I get a lot of really good gear there.

I always for get about them. Usually the trip involves the wife wanting to go to panera and whole paycheck

Lou

Lou Hale said:

Their store in Cranston, RI looks like a ghost town ever since an REI opened up in the same town. Of course it also doesn't help that the REI is practically across the street.

I think EMS is turning off a lot of outdoor enthusiasts by catering to the UGGS & TNF Fleece crowd.

Since I started shopping at EMS they have changed logos 4 times, maybe they should spend that money and effort on expanding their product line (my local store only stocks 1 full grain leather hiking boot in wide sizes) instead of trying to constantly change their image to whatever is popular at the time. I'm not particularly fond of the new "text message" logo & title, "estrn mntn sprts" just looks silly.

bignslow said:
I think EMS is turning off a lot of outdoor enthusiasts by catering to the UGGS & TNF Fleece crowd.

Since I started shopping at EMS they have changed logos 4 times, maybe they should spend that money and effort on expanding their product line (my local store only stocks 1 full grain leather hiking boot in wide sizes) instead of trying to constantly change their image to whatever is popular at the time. I'm not particularly fond of the new "text message" logo & title, "estrn mntn sprts" just looks silly.

could not agree more. They have made the mistake of catering to fasion mall groups outside of thier nitch market. I use to to be a loyal coustomer. After a few times being told that they did not stock an item and that it is at another store, or to go online I switched to REI. I like to support local or regional businesses.

To think EMS will soon be a business case study for MBA students.

didn't they get bought about a year ago and promise to get back to their roots? I wonder if they are trying to rid themselves of what everyone is complaining about by closing some of the smaller stores that catered to the "fleece" crowd.

I've had some great EMS brand tech clothing over the years and hope they make it. Frankly, I see REI with just as much city wear as EMS every had.

All I know is I have a gift card for EMS and haven't found anything I want to use it on...yet :(

bignslow said:

Unfortunately it's always about money and UGGS and TNF Denali jackets sell. I bet Denali jackets are the #1 selling item in many stores... although I guess it depends on the location.

And to be blunt, the new logo and colors suck... way to kill all feeling of "outdoors" with a white and blue color scheme.

cbcbd said:
Unfortunately it's always about money and UGGS and TNF Denali jackets sell. I bet Denali jackets are the #1 selling item in many stores... although I guess it depends on the location.

And to be blunt, the new logo and colors suck... way to kill all feeling of "outdoors" with a white and blue color scheme.

I actually sent a "nastygram" email to EMS customer service a few months ago when they sent out an email for the sole purpose of proclaming "WE HAVE UGGS". My reply was: "Congratulations on being so proud of completely selling out". I told their customer service person that I have no problem with them stocking and selling to the street crowd, but 90% of the time, that extra rack of UGGS and Denali jackets pushes another rack of real outdoor gear out.

puck said:
could not agree more. They have made the mistake of catering to fasion mall groups outside of thier nitch market. I use to to be a loyal coustomer. After a few times being told that they did not stock an item and that it is at another store, or to go online I switched to REI. I like to support local or regional businesses.

Same here, I'll only shop at EMS if it is an emergency before a trip, or some sort of obscene discount that I can't refuse. Otherwise I take my business elsewhere. That being said, I'll definitely be the vulture circling the closing store in Keene waiting for it to go into deep discounts.

bikehikeskifish said:
Where?

Tim

My favorites are (in no particular order):

Online:
rei.com
amazon.com (mostly mgear stuff sold through them, but I have an amazon credit card that gets me rewards)
mgear.com
backcountry.com <- awesome site
steepandcheap.com (backcountry.com deal of the day type site)
sierratradingpost.com

B&M:
Gander Mountain (surprisingly good hiking/backpacking section)
Dicks & Sports Authority (so so selection, but sometimes I can find what I need)

Unfortunately I'm stuck in Syracuse, NY so my local outdoor retailers are limited to EMS (and the newly opened LL Bean outlet)

To add to bignslow's list:

~ Altrec.com
~ Gearengine.com
~ travelcountry.com (sometimes has great closeouts)
~ reioutlet.com (obviously)
~ overstock.com (limited outdoor gear, but sometimes great finds)
~ usoutdoorstore.com
~ everestgear.com

I highly prefer to support the local, NH-based retailers. EMS and LL Bean are so good about returns.

It's my understanding (dug????) that they are in the process of reorg'ing out of TNF sales to mall rats and into more of a gearhead place. That's why some of the smaller stores are closing.

Tim

brianW said:
Sad but doesn't suprise me. I seldom bought anything in the Keene store and usally headed to the Peterbourgh store when I really wanted to. Most of my friends did the same. I hope this isn't the first signs of EMS dying.
Same here, my first trip to Peterborough was around 2 1/2 years old. I didn't even know Keene had a store, and I've even made the drive from Sams in Keene to Peterborough just to kill a rainy Saturday.