Koflach Boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowcat

Reaction score
Since boots have been on a lot of folks minds, I found a pr of Koflach's while searching around on eBay. They are size 11.5 and up for bid with a $1 bid. so far i don't think anyone has bid on them: Koflach Vertical Ice Climbing/Mountaineering Boots Item number: 5131432198

just thought i'd pass that along since i know a few people have been looking for them
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5131432198&fromMakeTrack=true

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Just a word of caution, the vertical is the same as the Expedition but has a scaled down or smaller shell for better feel when ice climbing. It results in a tighter feel. It also has the normal liner. I had a pair a few years ago and pretty much destroyed them in one season of climbing and hiking. The toe rand peeled off both boots, and the heel of the liners were shredded.

Also watch out for the seller, he only has 1 feedback?

The future is synthetic winter mountaineering boots, double and single, not plastic or leather. Vasque, Lasportiva, Scarpa have all gone to synthetic materials on their top end winter mountaineering boots with outstanding results. These lightweight very warm boots are the wave of the future. Mine even have some kind of ceramic coating embossed into the fabric that reatins heat, as well as reflective coatings inside the boot.

Just my 2 cents.....

New era in double boots

Hey,

When my Koflach Degree liners began to disintegrate last winter, I thought I would try to upgrade in weight and warmth to a (not fully plastic) synthetic double boot.
The Vasques Ice 9000 boot was advertised with a lighter weight (4lb 12oz for size 9) than the Degrees, and I had read enough reviews to think it would be even warmer than the Degrees.

Ice 9000 Light spec

I bought a pair at REI with a 20% off coupon, but when I got them home I found them to be heavier than my Degrees (by a fair margin). I had to return them. I now see them commonly advertised with a much heavier (and closer to my experience) weight (6 lb for size 8.5):

Ice 9000 Heavy spec

For my upgrade, I decided to go with a new lightweight Intuition liner in my old Degree shells. I think this is a really good choice for a light weight, warm double boot for New England winter hiking.

If there are synthetic double boots out there that are indeed lightweight and warm, what are they?

Last edited:
re: seller, he only has 1 feedback?

i didn't see that but it was late and i just came across them - there had been a post for someone wanting plastics so thought i'd just stick them on. i emailed the guy bec he's from michigan, and so am i. guess they are too small for him by 1/2 size - which may tell you they run small? seemed like an ok dude but pleeeeese DON'T take my word. i have never bought off ebay but was cking last night and came across them.

Last edited:
Yes the Intuition liners are very nice.
But comparing the Degree to the Ice 9000 is not fair in my opinion. The Ice9000 is a true High Altitude or Extreme cold weather boot. The Degree is not. It should be compared to the Arctic Exped.
If you look at the weight of Koflachs Arctic expedition, it's almost 7 pounds.
Lasportiva's Nuptse is allegedly 6 lbs.
http://www.sportiva.com/products/mountaineering/nuptse.html

A bit off topic, but I'd like to get more info on the Intuition linres from anyone who knows about them as I suspect this will be the last year with my current Degre liners. Which liners best fit the Degres? (I would think the "Touring/Climbing Boot Liners", but just want to check). Any additional info like footbeds, etc is helpful. I'd likely go with Superfeet insoles. Thx!