Knifes Edge in Winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYBRAD

Reaction score
Could someone give me the skinny about access to Katahdin's Knife edge in winter. I've heard mixed information? This has been on my tick list for too long now. I've heard it's been a low snow year so far, so it could be great. I'm aware of some rules, as group size minimums.

Can I expect to get in without standing in line as in the summer?
What’s the parking situation?
I little approach trail information would be great as well.
Will the Rangers not allow you to do the edge in marginal conditions.

Not sure about Knife Edge in the winter, but to get access to Katahdin you have to apply over a year in advance (typically, call BSP to get more info) designating a group leader and the size of your group (there are minimums and maximums). When you actually get to go, you need to plan on at least 5-7 days for the climb. The road to roaring brook isn't plowed. So from Abol Bridge you ski in to Roaring Brook campground (about 11 miles) towing all of your gear on a sled behind you. The next day you hike to Chimney Pond (snowshoe/crampon depends on conditions) and stay at one of their shelters. Then you just wait for a good weather day to ascend the mountain. I've wanted to do Katahdin in winter for a while, probably shoot for 2006 or 2007. Good luck to you...

I'll start by saying I haven't been on the Knife Edge proper in winter, but I have been to many other parts of the park above and below treeline in all seasons.

That being said, your best bet for reservations is to call headquarters 207.723.5140 and ask about availability. As soon as you decide what is available and what dates you want, fill our your application form (available from BSP) and mail it in ASAP.

Most of the popular long weekends are probably filled by now, but there will be plenty of space if you are flexible (the first day for winter reservations was Nov. 1).

One possible trip is:

Day 1: ski to Roaring Brook (11-12 miles)
Day 2: hike/ski up to Chimney Pond (3.3)
Day 3: hike up Dudley Tr. to Pamola (1.3), traverse KE and summit Baxter Peak (1.1). Head down Saddle to Chimney Pond (2.0)(or throw in Hamlin if all goes well).
Day 4: play and rest/ backup day for bad weather
Day 5: ski down to Roaring Brook and out to road (presumedly Abol).

The rangers use a three color rating system. A Red day will keep you from going anywhere above treeline. Any sign of bad weather will get a strong suggestion from the rangers that you stay off the KE and possibly any above treeline areas. The details of the rating system are availabe at the BSP site above.

A minimum of 4 people is required for above treeline trips. A stay at Roaring Brook the first night on the way in is required (unless you are on the coveted grandfathered lists of folks that are allowed to go to CP in one day).

Most people start at Abol Bridge on the Golden Rd., although I've heard of folks starting on the State Rd. as far as it is plowed (a few miles southeast of Togue Pond entrance). This latter option doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

spencer

I've never done the Knife Edge or Katahdin in winter, but have stayed in the park many times in winter. Like Spencer says, call to check on the availability of the time you want to go and follow the rules.

I've often thought of heading in via the southernmost entrance rather than via Abol Bridge. There are a couple of places to stay along the way - a bunkhouse at Togue Pond holds 4, and there is also the Sunday Pond cabin. Both have great views and would be great places to stay in the winter.

Good luck and enjoy!

Thanks all,
Twig,
Does the bunk house have a phone number?

Spencer your suggestion sounds like the best way to do it. But instead of 3 nights out, we most likely would head out to some sort of lodging after the summit attempt. We plan on traveling on skis without sleds and light, "Alpine Style", Spread loading 1 tent, and carrying everything with us. I would love to stay longer, but part of the group wants to include some ice climbing routes in VT, that have been on their tick list. We're trying to fit in a lot of fun in a week, we'll see what happens???? Thanks for all the info everyone. :D

I believe you are required by park rules to spend one night before Chimney Pond, then two nights at Chimney Pond. Don't know if you need to spend a night in the park on the way out, but you are unlikely to make it from Chimney Pond to the summit and out to the cars in one day. I'm not sure the rangers would allow you to have that option.

There are much more regulations at Baxter than most people are used to. If the rangers don't like your itinerary, or your gear, you don't go.

-dave-

The bunkhouse at Togue Pond is part of BSP - 207-723-5140

Sunday Pond and Compass Pond cabins belong to Kathdin Forest Products (formerly Great Northern) 1-877-622-2467. Cabins are about $90/night and sleep as many people as you want to cram inside and out. Have six generously sized bunks, propane heat and lights, outhouse, sink, but no running water. Very nice.

Check the park's requirements though, cause I believe they are very specific about where you stay the night before Chimney Pond. Chimney can't be your first night.

As I mentioned earlier, Roaring Brook MUST be your first stop en route to CP. On the way out from CP, they do not require you to stay anywhere (it's only 15 miles out: the first 3 are fast as hell and the rest is gentle kick and glide).

I also doubt they'd let you summit and leave the park in the same day unless you are doing it from Abol (up from Abol campground, down and out in one day isn't a big deal -I've done it on foot but it would be downright quick on skis).

If you were carrying all your gear from CP to the summit and then descending Abol Slide and leaving the park that way, you might be okay, but it'd be a lot to carry up and over (assuming skis, snowshoes, axe, helmet, rope, crampons, overnight gear, etc.).

spencer

Hi Brad,

I did the Edge in winter a few years ago.

Spencer has provided you with the basics, and I'll only add that you can keep the tech gear to a minimum. The climb is more of an alpine romp than a New England ice route.

Feel free to e-mail me with any specific questions, etc.

cb