Kings Peak Utah

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giggy

Reaction score
heading out to Utah in late october (salt lake) for work and have about 3 days free - considering kings peak - I am sure someone here as climbed this and any helpful info would be great - it appears to be about 30 miles r/t - I would probably do this as a backpack over one night and as it looks now - solo. I have never been to Utah - but this appears to be a class 2 hike and I would assume navigation is pretty strighfoward - I am talking about the standard route - henry's fork I think it is called. I have seen the guidebook, etc.. - but curious about first hand accounts if possible. - easy to navigate, camping sites, etc.. weather in late october snowpack ice for crampons/ice axe, crowds, etc...

thanks

Last edited:
www.utahpictures.com
I have hiked in the Wasatch in June but not the Unitahs (spelling). The webmaster of this site will give you info if asked. Go to the peak list page and click on King's Peak. Mostly pictures but some good trail info and parking info also.
cc

Kings is a long walk, but doable as a long day. It's about 32 miles, but the grades are generally gentle, and you may share the trail with horsepackers for some distance. The Uintas are interesting, both geographically and demographically; expect different resource management than we have out here.

The typical camping areas are fairly highly impacted. The country is generally open, but water resources are largely limited to the common access routes and camping areas.

Note that anita linked to the Anderson Chute approach; the much more common route goes through Gunsight Pass. The chute is better when snowy. I would not expect a snowpack or ice in October, but frosts or rime could always occur. (I wouldn't bring technical climbing gear; it's a walkup.)

Kings is very popular in late summer, but once the "back to school" bug bites, numbers dies down. The Henry's Fork route is by far the most popular, but also logistically and technically the easiest. I wouldn't expect too many people in October, though you won't be alone.