Ken Burns - Nat'l Parks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gris

Reaction score
OMG, this gonna be goooood (seen some of the previews - WOW). Can't wait.:D

Five YEARS in the making.

Last edited:
I've been looking forward to watching it too. And what a lucky guy! He gets to travel to all the National Parks and makes a good living at it. Not bad work if you can get it.

The National Parks are key destinations in our trip planning and while I would look forward to the program, I'm more eager to visit more of them. Any trip to a NP should include an examination of state, quasi-public and private destinations. e.g. Grandfather Mountain in North Carolina, Baxter Park in Maine etc. Enjoy ... then make time for them.

Do you happen to know when the air dates are, at least for your area, I presume this is probably nationwide so my PBS station would probably carry it at the same time...

Jay

Yeah, starting Sept 27, at the height of fall foliage season when I am likely to miss some of the episodes. Bummer.

But who cares about that. The DVDs and blue ray will be available October 6 2009. The book and CD soundtrack will be available September 8 2009. Can't wait to get my discs in the mail. Woo Hoo!

Last edited:
For a total picture, I highly recommend reading the new book by investigative historian Mark Dowie titled "Conservation Refugees: The Hundred-Year Conflict Between Global Conservation and Native Peoples." Much of the book focuses on situations in the (so-called) Third World, but it necessarily begins with Yosemite, which in so many ways embodies classical American conservation efforts, which then spread around the world.

This is a *very* provocative book. John Muir emerges as a somewhat difficult figure -- godfather of American conservation, founder of the Sierra Club, influential writer and naturalist, and a guy who wanted all the Indians out of Yosemite even though they had occupied that part of the Sierra Nevada for more than 2,500 years. He complained about the "uncleanliness" of the Ahwahneechee tribe that occupied the valley and called them "debased fellow human beings." And he's not the only conservation leader who may have feet of clay.

Dowie, by the way, is not some shrill writer with an agenda. He's thoughtful and thorough. Earlier in his career he wrote the article that forced Ford to recall the Pinto due to exploding gas tanks.

Last edited: