Keene NH EMS Store Closing

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
spencer said:
didn't they get bought about a year ago and promise to get back to their roots? I wonder if they are trying to rid themselves of what everyone is complaining about by closing some of the smaller stores that catered to the "fleece" crowd.

See also my post ("From EMS in Burlington to close" thread):
smitty77 said:
I'm sure it's all part of the new ownerships' master plan for future growth. I ran into a guy driving an EMS-logo'd Escape at a local gas station (just off Rt.2) about a year ago and we got into a chat about EMS gear while pumping gas. I believe the guy worked in the marketing department and informed me of the purchase of EMS by a European firm. He told me gear heads like myself would be pleased with the new direction EMS would be heading, away from the fleece-y, yuppie, sit-by-the-fire-wear and more into technical gear designed for outdoor use. Shortly thereafter I noticed the website logo changed, they stopped carrying kids clothing, and they closed the Greendale store. The closing at Burlington looks like another step in the master plan, right behind the closing in Holyoke.

Thinking back, it may have been two years ago that I ran into this gentleman while pumping gas. He seemed to know what he was talking about, though I can't see how carrying UGGS factors into the new business plan. I do know I was bummed when I couldn't get my little ones any hiking or camping gear there anymore.

I'd be lost if they closed the Concord EMS. When I lived in Mass I was an REI guy all the way. Since I've moved north I've become an EMS fan, and of the Concord store in particular. Good people there. They have more frequent storewide sales and an greater availability of coupons than REI. EMS is cheaper more often.

Agree with Tim regarding supporting the locals, especially if my wallet doesnt take a hit. I find deals at Lahout's (the one in the stripmall near Elvios) in Lincoln all the time, too.

bob

How about Adventure Outfitters? I get a lot of really good gear there.

I really hate that store...the salespeople all have attitude and their prices are sky high...Although I have bought backcountry skis there on sale.

Last edited:
I was in the Manchester EMS (Mall of NH) and talked to the guys about the closings. They said they were slated to be "upgraded" to a free-standing store bigger than Portsmouth at which time the mall store would be closed. They are looking for an ideal location. This is what happened to the Nashua store many years ago.

So, I don't think they are going away as a company. I do think they are actually becoming better for the kinds of things frequenters of this board would go there to purchase.

Tim

I spoke to the manager of the Emerald Square Mall location in Attleboro when they were closing about their status vs REI, which was about to open near the Garden City EMS. The reply I got was that the corporate decision was to find locations in strip malls where they had direct access to the outdoors(I assume to make it easy to display the large stuff and for buyers to get that kayak out to their car). That being said, we all gave the Garden City EMS 6 months once REI opened, but they are still hanging in there.

EMS gear has gotten marginally better, but they still have a long way to go. both in lightweight gear with the EMS logo and in the selection of other brands they carry. So does REI for that matter.

I go to my local EMS a few times a year for their clearance sales and have gotten some great stuff. It is a mall store so they don't have much climbing, mountaineering, etc stuff, but I always find stuff to buy.

Example:
I went last night and they have light cushion smartwool socks on clearance for $9 a pair, and buy three get one free. I don't think you can beat roughly $27 for 4 pairs of smartwool socks.

also, if anybody is looking for a light fleece, they have their supermicro fleeces on sale for $14 right now (I think usually $55) and they are great for the price.

To sum it up, I frequent EMS more then REI. REI is great, but then I have to pay sales tax :( and they don't have as many sales. Also, I really hope EMS sticks with having a bunch of small mall stores all around as well (and not consolidate to larger stores). It would be a great to have a couple large stores too for the real outdoor gear, but the convenience of the small local stores is great for most stuff.

paul ron said:
Am I confusing the EMS in Lake Placid with the one in Keen as an ancient store from way back in the 60s? I bought my very first pair of snowshoes there , wood n leather BTW.
I think the "ancient" store you might be thinking about was the one in North Conway - large white building with columns. Not sure if that's still there anymore as I don't get over to that side too often*

*well, there was an ambulance trip there last year... :eek:

bubba said:
I think the "ancient" store you might be thinking about was the one in North Conway - large white building with columns. Not sure if that's still there anymore as I don't get over to that side too often*

*well, there was an ambulance trip there last year... :eek:

Still there, but moving quite soon to a strip mall down the road!

Peaks said:
Likewise, Natick Mass store is closing in mid Feb.

Can't take the competition of REI on the other side of Shoppers World?
I don't think it was the competition as much as a corporate strategy to consolidate into larger stores. Late last summer EMS opened a large store in Newton.

Downtown Natick has a good outdoor store, Natick Outdoor Store I think it's called. Somewhat like a miniature version of LLBean but in addition they carry athletic goods and equipment.

As long as we're listing favorites, I'd add Ragged Mountain in North Conway, Kittery Trading Post, Indian Hill Trading Post in Greenville, ME and Hilton Tent City near North Station in Boston.

The Framingham EMS went to 70% off lowest price today. They have the usual selection of size 14 footwear and small men's underwear but some good stuff remains. I got some goretex high gaiters and two hiking shirts for $20, $6 and $14 respectively. Plus you get a 20% off coupon on one full price item at the new Newton store.

The EMS store in Baltimore closed a few months ago (maybe a year ago). They had made a move from an inside-mall location to a large store in a northern suburb, and one of the sales clerks told me the move hadn't worked out. It was a great store, easy access, lots of parking. I bought a lot of stuff, some at 70+% off.

Fortunately there's an REI store just a mile or so away, and (less convenient to get to, but still available) a Hudson Trail Outfitters also within a radius of a few miles. Still, I was sorry to see the EMS close. There's still one in Annapolis, but with REI and HTO so convenient there's zero chance that I'll ever go there.

Back here in Western New York, both EMS stores seem to be doing fine. I shop there and am happy with the assortment of gear and apparel that they stock. One of the local EMS stores will be moving into a new and larger building this year. They're not the Mountaineer, but it's by far the best outdoor recreation store in this part of the state.

EMS Keene Closing

Any skis left at the Keene store? Thanks.