koflach degree vs. acrtis

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the starchild

Reaction score
waz up y'all,

I have decided to return some nice, leather insulated mtneer boots in favor(and need of) double boots.

if money was not a factor, which do you (or would you) wear in the mtns. for backpacking and long day hikes? (and some ice climbing)any why?

what are the aftermarket options for the inner boot?

thank you.

Koflach boots

For more trail winter mountaineering, go w/ the Degre', It walks better, flex wise.
For more technical ice climbing, go w/ the Vertical, It's a little stiffer & rated for 10 degrees colder.
I've heard the liner in the Arctis Expe' although warmer, 10 more degrees, has a shorter life due to compression.
The best solution I heard was (for an even mix of both types of use) get the Verticals. Order them 1/2 size larger & get Expe's liners also and use them only for extreme cold. (The shell to the Expe's are sized 1 size larger to fit the liner.) Size 12 is really a size 13.
I went w/ the Verticals for more extreme conditions & technical ice climbing, and use a well insulated leather for most of the trail climbing. Did not order the Expe' liners. (pricy). Just got them this Summer and have not used them yet.
They are not in any store I know of, but I special ordered them from EMS. And don't let them tell you 1/2 sizes are not available. What happens is, if you order a pair of 11.5's, the liner is 11.5, but the shell is a 12.
If I could only have one pair of winter boots, and it was mostly trail climbing, I would go w/ the Degre's.
Hope that helps.
Tom

I would not choose to walk long miles in the Verticals -- get the Degres or Expes. (I think the Degres are sufficient for northeastern conditions.) They are perfectly adequate for high-angle snow climbs and some ice -- I'd use them up through WI3 for sure. For vertical ice, the Verticals are better, but you may be kicking yourself from unnecessary shin pain and fatigue if you hike far in them.

i guess i also should have asked for any other double boot info, although the two koflach models and an asolo model are the only three available locally.

has anyone owned or atleast seen, held and tried on the nuptse?

thanks el-bagr and wildpeaks for your comments,

Ouch!

you may be kicking yourself from unnecessary shin pain and fatigue if you hike far in them.

Oh my, I couldn't agree more! I have a pair of Verticals that are absolutely painful to walk in (my shins and esp on the downhills) Maybe it depends on the size of your leg, and I'm sure they fit everyone differently, but boy are they painful on me. (I'm not an ice climber) Fit great when I'm not walking..............guess that kinda defeats the purpose!! I might be looking into an alternative winter boot also! (What Vertical size are you???!) ;)

Starchild,

When I bought my K4's, the shop had a pair special ordered Nuptse's for a woman going to Denali. It's built on it's own last, but it seemed very similar to mine but with the liner. The feedback I hear, is they are awesome. Very good for approaches, or miles of walking on rolling terrain. One Alaska Guide outfit, called it the new "Denali boot"

I almost went that route,
but decided for the K4s, and am very happy with them. They are built on the Makalu last, and do about everything very well. Plenty warm enough, but much lighter. I really wanted something lighter than my doubles, but about as warm. I went a full size bigger than my iceclimbing boots, with all the adjustments that can be made with Lasportiva's EZ Flex removable Velcro® adjustable tongue, and EZ System lace hardware , you can go from very thick socks or double socks for the really cold days, or thinner socks for the balmy winter days. You can really adjust for volume.
I used to dread more than a 4 or five mile approach in my Koflach and Asolo plastics. Not anymore.

Last edited: